Start by marking “Apartment Gardening: Plants, Projects, and Recipes for Growing Food in Your Urban Home” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  264 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Forget the 100-mile eat-local diet; try the 300-square-foot-diet — grow squash on the windowsill, flowers in the planter box, or corn in a parking strip. Apartment Gardening details how to start a garden in the heart of the city. From building a window box to planting seeds in jars on the counter, every space is plantable, and this book reveals that the DIY futur ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Apartment Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apartment Gardening

Larissa
I really like this book--Pennington's anecdotal voice, her practical and commonsensical tips which are neither too obvious nor too complicated, her enthusiasm, cute illustrations, predilection for planting some less well known veggies/spices (Love-in-the-mist) alongside old favorites (zucchini). I learned a lot from this book (you can use coffee grounds for fertilizer?!) and got really excited about starting my very own apartment garden. I even drew a chart out, planning my first crops.

And then
James Eckman
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A gift book that would be much more useful if any of my condo had direct sunlight.
CC
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book would serve as a good resource for people living in an apartment who want to do some urban gardening. It functions more as a reference book than a straight-through read. The tips are practical and down-to-earth, many of which could be completed in an afternoon. Many urban gardening/homesteading/DIY books are filled with wildly expensive and impractical projects that no one with a job or family could ever hope to accomplish. Apartment Gardening was not so; ideas ranged from simple vermi ...more
Florence
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely geared for people who have access to balconies of some sort. If you're in an urban area, have access to a lot of sunlight, and want to figure out how to plant herbs/small veggies to harvest, this is a great book. (Sadly, if you don't have a lot of sunlight, I don't think you'll benefit much from this book).

I learned a lot as a novice/new gardener - the author covers a lot of basics very well. She doesn't push expensive solutions to you, and she's very practical. I hugely appreciated t
Jessica Thurlow
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, educational
Some good information for first time gardeners (i.e. me), but not all the information I was looking for. I was interested in learning about how to care for common vegetables/herbs/fruits that I could successfully grow in containers on my balcony. What I found in this book was care information for uncommon vegetables/herbs/flowers/fruits such as chervil and lovage. While I appreciate learning about new foods to try, this information doesn't help me learn how to care for my celery, onions, or broc ...more
Melissa Helwig
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Less than half of this 174 page book is actually tips for growing plants in an apartment. Most of this book is comprised of recipes, instructions on how to make homemade beauty products and how to make huge and complicated planters (a filing cabinet laid on its side won't fit in my apartment or on my tiny balcony).

This book wouldn't be useful at all for someone who isn't a beginner at gardening because the chapters that don't feature recipes or DIY instructions are gardening basics like what a
Story
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Some good ideas, and a little bit of good information regarding the limitations and considerations of growing plants in pots. I most appreciated the advice on what "double duty" flowers to grow.

Very much a beginner's book. If that's where you're starting, this may very well be a fantastic book for you. I am less of a beginner, and was looking for something more in-depth.

A huge chunk of this book was recipes, and unlike The Quarter Acre Farm, where they were tucked in the back of each chapter a
Henderson County Public Library
Vegetable gardening is enjoying a resurgence in popularity as more people desire to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle and become more self-sufficient. Mitchell and Pennington’s books share that growing your own vegetables and herbs is no longer only for those who have a spacious backyard; people with no place for a vegetable garden can grow their own food, too. Aspiring gardeners who live in apartments, assisted living facilities, and other dwellings where potential gardening space is non-exist ...more
Marti
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is a good introduction, but I felt it would have been a better fit if I lived in the Pacific Northwest. I learned a lot about feeding and watering plants. I also had no idea what would be good for container gardening, and this book certainly helped me narrow down what I'm interested in planting. I liked that there was an arc to the book from seed to recipe.

