Start by marking “Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights (Classic Library)” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights (Classic Library)

Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights (Classic Library)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  6,093 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Published 1999 by Redwood Editions, a division of Hinkler Book Distributors (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Eyre / Wuthering Heights

Jill McGivering
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre is often forced on schoolchildren before they're ready to enjoy it. It's such a shame if that turns them off the Brontes - the novels are a joy, full of passion, elements of the Gothic and strong characterisation.
Lia
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This will always be one of my favorite books. I read it every few years and never tire of it. It's a masterpiece of storytelling, characterization, and beautiful writing. The narrator, Jane, is such a believable character, and I always relate to her.

The highlights for me:

Bronte's portrayal of Jane as a child while she is downtrodden at Gateshead Hall. ("How much I wished to reply fully to this question! How difficult it was to frame any answer! Children can feel, but they cannot analyse their fe
Shonda
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Wuthering Heights to be a dismal story. I felt sorry for all the characters in the story who had to meet Heathcliff, knowing that something tragic would happen to them when he got them under his thumb. At first I also felt sorry for Heathcliff, but later ended up despising him. I guess that is why the book it is such a classic. The storytelling is wonderful and I didn't want to stop reading until something good happened, which took a while. The ending was the one redeeming part of the st ...more
Callie
I am only halfway through Wuthering Heights, but I already have so much to say that I have to come and write down all my thoughts before I forget them.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

There are some things I like about this book, and there are some things that I really hate about this book. The following are simply a few of my thoughts:

I'll admit, when I started reading, I didn't have a clue what was going on, or who the narrator was. Last night, I ended up re-reading the first 50 pages of the b
Shadle
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre is about a woman in the eighteenth century who falls in love with her employer and she has struggles when trying to show them to him. The main characters in this novel are Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester and Helen Burns. When Jane realizes her feelings for Mr. Rochester she becomes confused in what she wants in life. "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will." (Bronte 53)

The theme in this book is mostly love. For example, Jane and Mr. Rochester a
Sabrina
An den Schreibstil musste ich mich erst gewöhnen. Es dauerte etwas bis ichs durch hatte, stellenweise sehr langatmig. Dennoch haben mir die beiden Geschichten gefallen jene vob jane eyre etwas besser, Sturmhöhe hat mir doch zu viele Intrigen und boshafte Menschen. Hab mir dann auch gleich die Verfilmung angeschaut :)
Anni Alvarez
Lo ame, es el mejor libro que puede existir, definitivamente mi favorito.
Vmay
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book.
Shuting
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Feminism and Fairy Tales in Wuthering Heights

FW: this was written over one year ago. I am always a big fan of Emily Bronte.

Since many scholarly evaluations tend to see Heathcliff as another ego of Catherine, the heroine in Emily Bronte’s novel Wuthering Heights, providing myriads of evidence of Catherine’s narcissism, for example, her overly quoted comment about the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine, the identification of Heathcliff has been deemed as another Catherine or an ideal Ca
Huma Adnan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my most beloved book ❤
Realini
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Famous gothic story

I have been meeting with Jane Eyre a few times. Last time I remember it was so much fun. It is not the book, but the reader, since this afternoon I have enjoyed Jane Eyre.
I have listened to yet another adaptation for the Romanian National Radio, with Victor Rebengiuc, the greatest actor alive in the lead male role.
For much of the novel, Jane Eyre is poor and has to take orders in the position of a servant, but she is also a kind of Cinderella- nob
Elisha
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When we first decided to read Jane Eyre, only a few members were excited about the read; with most feeling apprehensive about it. However, the majority of the group found the story easy to read once they got used to the old English and the vernacular; and at times the authors overly descriptive writing. We noticed quite a bit of people have a love/hate relationship with Jane Eyre; they are also confused how two sisters (Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre, Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights) can ...more
Zelenkroki
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Джейн Еър
Снимка на епохата. Дневник на еманципирана жена от това време. Картина на образователната система в Англия. За съжаление, най-вероятно е сходна в методиките на диктатура с много от сегашните системи в най-различни страни, а по отношение на материалните условия, приютът на Джейн Еър, гръмко кръстен институт, е много добра аналогия на днешните български интернатни и дори на общинските училища. Любов и дълг, религия и нравствени принципи, това са някакви далечни, идеални от днешно гледане
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jane Eyre:-

About a young girl with many misfortunes but a spirit of steel, who does not give up either hope or rectitude under the direst of circumstances, and grows up to be one of the most beloved heroines of English literature.
............................................................................

Wuthering Heights :-

For many this epitomises a love story, as love really is. One may decide to be prudent, to marry well and suitably, but when your heart is given it will not follow the dikt
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I only read Wuthering Heights this time, having just finished Romancing Miss Brontë, and wanting to find out more about the Bronte family.

It's pretty easy to see why Wuthering Heights was not as well received as Emily's sisters' books. It's as unrelenting and bleak as the howling wind across the moors. I give it four stars not because I "liked" it, exactly -- there's nobody in it to really like, except maybe Hareton Earnshaw. But there is artistic brilliance here, especially in the way
Prita
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Baca kedua novel ini pas SMA, setelah selesai baca Twilight hahaha. Menurut gue kisah love triangle antara Bella and the boys can't be compared sama Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff mirip Edward ? Nope. Gue rasa Edward cuma ngambil kulit luarnya Heathcliff aja, but not his darkest part of soul. Wuthering Heghts sebenernya bukan novel favorit gue dari Bronte Sisters, tapi memang ia punya its own uniqueness yg ga ada di novel2nya Charlotte atau Anne Bronte.

