Start by marking “Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters” as Want to Read:
Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters

Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters

Beloved author Jane Yolen scares up a new rhyming read-aloud about the snarfing, growling, snoring way that monsters go to bed.

Creep, gurgle, crawl, tumble! Meet two young monsters who are far from scary - they’re too busy having fun. They go to school, play outside with their friends, and eat after-school snacks. But they also have a bedtime, whether or not they’re ready
Published July 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press

Start your review of Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters
Abigail
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Sweetly Monstrous Bedtime Stories
"Monsters creep, Monsters crawl, / Over the meadow, And up the wall," begins this monstrous bedtime book from the prolific Jane Yolen, with artwork by Kelly Murphy. The simple sing-song narrative, which follows two particular monsters as they make their way home one evening, gives way to onomatopoeic play at the end, as the two little creatures toss and turn in bed, until finally... well, the inevitable happens.

Chosen as one of our October selections in the Picture-Book Club to which I belong, w
Crystal Marcos
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is fun for my 2 year old and I to read. There are few words on a page and it reads great out loud. The cover is cute and funny with a monster scaring a monster at bedtime. We enjoy the little monsters doing everyday activities like going to school, eating dinner, and going to bed. My daughter especially loves the playground scene. The illustrations are detailed with clever little details like a bug night light in the bedroom and Olive Goo on the kitchen table. Perfect for battling the ...more
Teacher.
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
Reviewed at my blog: HERE @ Teacher.Mother.Reader Book Blog

Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters by Jane Yolen is a Monster themed lullaby for little book-loving monsters. Yolen is also the author of the very popular series of books “How Do Dinosars _______?” We chose this book at our library because of the fun and cute cover showing 2 monsters playing ‘peek-a-boo’. The book is an oversized hardcover with shiny and colorful pages. The illustrations are somewhat muted, with dark backgrounds, adding to
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters is a perfect fall-fun bedtime tale filled with warm colors, silly energy, big smiles, and lots of eyeballs!

I had oodles of fun with a pile of kids counting eyeballs, scouring the pages for hidden monsters, growling, grunting, and guessing which monster would leave the slimiest goo trail through the park! :)

A reading experience that will spark imaginations of all ages!

Plus this book holds one of my favorite silly words—“SNARF”! hehe…The definition grosses me, but
Kathryn
Fun for little ones who prefer their monsters on the cuter side (lots of fun non-scary monsters in these delightful illustrations), I was left a bit underwhelmed. While the story begins smoothly and pleasantly as little monsters hurry home and enjoy dinner and bedtime rituals, the rhyme scheme falls apart at the end and it all just feels a little stuck together once the monsters try to go to sleep.
Dee-Ann
This book is 3.5 stars (but definitely not 4). Simple text, which rhymes. Cute pictures and there are elements of Monsters Inc in the book. Even though it is about monsters, it is a nice sleep inducing, peaceful-dream promoting sort of book.
Cole W
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
The book is about child monsters and the progression of their day. It starts with them crossing the road and playing outside. It continues with the two monsters playing outside; then, they rush home for dinner. After dinner, they go to bed, but both monsters have trouble sleeping. The mother gives them milk to try to help them sleep; after a while, they eventually fall asleep.
The theme of the book, I believe, is fun and routine. Both monster play and have fun all day. At the same time, all fun
Cathy
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great picture book with awesome rhythm as kids watch the monsters head to bed after a busy day of creeping and crawling. Read this aloud at a Halloween party and the kids loved the illustrations and the lullaby.
Marie
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this was going to be a good read when I started in and then it fell flat for me at the end. In the beginning I thought it was a great choice for a storytime, but I did not like the last few pages, so I am going to pass on this one.
Jenny
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The charming illustrations are engaging and funny.
Ani
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my little girl, she likes it a lot. She ask me to read it over and over again.
Homegrown Reader
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Bug’s still processing what the heck this whole Halloween thing is all about. Right now he’s a fan. There’s candy, trips to the pumpkin patch, arts and crafts, dress up, what’s not to love? The only thing I dislike about Halloween, is that switch from Aww to Ahh! I can’t handle scary, I despise gore and horror. I love the magic and wonder of Halloween, the chance to wander around dressed as a fantastic being without being a total nut job. I like embracing my imagination and letting creativity ta ...more
David
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Kelly Murphy is a not too scary monster lullaby featuring monster children who don't want to go to bed.

Monster children get out of school and creep, crawl, run, stumble, hip-hop, tumble, slither and run home for a bite to eat. After a bath and prayers, it's time for bed, but they toss, turn, bounce, growl, gurgle, burp, snarl, snarf, and finally, sleep.

The rhyming text shows monsters are a lot like children. Much of the book has two
Julia Jasztal
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mommy's review from 8/22/11 -

I'm always shocked at how much I love some of Yolen's stories and how much I hate others. Usually, no matter the author, I don't really like stories with such few words. I do, however, like rhyming stories much like Julia does.
This has very, very few words. About as few as you can get without having no words almost. But it's good. I'll give credit where credit is due. It's real good. There are a lot of Yolen books out there that I couldn't stand and there are others
Dolly
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun, but somehow dissatisfying story that shows that even little monsters have a hard time going to sleep. The narrative rhymes, but the rhyme falls apart at the end. And the book claims to be a lullaby, but I'm not sure it really fits. The onomatopoeia at the end is fun, but doesn't seem to fall in line with the rest of the narrative and the ending made me feel that something was missing. Overall, our girls loved the illustrations and we enjoyed reading this book together, but it just ...more
Jaime Sanborn
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters by Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Kelly Murphy.

