Start by marking “The 120 Days of Sodom” as Want to Read:
The 120 Days of Sodom

The 120 Days of Sodom

3.15  ·  Rating details ·  6,387 Ratings  ·  520 Reviews
The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade relates the story of four wealthy men who enslave 24 mostly teenaged victims and sexually torture them while listening to stories told by old prostitutes. The book was written while Sade was imprisoned in the Bastille and the manuscript was lost during the storming of the Bastille. Sade wrote that he "wept tears of blood" over the m ...more
Nook, 376 pages
Published October 8th 2010 by Wilder Publications (first published 1785)

To ask other readers questions about The 120 Days of Sodom, please sign up.

Sam I saw it in Italian with English subs. It was hard for me to complete, which I guess might have been the point.

Either way, there is absolutely no way…more

Either way, there is absolutely no way of making a film adaptation of this without it being difficult to view to some degree. (less)
Glauconar Yue Original language is French, but there should be plenty English translations.

Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
"Δεν μπορει κανεις να φανταστει σε ποιο βαθμο, ο ανθρωπος τα ποικιλλει[τα παθη], οταν φλογιστει η φαντασια του. Οι διαφορες αναμεσα τους, υπερμετρες σ’ ολες τις αλλες τους μανιες, σ’ ολες τις αλλες τους πραξεις, μεγαλωνουν ακομη πιο πολυ. Οποιος μπορεσει να προσδιορισει και να καταγραψει λεπτομερως αυτες τις παρεκτροπες θα δωσει ισως μια απο τις ωραιοτερες και πιο ενδιαφερουσες μελετες γυρω απο τα ηθη".

Μαρκησιος Ντε Σαντ.

Οι 120 μέρες των Σοδόμων είναι σύμφωνα με όλα τα πρότυπα αλλά και τη γνώμη
Ian
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zelmire is an exceptionally beautiful name. It’s a shame I’d never be able to bestow it on my daughter for fear of her asking someday where I got the idea...
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Your Boss's Kid
Recommended to Paquita Maria by: AMAZON DOT COM!
Shelves: literature

You can buy this 2009 dramedy used from THE AMAZON for as low as $1.65! You may be saying "What a deal! But what is it all about?" Well, I'll tell you! LOL!

This is the story of a boy who works for a successful greeting card company. One day, his boss hires a new assistant named Sodom who, in typical MPDG fashion, has decided that she doesn't believe in love anymore, and that Frank Zappa's classic song Any Way the Wind Blows is her life philosophy, because she likes subversive Psychedelic Rock an
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
***3" FUCKED UP x's INFINITY " STARS***

Marquis De Sade described his novel as "the most impure tale that has ever been told since our world began". .

I know I've said this numerous times but I've never meant it more than I do right now. THIS. STORY . IS. NOT. FOR. EVERYONE. It's obnoxiously repetitive, gruesome beyond belief, and just plain disgusting. With that said, the authors imagination is disturbingly fascinating and surprisingly comical... **don't judge me!** De Sage managed to make m
Katie
Nov 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that when I say this book was an amazing read, I am attempting to indicate that I was amazed in the real sense of the word - I was astounded by the gravity of the text I was engulfed in; darkly enthralled by the sheer disgust I felt. I have never in my life been more horrified and strangely captivated by a book and although it was not a pleasure read I feel it was an important book to explore, although not one I would rush to read again.
Anthony Gramuglia
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a prude. I am not the type of person who will hesitate from delving into works others might find dark. One of my favorite novels is the Exorcist, commonly regarded as one of the most terrifying books ever written. I have pictures on the push-pin board in front of me while I write this containing images from Silent Hill, Audition, and other really gruesome stuff...of course, next to that I have pictures from It's a Wonderful Life and Aladdin, but that's not the point! Point is, I have no ...more
David Acevedo
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things that I like most about good literature is its ability to break the confines of conventionalism. Literature, in that sense, is tantamount to being a libertine.

This novel takes the reader to the darkest of the darkest corners of possible, degrading, violent, scatological behaviour. And yet, the fact that it creates a certain fascination that will not allow the reader to halt his or her reading the text, is an achievement in itself.

The 120 Days of Sodom is a voyage of cruelty, t
Emily May
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Well, what's to like? The part where a grown man (view spoiler)
Deniz Balcı
'Sodom'un 120 Günü' birçok kez okuduğum kitaplardan bir tanesi. Yayınevinin tam metni, 200.yılı şerefine yayımlayacağını öğrendiğimde bir kere daha okuma kararını vermiş, uygun bir zamanı gözetmiştim. Sadizmin babası olarak anılan M.de Sade'ın eserlerini böyle kısa bir yorumda anlatmak ne yazık ki pek mümkün değil. Zira kitapların içeriği ne kadar sert ve aykırı olursa olsun, Sade her daim alttan altta felsefi sorgulamalar içindedir. Ben şahsım adına bunları düşündürücü ve aydınlatıcı buluyorum. ...more
Neil
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess, even as a very avid consumer of literature, I have never before been compelled to actually write a book review – this one did.
This book explores the absolute depths of human corruption, and is the most depraved piece of text I have ever read. Unlike many of the reviewers here, I endured the whole, and reached the end – day 120.

