Start by marking “Modelland” as Want to Read:
Modelland

Modelland

No one gets in without being asked. And with her untamable hair, large forehead, and gawky body, Tookie De La Crème isn’t expecting an invitation. Modelland—the exclusive, mysterious place on top of the mountain—never dares to make an appearance in her dreams.

But someone has plans for Tookie. Before she can blink her mismatched eyes, Tookie finds herself in the very place
Published April 26th 2011 by Random House Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Modelland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modelland

Wigs
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Three stars? Three stars, Wigs??? You say???

This book. Where do I even start?

I picked up this book because of the second to last episode of America's Next Top Model all star season, which featured the priceless Modelland photoshoot which gave us these gifs:

And I was intrigued. I then further got incentive when my friend Kelcey and I decided to challenge ourselves to get through this almost 600 page book.

I
am
so
glad
this happened.

Why?

Because reading this book is like this:

Oh. Trust me. This book i
Blythe

Oh, look! I found a gif of Tyra writing Modelland!

Steph Sinclair
Aug 11, 2011 marked it as due-to-reviews-lost-interest
WTF is this?!

Tyra, Trya, Tyra... Oh you. Lol.

Let us do a bit of pre-reviewing shall we?

Tookie? Tookie?! Is that seriously the most creative name she could thing of? Then she had the nerve to tack on "De La Crème." For what, Tyra? Because if her "large forehead, and gawky body" doesn't drive the point home, her name will? Please stop while you're ahead
Meredith Holley
This is the worst book I’ve ever read. Worst. The worst book. I’ve read The Sword of Shannara and Skye O'Malley. This is the worst book. I can’t even believe this book exists. It is about . . .

Well, imagine if Effie Trinket wrote a book about Bella Swan that took place in David Lynch’s brain, using as literary reference the Harry Potter series and the Uglies series.

effie trinket looking crazy while she calls Katniss to the Hunger Games

Kristin Stewart emotional chart showing that her expressions never change

Dale Palmer bashing his head against a mirror and looking at a reflection of Bob

It is bad and somewhat horrifying at the same time. And while both Skye O’Malley and this book had some creepy abuse of women and g
Peter Derk
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Fuck you, it's Modelland.

That's the slogan I came up with for this project. Or a chorus, if you will.

My first attempt to read Tyra Banks' Modelland started in 2012. It also ended in 2012, somewhere about 20% into the book. I couldn't take any more. There were so many other things I could enjoy, why spend time on Modelland? There were birds...trees...

Then, in 2015, I decided "fuck birds and trees."

I threw up a Kickstarter. Pete's Exhaustive Review of Modelland. And with that, I answered the quest
Megan
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: masochists
Modelland, a place where every girl’s dream comes true. A place where girls are turned into Intoxibellas, superheroes with powers of seduction, teleportation, empathy…

Okay, let’s face it. MODELLAND might possibly be one of the biggest literary train wrecks ever. If Tyra Banks was not some famous supermodel with bigger name recognition than Madeleine Albright, then this book would have hopefully never been published. The fact it was published anyway makes me question lots of things, particularly
Giselle
I can't read the rest. It made my brain hurt. I got to chapter 5 and couldn't read anymore. Wow. This is probably one of the most oddest books I have ever attempted to read..
John Egbert
description

If you remember, I believe I used the same for my to-read pre-review of City of Ashes. And we all know how much I liked that book. And how many status updates I trolled my friends with.

Those of you who read the shelves are probably thinking "WTF?? Why did she do that?"

Well, for the same reason anyone does anything, my dears:

TEH LULZ.
Anjum Choudhury
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like Tyra and ANTM who do not shy away from absolute crazed reality.
As a preface: I know that there are sooo many people that think that this book is such a trip that it's rather unreadable and they hate it. I actually completely understand this viewpoint, and I don't like the book for it's...Well a lot of things that one would classically write a book for. It really seems like a piece that someone would write and then post to the internet, not a published book. So I'll say straightaway that if you don't want a book that is somewhat of an acid trip, then don't r ...more
S.J. Kincaid
I've only read the first chapter. IMO, this promises to be the most terrifying dystopian of all.
Traci
Dude.

I just read Modelland. In one day. Why? Because it's such a train wreck I couldn't actually stop. I don't know what I read. I'm confused. I think someone slipped me some drugs.