In the end, though, I felt simultaneously overwhelmed and undereducated. I'll definitely need to do more research before starting
Ariadna73
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hands-on-books
Check out my review about this book in my blog in Spanish: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
What I liked the most from this book is the tremendous amount of information that it contains. There are no fancy photographs; no expensive print paper; but it gets to the point right away and gives useful advice. I hope I had the will to grow something at home; but after reading this I realize it is much more work that I thought.
Jeannette
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has good information if you're container gardening, but really, only the first third of the book was really useful to me. The last two thirds contains recipes and diy planter info, which wasn't what I was expecting (but then again, the complete title is "plants, projects & recipes"). I guess I was just interested in the plants part.
Heather G
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I appreciated this book as I'm a total beginner and want to grow a few things on my deck. There is a width of info here but not a lot of depth if you aren't a beginner.
Also appreciated the step-by-step - grow this at this time and in this size pot, etc. Just what I was looking for. Good ideas about alternative pots, like milk jugs and to spray pot the standard 5 gallon plastic pot.
Alyssa
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Author's approach is helpful to get yourself started on any scale of gardening project. Some ideas are ready to eat in one week. Her thoughts are more practical, focused on using what you have instead of purchasing starter plants and materials. She also includes lots of recipes I'm anxious to try with herbs I'm excited to start growing!
Beckyt
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This would have been a great book to have had during the many years I was growing tomatoes in a galvanized steel tub in front of various apartments, or planting gardens in a scrap of soil by the front door. A very good resource!
Catherine
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: green, farm
Some good tips for beginners. A better title would have been "Patio Gardening," because it assumes your apartment comes with outdoor space and does not really address the concerns of the indoor gardener.
Jennybeast
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty straightforward little book, but I learned more about container gardening in this little gem than all the other how-to manuals I've picked up combined. I also really appreciate Amy's accessible and engaging writing style. I'll pick this up again.
Joy
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit repetitive and mostly recipes. Still, it is approachable for a novice like me. I would have liked a bit more detail on say, roots, but again, definitely meant for someone who is just starting out. Definitely encouraged me to start an apartment garden.
Krista
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I'll have to add this one to the library should I ever become motivated enough to start a garden. I do have many limitations on what I can (try to) grow, but I might be brave enough next year to try lettuce at least.
Westerville
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adults, non-fiction
In the end, better for motivation & gardening courage, not so much for detailed, practical instructions. - Tamara, Computer Services

Reserve a library copy!
Desiree'
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
I like how the author makes indoor and outdoor gardening simple and useful. She also adds her own opinions of what she did and how she made it work for her apartment. This is a genius book for the beginner gardener and for those of us who live in small spaces.
Brekke
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5
Jessica
Decent book. I feel that it took on a bit too much in a small space though. I feel that if they took out the recipes it could have added more planting info and projects, for example. Still, I enjoyed it.
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've gotten on this new gardening kick... This book was really good, however, I was expecting more of an indoor garden and this book focuses more on having a garden on the porch or balcony of your apartment. I don't have a porch...
Erin
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Good ideas for gardening in small spaces, but slightly disappointed a good portion of the book is recipes. After the recipes there are some good plans for making your own planters that I am interested in using, though.
Anne
Jul 12, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
This seems to be a really good reference. I thought, in part because of the cover photo, that it would be a mix of indoor and balcony gardening tips, but it seems to be focused on balconies. It does, however, have a lot of useful looking information (what to plant and how to plant it, etc.).
Rachel
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Practical! Useful!
Michelle
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Great beginners guide to growing potted edibles - far more thorough than similar books, but still simple and easy-to-understand. My black thumb has needed this book!
Tamara
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Conversational in tone. No pictures; just some sparse pencil sketches.

lisa
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
So, so not impressed. I could have found this information in any gardening book. There was no useful information on apartment gardening.
Leah
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: envir, how-to
Quick, simple tips and tricks for the lazy, time'n'space-restricted, and frequently-housemoving gardener.
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Your Farm in the City: An Urban Dweller's Guide to Growing Food and Raising Animals
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Small-Space Container Gardens: Transform Your Balcony, Porch, or Patio with Fruits, Flowers, Foliage, and Herbs
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
  • The Garden Primer
  • Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It: The D.I.Y. Guide to the Good Life
  • The Quarter-Acre Farm: How I kept the patio, lost the lawn, and fed my family for a year