Jane Eyre, lain cerita lagi, yg membuat gue
Andrew Ha
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cool-cool-cool
It's been a long time since I've read Wuthering Heights.

Contrary to the popular opinion of my class and most everyone who reads Wuthering Heights, I actually liked and enjoyed reading it. For whatever reason, I actually understood the concept of an isolated space separate from the passage of outside time containing within itself complex and often irritating social interactions between significantly self-absorbed characters.

Its tragedy I empathized, its frustrations I pitied, its questions I qui
Sherika Alexis
I had to read both these books for my AP English class. I'd heard about Wuthering heights and had always wanted to read it, but when I began reading it, I was dying with dread. All the characters overreacted for simple situations and the book's tone was so dreadful. I'd give it .5 of a star.
Jane Eyre on the other hand, I actually enjoyed. Jane seemed like a real person. The books downfall is how informative it is. It was like you were reading a good story then was brought into a lecture. I'd giv
Tina
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read both of these stories by the Bronte sisters, but not in this specific edition. I read Wuthering Heights in H.S. It was one of the more interesting books we had to read.

Jane Eyre is my favorite book. I read it when I was probably 13 or 14 years old. I could identify with Jane on some level and it's probably the first book that brought me to tears. I enjoyed the love story between her and Mr. Rochester, though I think it sucks that he's blind in the end. I've reread this book quite a few
Valantin
Нещото, което ме удивяваше винаги по един и същ начин през годините след всеки прочит, е изтънчеността на изразните средства и речта на героите, с които те общуват. Вирутозни диалози, силно конструирани мнения, много изисканост. Нито за миг у нас не сме виждали такова ниво на общуването - дори на книга, ето защо е завладяваща. Иначе историята е тривиална - пепеляшка намира своя принц; шапка сваля краят, защото "живели почти щастливо" :)
Alessandra
I thought I would like Heathcliff's character because of his longing to be with Catherine, but the more I read, the more I found him to be an obsessed, vengeful brute. I may have been sympathetic to his difficult childhood but his taste for revenge and his ill treatment towards others like Isabella makes him become just as horrible in my eyes as Hindley was to me in the beginning of the book. I have not finished the book yet.
Maria Larasati
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought the people in this book are too wicked to be real, but after reading a little longer, I realised that the characters are completely natural (though still a bit extreme). I like the book because it contains many lessons, and reading it feels like lighting a fire in a cold day; at first it was cold and dark, but at the end it feels warm and bright. Also because it can give an open mind about people, and makes you think twice about judging others by their characters.
Stacy
Loved them both.

I've read Jane Eyre a few times (the movies never seem to do the book justice) and I firmly believe every 16 year old girl should read this book - the life lessons are invaluable.

Wuthering Heights is an absolute favorite. I couldn't put it down (except when I was so enraged by the antics of Heathcliff I crumpled up the book and chucked it across the room)! A must read for every hot blooded bibliophile!
Freder
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift to me from my grandmother Bachmann, and one that I will treasure forever. Can't imagine reading these books in any other edition. The woodcuts by Eichenberg capture the mood of the stories brilliantly. I like HEIGHTS significantly better than EYRE, but have to wonder what the Bronte's father was like. All three sisters seem to have exactly the same taste in men -- the haunted, sullen, brooding, self-absorbed type; take away their names and you can't tell 'em apart!
Teri
Aug 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
While I loved the narrative of the maid in Wuthering Heights, I didn't care for the story at all. The one value I see is that is shows the consequence of revenge. Though I have to say even that is done more poignantly in The Count of Monte Cristo.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved Jane Eyre. It seemed you never knew what turn the story line was going to take next. Jane's integrity to her moral values is inspiring. This is definitely a book to read again and again. A true classic.
Maureen
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have the patience to read old English. People who want to read a classic.
Recommended to Maureen by: My Mom
Wow what a dark dark mean streak.. I have no sympathy for Heathcliffe, thats's for sure. I always wondered about the father who named Heathcliffe and brought him home. He favored his adopted son over his own son. Why? I'm sure I could re read the book to pick up on why he favored this outcast savage child over his blood, first born son?

Sylvia Bielefeldt
These books are wonderful to pick up on a dreary, rainy day and spend hours in a time and a place long gone, with fascinating, dramatic individuals whose love has many hurdles and tragedies and may or may not have a happy ending......just like life. Much can be analyzed about these books, both negative and positive; but the fact remains - they continue to be read over and over again.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Wuthering Heights was for me a bit on the scandalous side of relations. I found of the two books her to be the lesser enjoyed.

Jane Eyre is my favorite work by Brontë. It gives me the struggles of Jane's life from early times up to the point she can no longer deny her love for Mr. Rochester. I can read this one over and over.
Melinda Benn
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both amazing books by fantastic authors.
Zsofi
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see why it is a good book, I know how to appreciate it, but it will not be my favourite. However I've been singing Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights all through December 2011 because of it, which is a welcome experience. ;)
As for Jane Eyre, well she has been an old favourite.
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Charlotte & Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • The Complete Novels
  • Wizard's Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1-2)
  • Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe /Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!
  • Swan Lake
  • Poetry and Prose
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?
  • Christmas Treasury
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Women in Celtic Myth: Tales of Extraordinary Women from the Ancient Celtic Tradition
  • The Spellman Series Box Set 1 - 4 (The Spellmans, #1-4)
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman
  • Letters to a Young Conservative
  • Enigma (Phenomena, #5)
  • The Ghost-Eye Tree
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...

“Бъди винаги с мен, превърни се в какъвто и да е образ, накарай ме да полудея, само не ме оставяй в тази бездна, в която не мога да те намеря!” 1 likes