Start by marking “Disney After Dark” as Want to Read:
Disney After Dark

Disney After Dark

(Kingdom Keepers #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  23,802 ratings  ·  2,486 reviews
In this fantastical novel, Disney's Magic Kingdom suddenly becomes a bit eerie. Finn Whitman and four other teens have been hired as Disney World guides, but with an odd twist: With cutting-edge technology, they have been transformed into hologram projections capable of leading guests around the park. What begins as an exciting theme park job turns into a virtual nightmare ...more
Published August 29th 2005 by Disney Press (first published June 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Disney After Dark, please sign up.
Carly Although I am a teenager, I convinced my mom to read the series and she liked just as much as I did.
Gini Olson Yes, there are 7 books in the original series.

·  23,802 ratings  ·  2,486 reviews

Hannah
Dec 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Where do I begin to describe my disappointment?

Living in Florida, I love Disney with a fierce passion. My best memories have been made there. I've seen this book every time I've gone in a store, and I figured it must be good.

How wrong I was.

Everything was so... bad, but let's break it down into elements.

Negative Elements:
The characters -
They were underdeveloped to say the least. You couldn't connect to anyone because the author simply didn't describe them. You didn't know what they liked, what t
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Middle grade aged readers. Very young kids might not follow and it's too slow for adults.

Soo...I guess if we're gonna bump into each other tonight in our dreams, we might want to decide when we're all going to sleep. Everyone has a 9 p.m. bedtime, right? Wait, what? You get to stay up til 10? No fair!

2.5 stars. While I was reading Disney After Dark, I kept comparing it in my head to a starter version of Ready Player One. Unfortunately, I kept wishing for this book to become as epic as RPO and it never quite got there.

The strange thing is, I can't find anything wrong with DaD (hah
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Five young teens living in Florida get the opportunity of a lifetime--they're each going to be turned into a DHI, or a Disney Host Interactive, to guide visitors throughout the park. The five teens--Finn, Charlene, Willa, Philby, and Maybeck--are a varied assortment of ethnicities, and all attend different schools. As Maybeck states, they're "the Orlando assortment pack." When Philby points out that DHI also stands for Daylight Hologram Imaging, the kids get a
Karebear
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: peeps
Okay, when I learned about what it was about, I thought that it would be REALLY, REALLY good. I just thought the idea was clever (it's about Disney characters gone bad at night in the park). But then I read it, and I realized I just didn't like the characters, or the way it was written...sorry. But I do think it's a worthwhile read.
Katie
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Likes to Read
Recommended to Katie by: My sister, Friends
I read this book a while back. My sister had read it before me and said she really liked it. So I thought I would give it a whirl. It was a little confusing at first because I didn't know what was going on, but It got a lot better!
I like how they based it at Disney World. It made me remember when I went to Disney World the year before. All the rides, and the cool things that are there in real life and the book. The author really did a great job with it.

I hope to be able to add it to my library s
Glenn Whelan
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let it fool you... The simplicity of this book should not eclipse its creative elements. For among that simple story structure is a quite clever premise easily discounted as childish.

Written for young adults, it unashamedly panders to fans of Disney Parks, most specifically THE MAGIC KINGDOM. If that Disney fan has expanded their horizons into backstage stories and the nuts and bolts of running the theme park, this book will be a great guilty pleasure, even for adults.

Author RIDLEY PEARSON
Kimberly
Aug 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
The premise of the book sounded exciting enough. I mean, what doesn't sound fun about a book that takes place in the Magic Kingdom?

However, this book had many confusing scenes (and starts off with one of the most confusing) and a ton of things that are never explained. Plus, the author seemed to like to throw in references to attractions or locations in the park (perhaps just to geek people out).

Next, some very very weird stuff happens. It's easy enough to accept evil characters as being evil, b
Cindy
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Like others that I saw when I read the flap of this book I thought this was the coolest idea for a book. But like all good books it's how the idea is taken and written and then transformed. I don't know if its the author just isn't a good YA author that this is just not his style. Either way the writing is the worst, and I've read some pretty bad stuff.

I hated that we had to mention the virtual magic kingdom, the characters were so one dimensional that I could see through them. And at times I t
Darth J
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
I thought the premise of this series is kinda genius: A bunch of kids face off against classic Disney Villians as they try to take control of Disney World. You read that right.