Things that I thought I'd get out of this book:
-modeling
-some posing with hands on hips or something
-a message of female empowerment
-maybe a romance?

What I actually got out of this book:
-dumpster diving
-armpit sniffing
-some very graphic puke scenes

So from the cover, I understood that this was a something-like-a-dysto
Kelly
Oct 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Oh wow!
This is the most badly written book i have ever EVER read in my entire life. I honestly don't know how it got published, but oh well... it has, and I have read it!

It was tacky - she describes it as "camp" but the only this i found 'camp' is the gay as anything school teacher at the Modelland Academy, the rest is just ridiculously mindless and my 4 year old daughter could conjure up better names for any of the things/places/people. The names of the 4 sectors of the town will give you an id
Jennifer Rinehart
Aug 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Tookie, according to the urban dictionary is an adjective used to describe a) a shotgun killing, in particular those of notorious Crips Gang founder, Stanley 'Tookie' Williams, and b) a female sex organ.

After having read this book, I think I can safely say that Ms. Banks is not alluding to Stanley Williams, his innocence or guilt or gangsta culture in general as for the female sex organ, hmm, I'm still not entirely sure.

Tookie de la Creme, the heroine of Modelland, wants to be a model, she also
Mikaela
Aug 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
This little box is asking me what I think. To be honest I have no idea how in the world to explian that. The only thing going through my head is a loud and resounding "WHAT?"

I mean, Tookie De La Creme? With a name like that, you can just tell that this novel is NOT going to be pretty.

Some predictions?

- There will be a head bitch model who is super pretty and skinny and well loved/hated
- There will be a ridicoulously hot guys who falls for the ugly protagonist rather than the pretty skinny bit
unknown
Oct 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
Why do I want to read this so bad?

Why do I want to read this, so bad?
Melissa Powers
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a decent book is slightly weird enough, or slightly cliche enough, or slightly stupid enough to ruin your enjoyment. Tyra Banks' "Modelland" is an amazing achievement, boldly flying in the face of all those problems, and is somehow weird and cliche and stupid enough to be surprising and riveting.

One of the only books I have ever read where I was literally kept guessing until the end. So unexpected, I loved every second of the madness.

Also, for all those unsure of picking this one up,
Laurie Smith
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Update: Remember her audience appeals to 12-15 year old tweens.

Many of the reviewers passed through this awkward phase in life and probably can not relate to the story's message.

* * *
Original Review:
I admit, I am a self-professed America's Next Top Model fan hooked since season one. I find the model world and teens everywhere wanting this quest fascinating. Therefore, sit back, open the book, and enter the realm of Modelland. Tyra Banks delivers a fantasy tale with the same creative gusto whi
hayden
Aug 12, 2011 marked it as to-not-read
Seriously, Goodreads? You're wondering why I'm not going to read this?
DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN??
♔ Leah.
If this book doesn't win the Pulitzer and the Man Booker Prize as well as Tyra Banks not being a Nobel Laureate. I swear to God I will cut a bitch.

Flawless, Better than J.K Rowling etc...
Lisa Eskra
Aug 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Take the first Harry Potter book and mash it together with some cheesy romance and prose comparable to Stephanie Meyer. That's "Modelland." I'd expected a short book, but it's over 500 pages long, and is the first of a trilogy. I cannot get over how amateurish the cover looks. It looks worse than many self-published novels I've seen. And judging by the clunky text, I'd almost mistake it for one.

The first think I noticed about the novel were the questionable name choices for the characters. Tooki
Liane
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who hate life
Shelves: legendary, awesome
UPDATING THE REVIEW TO REFLECT MY UPDATED 5 STAR RATING - It is awful yes, but I couldn't put it down and I've reread it multiple times since then. I don't know why but it's a pretty enjoyable read as long you turn off your brain and let Tyra take you on a wild ride.

So I found this book in a collection of horror (and some other genres but I firmly believe that Modelland is a horror book) and oh my god. It is going to give me nightmares. (view spoiler)
Arielle Walker
There's been a number of hilarious reviews detailing exactly how bad this book is and why, so this review is more of a long rant about people who make excuses for terrible writing. Feel free to skip through reading this.

I find it pretty amusing that many people who have given this 5 stars seem to keep saying: "well yeah the writing is really bad... but Tyra doesn't have an English degree, so it's okay and this book is good anyway because the idea is so creative!!"