This bedtime story follows two adorably boisterous monster children through their daily routine until it is time for sleep. They finish their school day, head for the park, and play and dance their whole way home. Mama Monster greets them at the door and begins their end of day ritual of dinner and bath-time. They may eat worm burgers, use stink soap, and have dangerous carnivorous plants in their home- but they are ju
Laura Driskell
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This poetic rhyming picture book lullaby, is a cute story of a day in the life of a monster. These monsters are act just like a lot of children do when it is time for bed. Yolen did an amazing job pairing up with a great illustrator. The colorful monsters fill the page, even during the dark bedroom pages the colorful monsters draw your eyes attention as they are doing other things besides sleeping. There are so many types of creative monsters illustrated but the story is of two monsters that are ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Two little monsters have a very busy day. They creep to school, run around the playground, hip-hop on rocks, rush home to their cave for a wormy snack, and pretty soon, it is time for bed. The two little monsters are not so excited about that. Yolen’s rhyming verses and Murphy’s impressive illustrations create a monster lullaby that is sure to be a favorite.

Very cute book. Yolen captures the spunk and fun of these little monsters with just a few verses. The illustrations are remarkable. Murphy c
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
The illustrations were the best part of this book; they were colorful and definitely added to the whole monster feel. I loved the kitchen scene because it had a lot of subtle traces of humor. It was fun to read the labels and see what had been put in for older readers. The story was fairly simple and while I enjoyed the pictures, I didn't really warm up to this book. There was something missing. But if you really enjoy monster books and oftentimes have a hard time getting your own monsters, er, ...more
Hilary
I do story time at the bookstore I work at. This book was a *big* hit! It was liked by the preschool set today more than books by Eric Carle, Marla Frazee, and other great, fantastic authors.

The plot of the book is simple. Little monsters go through their little monster days and then it's bath/bedtime! Lots of adjectives are used to narrate the story. What can I say? Jane Yolen you are a genius!

The author of How do Dinosaurs say Goodnight? gets it right!

Monster themed books are a tricky area.
Hailee
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters was a quick, cute lullaby form story that shows that monsters aren't scary. It was a good way to get little kids who still believe in monsters to know that monsters aren't scary, they're just like us! I would use it for a younger audience, probably kindergarten through second grade. I think it's a good fit for this age group because that's the age when kids tend to think there is something under their bed and they assume it's something that wants to hurt them. I ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
Such an absolutely sweet unique bedtime story! The text itself wasn't long and hard to read simple sentences per page with wonderful illustrations taking up the entire pages. Most of the text was in rhyme. The monsters was drawn very similar to the monsters on the tv cartoon movie Monsters Inc so if your child is familiar with that movie then they'll love this book! Very sweet bedtime book for a little boy or girl! Or like my 2 year old granddaughter has done she'll take it and just sit and look ...more
Zayneea
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
creepy monsters, sleepy monsters b

creepy monsters, sleepy monsters c

creepy monsters, sleepy monsters d

Little monsters going to sleep. Very cute picture book, with a poem perfect for little kids at bedtime. Chose this book for the illustrations. The little monsters in it are absolutely adorable.
Barbara
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
After a busy day doing all the things little monsters do, it's time for bed. But do monsters go easily to bed? Well, they're just like other little ones, and they don't settle in for a good sleep without a little more frolicking and bedjumping. There's a "growl," a "gurgle," a "burp," and a "grrr" or two, and then finally, they fall asleep. In this rhyming text with great sounds, young readers will see that even monsters get sleepy. The softly hued illustrations lend a sentimental feel to the pa ...more
Sam
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit
I don't know what it is about these monster books that Jane Yolen has put out now (Romping Monsters Stomping Monsters...or something to that effect). I just don't like them! My co-workers at the library enjoyed them very much, but...I just don't think there is much of a story to them. I did enjoy this one better than the previously mentioned one. I love the art work...the story is just lacking something.
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Clear, engaging illustrations fill this lullaby book by Jane Yolen. Monsters featured are not terribly scary in looks or deeds. Words are sparse but well used. Rhyming give the story a good pace. Only wish is when I think lullaby I think song. I wish the author had included a tune so this story could be sung or read.

Mari
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Short, rhyming text with silly looking monsters. I'm not sure yet if I'd want to use it in a storytime. It's short enough for using with toddlers, but don't know how I feel about sharing a monster book with a group of 2 year olds that I don't know personally. A possibility for preschool stortime.
Emilyn
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
Took this one home since my 2.5 year old is currently going through a period of asking where the monsters are. Not sure if he's scared of monsters or just curious, but thought a cute monster book might help. He's liking the book (though it's a bit below his attention span/reading level at this point).
Gphatty
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, childrens
Love the art -- wonderfully silly, creepy monsters, doing silly creepy things (the highlight being the dinner table and the choice of foods). I wish there was more rhyming, more text, and a slightly better ending than "We're not tired" followed quickly by sleep, after all the exuberance and play of the majority of the book. (This is long and winded way of saying it ends too abruptly for me.)
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters is the story of monsters going home from school, eating their supper, taking a bath, even saying their prayers, and then getting into bed. All seems normal but kooky, too.

“Monsters slither,
Monsters wave,
All in a hurry
To get to their cave…”

Monsters and bedtime are always great subjects for children's books.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • Curious George's 1 to 10 and Back Again
  • You Are (Not) Small
  • Bats at the Library
  • Have You Seen My Lunch Box?
  • Owen's Marshmallow Chick
  • Clifford's Bedtime Story
  • No No Yes Yes
  • Bears and a Birthday
  • My Very First Book of Food
  • Animals with Tiny Cat
  • Moomin's Little Book of Numbers
  • Hero vs. Villain: A Book of Opposites
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more

News & Interviews