Start by marking “Pride & Joy” as Want to Read:
Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  257 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
PRIDE & JOY is a suspenseful thriller that chillingly investigates the powers of familial relationships and hidden pasts. After his wife's tragic death, former criminal Jimmy Kavanagh is struggling to raise his young daughter while regaining the love of his rebellious teenage son. But when the psychotic killer that Jimmy betrayed years ago comes looking for vengeance, ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Pride & Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride & Joy

Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Didn't like the story or the artwork much at all.
Dan
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
too much like History of violence.
Sud666
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, crime
Pride and Joy is a one shot Graphic Novel by Garth Ennis. It is the tale of Jimmy Kavanagh, a widower and father of two children. He is a good father, trying hard to connect with his oldest son who is very different from him. Jimmy is a tough, hard working guy who likes Baseball and drinking. His son is a "sensitive" type, who reads and has gotten accepted to Harvard. His daughter is ten and adores him. But, one day Jim drops his kids off at a neighbors and wanders into to his home and find two ...more
Albert
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pride & Joy is another terrific offering from Garth Ennis as he continually cements his position at the top of crime noir graphic novel genre. For fans of Preacher, you will not find any paranormal happenings in Pride & Joy, but instead you will be treated to a gritty and visceral attack on your senses in this tale of one man's battle with guilt and redemption as he to make up for his dark and tragic past.

Jimmie Kavanagh is a single father, his wife's tragic death leaving him with a youn
Travis Duke
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Garth Ennis sets up a nice little story about family and regret. It starts out strong when we meet Jimmy who is taking care of his two kids. There are hints of crime and mystery that flow well with the story but towards the end it falls a little flat for me. The art is straight 80's but it isn't horrible. Its not bad to read once but would I would have a hard time recommending it.
Hilary
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Every now and then I read a book that stops me dead in my tracks when I finish it. It's the sort of book that sticks to you like after you finish it. It lingers like a scent in the air and no matter what you do you can't really get past it. It's there, lodged into your soul like a bullet and nothing will ever take it out. Pride & Joy, like so much of what I've read of Ennis, was just that sort of book.

It was just
Chad
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I first came across this when it was published by Vertigo in the 90's, I find for the most part it still holds up today. The sins of the past come back to haunt a father and his children. An old associate has gotten out of prison and comes seeking revenge. The "current" story still works today. It's the past retelling of what went down that feels dated. It's too long and takes you out of the main story where you had this real feeling of forboding.

Received an advance copy from NetGalley in excha
melissa
This was a fairly solid, yet typical crime/revenge drama.

Jimmy Kavanagh's been hiding out and playing family after the shit hit the fan in Hell's Kitchen. But, well, when you're in the phone book, you're not exactly laying low and the past will come a calling.

I would have liked to see more on Stein, the psychopath looking for revenge. There was some fantastic gore in his kill of Kavanagh's friend. And, sadly, neither Jimmy nor his son are terribly interesting.

*Digital review copy provided by Net
Mark Desrosiers
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Tough-guy dad and his twitchy emo son escape, through a dark forest of cliches, from a zero-affect nemesis named Stein. Hard not to plop a bust of Carl Jung on top of all this, but the story's actually quite entertaining, until things wind up in ultra-schlocky fashion at the finish.
Amber
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Really touches on how true toxic masculinity is.
Viktor
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
It takes what is essentially a short story and spreads it out over 100+ pages. "Well, son, there's something I've never told you. Maybe I'll tell you about sometime, but now now." Of course, he tells his son the story not too much later.

The ending is VERY predictable.

Wayne McCoy
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Pride & Joy' by Garth Ennis with art by John Higgins is a reprint of a miniseries from 2004. It's a story of fathers and sons and the things we choose to believe about our fathers.

Jimmy Kavanagh recently lost his wife and lives with his 10 year old daughter Rachel and his 17-year old son Patrick. His relationship with Patrick is strained, and made moreso by Jimmy's stories of the heroic exploits of his own father. Jimmy's past comes back to haunt him through a couple low life criminals and
Vanessa
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I was kind of disappointed in this, particularly after reading a few volumes of "Preacher." The beginning of the story had a lot of promise: single father with two kids must escape mysterious past. And you don't exactly know what that past is, but you know that it involves someone who has a fascination with observing your entrails up close and personal.