This sordid 450 page tome is divided across four stages or ‘passions’ equating to the level of depravity the libertines are allowed to explore: one, simpl
Sofia Rodriguez
I honestly don't know if I can finish this book. I was recommended this book after reading "American Psycho". I was looking for something that would feed my craving for a gore fest thriller. I don't know what this is. The first couple of pages left me questioning my sanity as to if I should finish it (a question that I thought would be a clear NO for someone who was mentally healthy). But I continued. I bought this book about a year ago and am still grappling with how gross and utterly dehumaniz ...more
JP
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay. Good lord. Where the hell do I start.

I hesitated before reading this book because I despise the concept of Libertinism and saw myself throwing my iphone across the room. I do like Sade's views on homosexuality and women's sexual freedom. But the rest of his work is just a clusterfuck of coprophagia, pedophilia, homocide, incest, sodomy, torture, sacriligion, disembowling, rape, orgies, spilled seed and horribleness.

With that being said, I read both 120 Days of Sodom and La Philosophie dans
Britt
Jul 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, horror
A word to those who put this on their to-read list: I'm fairly certain this version of the book is the watered down version. If you want to read the original, there's an e-book version floating around online. That's what I read.

Of course I didn't like it. This was the most disgusting book I've ever read, and I doubt there is any as vile out there in the world. For grammar and wording it would receive 5 stars; de Sade is certainly intelligent...the more to fear him.

The book is about four disgusti
Çağdaş T
de Sade adını çok duyduğum, okuduklarımda bir şekilde karşılaştığım bir yazardı. Haydarpaşa Kitap Günleri'nde de Çivi Yazıları Yayınevi standından arkadaşımın tavsiyesiyle almıştım bu kitabı.
Ahlakla ilgili sayısız kitap, düşünce ve tez mevcut. Neyin ahlak neyin ahlak dışı olduğunun kesin çizgileri mevcut olmamakla birlikte; zamana, topluma ve kişiye göre değişebilen bir kavram.
İnsanoğlunun, toplumsal düzen, hayatta kalma ya da başka birçok sebeple keşfettiği veya oluşturduğu ahlak, dinle birlikt
Joe
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me that I am still capable of being offended.

120 days of Sodom is the ultimate "boot-camp for the psyche" experience. Rating this monstrosity was extremely difficult for me because, although it was the most atrocious thing I've ever read in my life, it affected me significantly. It did not affect me in a satisfactory way, rather it affected me in the sense that I need to scrape my brain to rid myself of some of the imagery and ideas painted in this sacrilege. Ultimately, I decid
Lisa
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilers ahead**

I know, how could this book have spoilers? Well I'm listing most of what the books covers in case anyone is dying of curiosity to read it, and upon getting the gist will maybe decide it's not worth the time.

The book covers incest, pedophilia, shit (more than anything else, shit), vomit, piss, sodomy, rape, gang rape, whipping, bondage, forced orgasms, humiliation, prostitution, kidnapping, burning, dressing up like animals, bone breaking, bestiality, drugging/poisoning, sexual
Svenja
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francais
Repugnant. Disgusting. Shocking. Extreme. No-one can mix eroticism and horror like Sade, and here he is at his best. Definitely not for the faint of heart. So appalling you can't put it down.
Mizuki
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What should I say? Oh yes I bought this book, I haven't yet read to the end. But it's a thought provoking book, and Marquis de Sade's great sense of humor and satire is quite charming.

Well, if you don't want to chew through the full 1000 pages of this thick book, at least try Salo or The 120 Days of Sodom!! A "fearsome work of art" it is!
Annie
WARNING: This review talks about some very gruesome things but if you’re considering reading this book, you’d best be ready for gore.

First- can we talk about the fact that in the edition I read (Wilder Publications 2008), there’s an amazing offense warning on it? Why is it amazing, you ask? Thanks for playing. Because it reads as follows:

“This book is a product of its time and does not reflect the same values as it would if it were written today. Parents might wish to discuss with their childre
Caleb
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is fucked up. it is profluent the way true crime is profluent. I would liken it to Butters' (South Park character Butters T. Stoch) "The Adventures of Scrotie McBoogerballs." Only it was written 240 years ago.

The only way to really accept this narrative is to think of the main characters, the 4 Lords of Sodom, as cartoon characters. Their primary attributes and motivations and countenances are very cartoonish. The most interesting parts in here were Dulcet's anecdotes.

When people rea
Amy (Other Amy)
Jul 05, 2015 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one at all
Recommended to Amy (Other Amy) by: the 1001 people, who need their heads examined
I decided on pure whim to make a go at this and Justine last year. (They're both on that silly 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list I'm sort of picking off of.) Honestly, I didn't make it past the opening with this. I got to the guy who had (view spoiler)*, gagged, and quit. Didn't even make it to the torture.