And it is just as awesome as it sounds.

The kids are part of a special program where they are recorded at a studio, and then representations of them are projected all over the park as holograms. But when the kids fall asleep, they can actually become those same holograms and interact with the park.

There’s a bit of
Michele Knott
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Have you been to Disney World? Do you love the Magic Kingdom? As a huge Disney fan, this book was so fun to read! You meet Finn and 4 other Orlando teenagers who have been chosen to become DHI's, which are holographic images that are trained to be Magic Kingdom park guides. However, Finn and his friends start waking up in the middle of the night as their DHI's, in the Magic Kingdom park. They find out from Wayne, an old Imagineer (what Disney calls their engineers and inventors), that the park i ...more
Jessica
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun thriller for Disney fans! A group of kids who are being used as the models for holographic hosts at Walt Disney World discover that they are the only ones who can stop the Disney villains from taking over. I liked the kids, and the action, and the inside look at the Magic Kingdom. Pearson clearly had an all access pass, and knew about all the service tunnels and every twist and turn of the rides. I'm curious to see where the kids go next. I did think that the whole, "We're kinda here but n ...more
Irene
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes I am an adult and yes I enjoyed this book. Looking at the not so stellar reviews of Disney After Dark, I agree with some of the comments - like the characters were under developed. True, but I believe that this didn't dampen my reading experience because I went in knowing that there are 4 other books to follow. I'm sure (or at least hoping) that there will be more character development to take place. The other oddity I found was Maleficent's ice powers - although, it didn't bother me as much ...more
MissS3LFD3STRUKT
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disney
Samie Foster
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Kingdom Keepers-The Forgotten Harry PotterOverall Rating: Wow I didn’t expect it to be this good Looking for a new fantasy book to read? Have you worn out and memorized the lines out of Harry Potter books? Or are you looking for something is both kid friendly and  can be enjoyed by adults. Well in the bargain bin of a local Hasting I found this forgotten treasure that nobody seems to know anything about. It’s called  The Kingdom Keepers Also know as Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark, this b ...more
Debbie Lee
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read. Young teens and preteens will enjoy it. It is often difficult to find good, interesting books for young boys, but this is one. I imagine boys would get caught up in the characters of these boys (3 of the DHIs are boys) and project themselves into the book. Doing battle with pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean would be exciting. People who don’t care for It’s a Small World will like the battle that takes place after hours there. The fact that Kingdom Keepers is set ...more
MOVED - CHECK BIO
READ THIS REVIEW & MORE REVIEWS ON MY SUPER AWESOME BOOK BLOG!

Go Keepers! Go Keepers!

This AWESOME book is the first in the Kingdom Keepers series. It takes place where Disneyworld is, Orlando, Florida!(A.k.a, Disney!) Compared to the other books in the series, I think that this one is second best(Fourth one is awesome-er or the one where Finn uses the sword).

I liked that this book took place at Disney and that it was with kids twelve years old instead of seventeen. Adventure was good, also,
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've never been a huge fan of Disney, even when I was a little kid I thought a lot of it was hokey, but I'm really glad to see that Disney is able to break out of its cutesy shell in the form of a fantastic, mysterious book series more appropriate for young adults. :)
Katie
Well, this was a bit disappointing. I first read this book when I was 12, so half my lifetime ago. I loved it, it was so amazing! I bought it at Walt Disney World, a place I've gone on holiday since I was 2. So to have a book actually set in the parks, about people my own age going into the parks at night and having adventures? That's just the best thing ever!

So fast forward to now. I haven't read this series in years and have only read the first 3 (I think). I'm actually just so surprised at ho
Sydney Elaine
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had originally not planned on reading this book. Had I not received this book for Christmas of I think 2011, I would have missed out on a good deal.

I absolutely adore this book. I haven't read it a while, so I'm writing this review by memory.