And then I don't know what happened. Everything after that got so rushed that the back story ended up being some flash in the pan that didn't ev
Theediscerning
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very welcome reprint of a book I'd not seen before – a mid-90s Garth Ennis drama, where a man with major problems with his teenaged son, and a pretty young daughter, both left him by a since-dead wife, finds out what a real major problem looks like when his past comes back to haunt him. While a lot of that has been done before, there is also the complex family nature, and a lot of talk of masculinity, how fathers expect their sons to be, etc. Yes, that lot of talk can make the book seem wordy ...more
Phillip
Disclaimer: I received a free ecopy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second Garth Ennis book I've read. It shares some qualities with Preacher. The main character has a sketchy past and does quite a bit of posturing. Pride & Joy is more grounded in reality, although the antagonist, Stein, has a supernatural element to him.

Basically what happens is that Jimmy Kavanaugh is still struggling with the death of his wife. He has little connection to his son and is figuring
Rachel
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
A mediocre tale at best, Pride and Joy gives you no reason to sympathize with any of the characters, except maybe the poor little girl stuck in the middle of this sappy and depressing plot. Typical of Ennis there is "violence for the sake of violence," rendered in grisly detail.

The plot basically centers around a manly widowed man (with a dark and disturbing past that comes back to haunt him) and his wussy teenaged son, who prefers reading and crying. I think there was supposed to be some fathe
Paul Allard
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Trying to escape your past isn't always easy

Jimmy Kavanagh, a widower, is living quietly with his two children when two escaped convicts join him and all of them, including the children, go on the run to escape a psychopath called Stein.

A lot of the plot is about why Jimmy is running and who from while he tries to protect his family in the macho way that he is used to. A lot of death and bloodshed ensue. Some sort of justice is the result. A morality tale, well-told and illustrated.
Brooke
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was okay. The characters are stereotypical and a bit irritating, and the plot is a bit flat. It was just like a big ehhhh. Stein was an interesting villain but ultimately his motives were just blah. It was even a bit hokey at times. I'd skip this one unless you're a big Ennis fan.
One Flew
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Unlike a lot of the reviews of Pride and Joy, mine is a postive one. Ennis uses his usual tools of violence, an emotion based story arc and hard men. The core story involving the dysfunctional father son relationship was far less interesting than the sociopathic Stein, but overall it was fun. Stein makes a very creepy villian, worth reading for his ungodly weird looking eyes alone.
Angela
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A Dad's violent past comes back to haunt him while he is trying to build a relationship with his grown son. This has some nice character moments in it, but is violent too. A thought provoking short read.
Silence
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, arcs
Sadly, this isn't my favorite by Ennis. I didn't click with the artistic style and the pace felt off. Maybe if the story had stretched out a little longer I mean get have had move time to become invested. It's still a worthy read for longtime fans though.
Beth Wisniewski
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Preacher was amazing so I thought I'd give this "one off" book by Garth Ennis a try! It was fantastic and it helped that the "mother" in the story worked at a library! :)

Great graphic novel by a great author!
J Higgins
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Garth Ennis lets go of his needs for extreme perversion and general weirdness to tell and extremely human story about fatherhood, regret and redemption. If you like the Americana mythology of Preacher, you'll enjoy this immensely.
Stephen Theaker
May 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Definitely not vintage Garth Ennis, this reads like a pale imitation of A History of Violence (which is a bit unfair, since they were published at about the same time). I found the ruminations on what makes a man less than convincing, though perhaps that was the idea.
Stephen
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Seemed similar to true crime books, revenge novels and modern gangster movies I've seen, but spliced together in non-copyright violating ways. The art was not great. I got it on clearance and it didn't make the cut regarding my personal collection -- I'm donating it to the local library sale.
I'm not a big Ennis fan -- usually I find his work boring, sexist, and the 'violence for the sake of violence' dull. However this story really captivated me. Too bad it is out of print and so hard to find, because I really enjoyed it.
Kenny
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Garth never writes a bad yarn. Bastard!
Timo
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I remember being totally blown away when I read this first time. But what I had forgotten was how totally brilliant this is.
Touching, violent, funny and warm. Just the way only Ennis can do it.
Patrick
I didn't get into this. The dialogue wasn't the best I've read, I'll put it that way. okay story. Artworo was solid.

I received an advanced copy of this from Netgalley.com and the publisher.
Nomad nimrod
  • Poet Anderson: The Dream Walker
  • Camp Midnight
  • Batman: Secrets
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 7: Eben and Stella
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Octopus Pie: Volume 2
  • Jonah Hex: No Way Back
  • James Bond, Vol. 1: VARGR
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Codename Baboushka, Volume 1: The Conclave of Death
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...