While researching some banned book issues recently, I came across this from Wikipedia
Yomna hosny
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I labored through the first 100 pages of this book and other than "eww" and "yawn" I don't understand how this is considered "literature" ?? It's not even that well written.

It takes a while to get used to the "jargon" (maybe it was just the translation?) and then you have to filter through all the inconsequential annoying details. Seriously, people have been describing their food since waaaay before instagram came around.

This probably makes me a horrible person but honestly.. all I coul
Ashlee
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone who isn't easily shocked (and a good deal of those who are).
I was pleasantly surprised.

For one, I wasn't nearly as disturbed and disgusted as I was expecting to be (although, to be fair, I had heard many things about how horrid it was. How anyone can be shocked when there's such a to-do about something, I don't know.)

For two, it is by far the most interesting book I have ever read. Everything about it was interesting: the narrator, the kinks and fetishes, the discussions that the characters had, the word choice, the fact that it's a rough draft (and even
Lucy
I have no idea was star rating to give this so for now I'm leaving it starless.....

This was the most disgusting, disturbing book I have ever read. This is not erotica, it's a horrorshow. Seriously, this book is nasty and not the good kind of nasty.

I am totally fascinated by the author and his life so god help me I might even read some more of his work.
Lila Lamrabet

Started off well but eventually became too repetitive. There are only so many ways that feces can be eaten during sex.
Šarlo
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in need of humanization
Sade's life-work is a systematic destruction of church-imposed values, symbol against symbol. His work holds no pretense / birthright to a sacred value (despite being historically and culturally invaluable), determined to act itself out objectively, purely, mathematically, like a law of nature, i.e. an instinctive, yet intelligent, utterly human revolt against opressive control. From one angle (that we would probably call terroristic by modern standards), it is the sort of self-negating material ...more
Kaitlin
Mar 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually one of the most boring books I've ever read. Well, mostly read. I skimmed some of it. It was that bad. I can't fathom how a book so full of depictions of grotesque and degrading sexual abuse managed to be so dull. After the pushing through the initial revulsion of the premise (it IS repulsive), I found the rest repetitive and unimaginative. The assault scene in Blindness by Saramago, in a few pages and with a fraction of the violence, made me want to vomit. But this?

If you want to be p
Paradoxe
Μια επισήμανση μόνο: Έχω προσέξει απ’ τις κριτικές και τα σχόλια τους, πως υπάρχουν μέλη ευαίσθητα, καλύτερα θα ήταν να πω μέλη με γλύκα μέσα τους. Δεν είναι κατάλληλο αυτό το βιβλίο. Δεν είναι κατάλληλο ούτε για ‘κεινους που τους αρέσει η ερωτική λογοτεχνία. Αν σε ενδιαφέρει η Φιλοσοφία, η Ψυχολογία και η Κοινωνιολογία και θέλεις αυτά όλα να λέγονται μέσα από ένα λογοτεχνικό σχήμα που θα σου επιτρέψει να μπορείς να σκέφτεσαι, ή να ξαποσταίνεις ανάμεσα, ίσως αυτό το βιβλίο να απευθύνεται σε ‘σεν ...more
Louize
On my first attempt to join our GR monthly group discussion, I read this book. Truth be told, I did not finish reading this. I went through half of it, or so, then gave up. That’s okay, go ahead, and call me a prude; but I cannot force myself to go on. This book is perverted to a ridiculous point I felt like I am being polluted from the inside; a moral vacuum of some sort. There are things that may stay with me for a long while, though.

It begins with 4 high-classed libertine males who are seekin
Joe Thompson
It’s very hard to know where to start. Obviously this is not a book for the feint-hearted, and I would find it hard to recommend to anyone. However, there are important aspects to it, even if they do get somewhat lost in the increasingly repetitive violence and general unpleasantness.

There has been some really vitriolic criticism of this book, and I can understand why. But the novel is deeply allegorical, and it is important to see this book not just as a fictional story but as a social critique
  • Memoirs of Martinus Scriblerus
  • Albigenses
  • Hogg
  • Aphrodite
  • The Female Quixote
Donatien Alphonse François, Marquis de Sade was a French aristocrat, revolutionary politician, philosopher, and writer famous for his libertine sexuality and lifestyle. His works include novels, short stories, plays, dialogues, and political tracts; in his lifetime some were published under his own name, while others appeared anonymously and Sade denied being their author. He is best known for his ...more
More about Marquis de Sade...
“If it is the dirty element that gives pleasure to the act of lust, then the dirtier it is, the more pleasurable it is bound to be.” 104 likes
“Oh, there are plenty of people," the Duc used to observe, "who never misbehave save when passion spurs them to ill; later, the fire gone out of them, their now calm spirit peacefully returns to the path of virtue and, thus passing their life going from strife to error and from error to remorse, they end their days in such a way there is no telling just what roles they have enacted on earth. Such persons," he would continue, "must surely be miserable: forever drifting, continually undecided, their entire life is spent detesting in the morning what they did the evening before. Certain to repent of the pleasures they taste, they take their delight in quaking, in such sort they become at once virtuous in crime and criminal in virtue.” 22 likes