Start by marking “My House Is Killing Me!: The Home Guide for Families with Allergies and Asthma” as Want to Read:
My House Is Killing Me!: The Home Guide for Families with Allergies and Asthma

My House Is Killing Me!: The Home Guide for Families with Allergies and Asthma

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
It's a world we barely see, but it is teeming with life. In the dust of a typical house, carpet beetles, mites, silverfish, and other creatures live and die, producing new generations every few months. Mold, bacteria, and yeast lurk undetected in heating and cooling systems. Debris dispersed into the air from these organisms can cause runny noses, itchy eyes, coughing, hea ...more
Published October 8th 2001 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published October 2001)

To ask other readers questions about My House Is Killing Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My House Is Killing Me!

Jodyishappy
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a great book and was setup well. Each chapter addressed a different area of the home and problems that often happen there. Reading the chapter will let you enjoy several funny little stories which will really make you think. At the end of the chapter there was something like a bullet check off list. I liked the organization. I like how the author used they technical terms, but always defined them for you as well. I will warn you, this book is NOT A FAST READ. I would read about somethin ...more
Angela
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good case for both cleaning thoroughly, and leaving the commercial cleaning products at the store. Helps us think about whether we should bring that Target plastic-smell home with us...
Kristi
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was so helpful. Some of my family has allergies, and also gets migraines from environmental toxins or allergens. The book helped me to identify things that needed to be changed in the house or removed, and I can already see a difference in our health and fewer migraines. There were some things mentioned in here that I never would have thought of myself.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has been used as a refrence guide once we found we had mold in the house. When we called up several companies to get quotes we knew what to ask, which equipment they should use, how they should go about cleaning etc.

It helped us make a better choice, make sure we weren't wasting our money and get informed about the subject.
Michelle Coutu
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall this book is a solid guide for families with allergies and asthma issues. It addressed a lot of seemingly common sense scenarios in an antidotal format making it an easy ready for those without a strong science background. I personally found it lacking but can see where it would be a useful resource for those who have never had to manage moisture and biological growth in buildings before.
Cynthia
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-it
If you want to be totally grossed out by your house, read this. Or, for a positive spin, if you want to find out ways to make your house as clean as possible, read this. There's interesting stuff living in our walls, attics, basements... gack!!!
Edy Gies
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I see the necessity and I did learn some things, but it was really, really, gross.
Jo
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From basement to attic, great tips for identifying and controlling sources of allergins and indoor pollutants. No wonder we are all having health issues.
Jody Phillips
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
There is so much to learn when you have allergy issues. This book is well documented.
Carol R. MacNeil
May 18, 2017
Paul Saler
Jul 24, 2014
Olinda
Aug 27, 2013
Ramon Leon
rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2015
Michelle
Nov 13, 2010
Melissa
Apr 01, 2011 is currently reading it
My boys have asthma & I will do anything to help them.
Daniel Glickman
Apr 20, 2011
Diane
Aug 18, 2011
Jeffrey C. May, M.A., CIAQP (Certified Indoor Air Quality Professional) is a building consultant, indoor air quality expert, and the principal scientist of May Indoor Air Investigations LLC in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He has conducted indoor environmental investigations in thousands of buildings, including offices, schools, and homes; and he has personally analyzed over 20,000 air and dust sample ...more
More about Jeffrey C. May...