This is the beginning of a series, which grows darker and darker. (view spoiler)

I can't really think of anything bad about this book, other than how the
Anna Sobczak
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! It drew me in and captivated me, I loved the characters and the setting! I never once put it down, I love that this book gets right to the point instead of droning on and on..... It is defiantly a series I would recommend.
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
read my full review here: https://wastelandsreviews.wordpress.c...

this.. was interesting. a good kind of interesting, i think. i went into this book with little to no background knowledge of the storyline. i’m not sure what i expected, but it wasn’t this. either way, i’m not disappointed.

i am a huge disney fanatic. i go every summer and occasionally in the winter months. it was so cool to be able to picture the rides and locations Pearson wrote about. i feel like this is what attributed to the
Hired by Disney to be the basis of holographic guides for the parks, Finn and his friends discover that the process entailed comes with a strange side effect - they show up in the park as holograms when they go to sleep at night. They then learn that the five of them were chosen for a special mission to save the parks from the "Overtakers" who are basically the villains of Disney come to life. They must solve a riddle left by Walt Disney himself, to be able to defeat the Overtakers.

I often read
Alpha
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will admit the first time I seen this book was about two weeks ago during my mother's birthday vacation. For some reason, she wanted to go to Disney and trust me, I didn't complain. I *HEART* Disney and believe it to be one of the places I'd love to work at one of these days once I am done burning everything that is excess in my life to the ground. Some people don't believe me but hey, that's life and I live for the Lord.

Anyways, I first saw this book in one of the stores in the Magic Kingdom
Mandy

Disney after Dark is the story of 5 teens hired by Disney to become holograms that walk around the park as guides. However things aren’t as they seem when Finn wakes up in a dream or at least he thinks it’s a dream in Disney confronted by Wayne. Wayne explains it’s up to Finn to get the other four DHI to meet at the same time before he is willing to explain everything. The kids are local celebrities so it should be easy to figure out who they are but Finn is going to need help.

With the help of
Abby
May 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Barbara
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disney fan loving this Disney book. Love the behind the scenes action. I keep going back for more!
Drew Graham
May 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: me
I've heard about this series in the past, and leading up to our trip to Walt Disney World last month inspired me to finally pick them up.

I think the premise of these books is actually pretty interesting: A group of teenagers hired by Disney to be DHIs (Disney Host Interactives), life-like digital hologram versions of themselves who guide guests on tours through the Magic Kingdom, discover that things are not all a-okay at the World when they find themselves transferring to their digital counterp
Petrichor
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book does not deserve the paper it was written on. When middle school kids complain that they do not like to read, or that books are too hard to read, I wouldn't blame them if they were talking about this book.

As a brief illustration of how stupid this book was, behold this magnificent passage:
"Her hair was the color of laundry lint. Her eyelashes were so pale they were almost invisible, which left her eyelids looking like weird flesh-colored cups that blinked down over her eyes like a bi
Emi
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elisha Condie
Feb 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Part of me wants to really like this guy for writing a cool story and the other part of me wants to punch him in the kidneys for writing a book that I want to write. I'm dying to walk into Disneyland and say "Hi! I'm writing a book and need access to all the secret tunnels" and they say "Right this way, madam" - just like Jeeves and I'm in.

Now I'm finished and man, this book was bad. Bad! It's such a shame -the idea of the characters in Disneyland coming alive after dark is something that spe
Main Street Momen...: Our First Book! 2 8 Oct 09, 2019 05:34PM
It's a Small World After All 4 9 Oct 28, 2017 01:07PM

• Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World
  • Other Worlds
  • Mouse Tales: A Behind-the-Ears Look at Disneyland
  • The Disneyland® Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom®
  • Walt Disney World (Little-Known Facts about Well-Known Places)
  • HIDDEN MICKEY 2: It All Started... (Hidden Mickey, #2)
  • The Key to the Kingdom: Unlocking Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • The EPCOT Explorer's Encyclopedia: A Guide to the Flora, Fauna, and Fun of the World's Greatest Theme Park!
  • The Vault of Walt
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller Killer Weekend; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels Peter and the Starcatchers, Peter and the Shadow Thieves, and Peter and the Secret of Rundoon, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div ...more

Kingdom Keepers (7 books)
  • Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2)
  • Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3)
  • Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4)
  • Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)
  • Dark Passage (Kingdom Keepers, #6)
  • The Insider (Kingdom Keepers, #7)
“If you don't believe in yourself, who will?' ~Maybeck” 49 likes
“There's a fine line between imagination and reality. An inventor dreams something up, and pretty soon, it's there on the table before him. A science-fiction writer envisions another world, and then some space probe finds it. If you believe in something strongly enough, I think you can make it happen.” 31 likes