Start by marking “St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham, #4)” as Want to Read:
St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham, #4)

St Mungo's Robin (Gil Cunningham #4)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The warden of St Serf's has been found dead in the almshouse garden. He appears to have been killed on the previous night but there are those who are convinced he was present at that morning's service, The elderly residents, the almshouse nurse and Humphrey, her deranged favourite, have all been set against one another by the dead man's scheming - and then there is the dis ...more
Unknown Binding
Published May 31st 2007 by Not Avail (first published February 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about St Mungo's Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about St Mungo's Robin

Graham
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, mystery
ST MUNGO'S ROBIN is the fourth in a series of medieval murder mysteries featuring a Glaswegian lawyer, Gil Cunningham. This was the first I'd read and I picked up the background with ease, so I don't think they need to be read in order to understand them.

Unfortunately I didn't care for this book at all. We start off with twenty pages or so of background exposition - character setting, maybe - and then an intriguing murder takes place. Our protagonist investigates minor details and interrogates s
Drayton Bird
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is another good Scottish writer of historical mysteries.

I enjoyed it greatly partly because the writer makes no concessions to us English. It's all written in pretty broad Scots, and I really enjoyed working out what some of the words meant.

The period is medieval, the setting Glasgow - a place I've only visited once. As with most books of this type, the characters are pasteboard, but give me enough period colour, a good plot and a place I don't know and I'm happy.

I'll tell you one thing tho
Sadie Slater
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't quite ready to get my head out of fifteenth-century Scotland after finishing Gemini, so I thought I'd read the fourth of Pat McIntosh's Gil Cunningham mysteries. Set in Glasgow, about ten years after the end of Gemini, these books feel a bit like a extension of the world of the Niccolò series; some of the same historical characters appear in both and I like to imagine Dunnett's characters living their lives just off-screen. (Accidentally or on purpose, there are also a couple of cases w ...more
Rebecca
Well, if you like to read about people standing in a room talking to each other in a variety of dialects, this book is for you! If, however, you feel mysteries should have a modicum of suspense and intrigue, this book may disappoint. I understand that this is the fourth book in the series, so there is clearly an audience for it. The character development is minimal, although I'm willing to grant that I may be feeling the distance as I haven't read the first three books in the series. Alys seems ...more
Mary
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love these mysteries set in 15th century Glasgow! I get lost at times in the Scots words interspersed in the dialogue, but the daily life I see in the stories fascinate me. This one ends with a rousing Scottish "trial." The interesting thing that McIntosh pulls off is allowing superstition to play a part in the story without having the whole thing collapse into hocus pocus nonsense. Every time I finish a Gil Cunningham novel I miss it for days.
Brenda
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: interest
I felt some of the old Scots quotations Gil voices to his nearest and dearest are starting to become a detriment to character development. It was also quite easy to solve this riddle from fairly early in the novel.
Julie Durovchic
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great period detail and engaging mystery.
Spuddie
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fourth entry in the Gil Cunningham historical mystery series set in 1490's Glasgow, Scotland. Gil is a lawyer, now in the employ of the church and thus he is who is the Questore when the Deacon at St. Mungo's is found murdered. There are several suspects, as no one liked him much, and an inspection of the accounts reveals that he was skimming a lot of money and properties. He had only just announced his intention to marry--and not to marry his mistress, who essentially shared his home--which ups ...more
Kate
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, history
Back to the historically fascinating Gil Cunningham series of the first two books! Gil, nearly married to his Alys, has to solve the murder of a very unpleasant Deacon, while dealing with all the relatives who've come to town for the wedding.

McIntosh seems to have hit her stride here - the characters and their relationships have depth, and the historical facts are really interesting - here primarily focused on the legal and social place of mistresses vs. wives. Gil's family continues to expand
Lynne Tull
I am enjoying this series. Not only am I getting a good mystery, but I am getting a lot of good information about the period. There were a lot of characters in this story. It was hard at times for me to keep them straight. I still like all of the main characters. This mystery wasn't hard to figure out. I think you will get some idea of the murderer so it won't be much of a surprise. However, you will really like the ending. Recommend the series. Start with the first one: 'The Harper's Quine'
Cera
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
McIntosh writes good historical mysteries in which the historical setting (medieval Scottish university & surroundings) feels quite real, showing the ugly pieces without dwelling on them. Gil seemed a little bit off his game in this one, not putting together a few pieces that were obvious to me (and I don't usually solve mysteries ahead of the detectives!), but he was extremely stressed by his personal life, so I am willing to be forgiving.
Kathy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Continue to enjoy the books in this series; the Scots tickles me; the tendency to accuse vociferously by the townspeople amuses; the growing relationship between Gil and Alys delights - and in this book ends in their marriage without detail. Detail continues to be the unraveling of murder mysteries. All good.
Jo
The Deacon of the almshouses is found dead inside a locked enclosure and Gil must find out who killed him as well as prepare for his wedding to Alys. The usual good mystery and amusing to see Alys turn into the 15th century equivalent of a Bridezilla.
Maureen E
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
Fourth Gil Cunningham mystery. As Gil's wedding day approaches, he finds himself beset by all sorts of difficulties, not the least of which is his bride's somewhat mysterious behavior. In the end, it all winds up satisfactorily. (Aug. 2010)
Mairi
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Despite the glorious Glaswegian setting and history prevalent in this book, I found it hard to get into. Some of the characters were hardly sympathetic and this was not one of the better stories in the series.
Jes
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Still baffled by the Scttish dialect, but it was a good story, and I enjoyed it.
Bryn (Plus Others)
Clearly I need to reread this one, since I don't remember it particularly well.
Debbi
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice little mystery when you don't want to think too hard and need a little distraction.
Donald
Really enjoying these now that after the first volume the Gaelic, the Latin and Medieval Scots are kept to a bare minimum.
St Mungo's Robin: A Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery by Pat McIntosh (2008)
Deb
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
I liked this one quite a lot, the subplot about the sister was good...
Sue
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lots of twists and turns make this a fun read, but the language is a bit difficult to "ken" understand.
Patty
Mar 27, 2014
Andrea
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Fate and Fortune (Hew Cullan Mystery, #2)
  • Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
  • Murder in the Holy City (Sir Geoffrey Mappestone, #1)
  • Shadows of Glory (Abel Jones, #2)
  • A Play of Knaves (Joliffe the Player, #3)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • The Midsummer Crown (Roger the Chapman #20)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • Season of the Fox (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #2)
  • Master of Souls (Sister Fidelma, #16)
  • Crowner Royal (Crowner John Mystery, #13)
  • The Final Sacrament (Clarenceux, #3)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
McIntosh was born and raised in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Having begun to write at age seven, she credits the author who inspired her to write as "probably Angus MacVicar!" She lived and worked in Glasgow for many years before moving to the west coast of Scotland. Prior to making her mark as an author, she worked as "a librarian, a receptionist for an alternative therapy centre, taught geology and pa ...more
More about Pat McIntosh...

Gil Cunningham (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1)
  • The Nicholas Feast (Gilbert Cunningham, #2)
  • The Merchant's Mark (Gilbert Cunningham, #3)
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • The Stolen Voice (Gilbert Cunningham, #6)
  • A Pig of Cold Poison (Gil Cunningham, #7)
  • The Counterfeit Madam (Gil Cunningham, #8)
  • The Fourth Crow (Gil Cunningham, #9)
  • The King's Corrodian (Gil Cunningham, #10)
  • The Lanimer Bride