I could write a flowery descrip
Jess
Look, I won't lie, I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it in the way that I enjoyed watching the first four seasons of Jersey Shore back to back.
It's ridiculous. I think the only memorable mention is that there are so many fashion puns, like "Run-way, don't walk!" that made me cringe and laugh, because I love puns, no matter how bad they are. In fact, the worse they are, the better.

As for everything else? Meh.

The world building is confusing, and I still have no idea what happened. I assume it's set
Lore
Aug 17, 2011 marked it as not-going-to-read
Oh. Okay.

WHAT THE FREX IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??

Okay, so first it's Duff, now we got Tyra Banks?

I'm sorry, but stick to your day job.

And Tookie De La Creme? What is this girl? A Desert?

...And after reading the first chapter online for free, um....well it makes a stephenie meyer book look like a masterpiece.
No kidding, I might be being harsh, but really, go see for yourself:
Here, If you dare

And I guess it was about time some pop-head decided to write a Hunger Games/Uglies rip-off.

...Int
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
You know what? I'm going to read this for the LOLs. Shitty book with a shitty plot and even shittier characters?

*cracks knuckles*

BRING IT ON!
Sonja
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are brave
Shelves: e-read
normally a book this badly written would receive one star, but i have to give tyra an extra star for ~*imagination*~. i mean, i have no idea what she was TRYING to write, but this is almost bizarro fiction. okay, it IS. tyra hasn't done anything this weird since LIFE SIZE!

first of all, i have to share this little snippet from the acknowledgements at the end of the book:

"It was a real treat for me to read a section of Modelland for half an hour to childen who didn't speak English. I thought that
Elizabeth
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing

when I bought this book I had no clue who the author was.I was in my shark like shopping frenzy at my local bookstore.I just liked the books name and the summary.so I bought it.It was actually awesome.I even cried!Since everyone has dislikes about there bodies and image I can see how Tookie De la creme would freak out on being ugly.Especially in a society where everything you do is judged solely on appearance.which I found was interesting because some of the more 'beautiful people' were complai
Liralen
I'm not sure this deserves two stars, but it gets bonus points for sheer WTF-ery.

Even if the writing had been better, this felt more like a collection of ideas than a cohesive story. Odd-looking girl who is perpetually overlooked until the wise/successful/rebellious Tyra Ci-L sees her potential? Check. SMIZEs? Check. Quirky, possibly schizophrenic friend? Snarkily named buildings at Modelland? Characters who sound like a cross between Andre Leon Talley and J. Alexander? Check, check, check.

There
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Christina (A Reader of Fictions) by: Steph Sinclair
I've never done a vlog review before, and I doubt I'll do many. However, I thought it might be the best way for me to get my thoughts across for this particular book. I'm not going to type out all or most of what I said, but I will give you a quick paragraph's summation of my general thoughts on Modelland, as well as some additional feedback.

Honestly, Modelland was not as bad as I was expecting, but this doesn't mean it was good. The world it's set in makes no actual sense, as there don't really
All That We Love: Am I the Only One Who Liked this Book? 3 35 Nov 11, 2014 01:01PM
ONTD Book Club: July - Modelland 82 182 Jul 26, 2012 09:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. 5-stars Review Spammers 15 293 Oct 09, 2011 11:46AM
  • Twilight, True Love and You: Seven Secret Steps to Finding Your Edward or Jacob
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture
  • The Vanishing
  • Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls, #1)
  • Out
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose
  • Fifty Shades of Alice Through the Looking Glass (Fifty Shades of Alice Trilogy #2)
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • League of Strays
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • The World Rose
  • Star (Starland Vamp, #1)
  • The Secret Life of E.L. James
  • A Restless Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #1)
  • Dollhouse
  • Taylor Swift: Love Story
Tyra Lynne Banks is an American supermodel, television personality, talk show host, actress, businessperson and singer. She became famous first as a model in Paris, Milan, London, Tokyo, and New York, but television appearances made her even more so. She is known best as hostess/judge of the reality television show America's Next Top Model since its 2003 debut, and is currently hosting her own Day ...more
“Love is an excuse to be stupid” 8 likes
“He followed the sweet scent not of blood orange, but of the pancreas and thymus glands that lived within one particular platinum-headed Unica, and he resumed his trek to Modelland.” 2 likes