Start by marking “Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  77,191 Ratings  ·  2,329 Reviews
A magnificent epic set against a history of seven thousand years of the struggles of Gods and Kings and men - of strange lands and events - of fate and a prophecy that must be fulfilled!

THE BELGARIAD

Long ago, so the Storyteller claimed, the evil God Torak sought dominion and drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men
274 pages
Published 1982

To ask other readers questions about Pawn of Prophecy, please sign up.

Coffeeteamix As someone who read Pawn of Prophecy for the first time at the age of 30, I certainly felt that I'm a little too old for this. I found the young…moreAs someone who read Pawn of Prophecy for the first time at the age of 30, I certainly felt that I'm a little too old for this. I found the young protagonist difficult to relate to, which is a problem as the book was basically written from his point of view. I also found the other characters infuriatingly patronizing to the protagonist, which in turn felt like they were patronizing me. To be fair though, I've only managed to get through the first book. Maybe I'll change my mind whenever I get around to reading the rest of the series.(less)

Brad
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
At Gordon Ramsey's Pétrus restaurant (1 Kinnerton Street / Knightsbridge, London / SW1X 8EA...in case you're interested), I can get a "Roasted beef fillet with braised shin, baked celeriac and Barolo sauce" for the reasonable price of £65.00 pounds.

I haven't tried that dish yet (I probably never will), but it sounds fabulous. What I have tried, though, is my Mom's "Roast beef, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables." I still make it whenever my kids are in the mood, and it costs me about $15.00
John Conrad
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone of any age who can read
Eddings has really created a beloved series of books that can be recommended to young and old alike. It is not deep or etremely thought provoking, it's just an enjoyable combination of adventure, humor, and fun. Garion, a naive farm boy, finds out that he is not ordinary at all. As he discovers his powers, he grows to adulthood through the ten books that comprise the Belgariad and the Mallorean. Critics might find some elements a bit formulaic, but few can deny that it is a fun series to read. F ...more
Bookwraiths
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

There is nothing I hate more than trying to review one of my all-time favorite books from my teenage years. We all know the reason: the book just never lives up to your memories of its perfection. A fact - which if we are honest with ourselves - is inevitable, because we personally have changed too much, the world has changed too much, and our tastes have changed too much since the initial reading. This is true to a certain extent with David Edding’s Pa
Anthony Ryan
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first volume in the five book Belgariad series, which I'll happily admit to reading and then rereading throughout my mid-teens. Farm boy Garion enjoys a peaceful childhood in the care of his loving and occasionally stern Aunt Pol until the arrival of assassins sees them both on the run and Garion increasingly aware that he's much more important than he could have imagined. This is where the classic 'chosen one' fantasy template gets going in earnest and it's rarely been done better. The scal ...more
W.C.
Review here for the entire Belgariad.

I noticed that most of the reviewers give this a nostalgic loved-this-when-I-was-young rating. And they're right to do so. This is the perfect series of books for a young reader: clever enough to hold its own, exciting without being too graphic, and the youth don't notice just how bad the prose is.

I mean, it's hilariously bad. It's not that the Eddings machine can't write for beans; it's that the writing does all the hackneyed nasty cliched things that you're
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I see all the glowing reviews and all the 4 and 5 star ratings... sigh. Here I go again.

While I don't actually dislike this book I'm pretty far from liking it either. Mostly I struggled to stay awake and keep my mind on it. It starts out slow meanders around trying to find a plot in the midst of it's standard epic fantasy stereotypes and finishes telling me I should get the next book.

Not for now, thanks.

The book wants very badly to be a standout epic. I mentioned elsewhere that it felt
Jason Koivu
Saved by the ending!

I was chugging along through Pawn of Prophecy, not because I was enjoying it, but rather just to get through it. The prologue with Eddings' world creation myth had me really hopeful, but then this one got mired in the typical bratty-kid-is-the-key-to-everything-and-doesn't-know-it epic fantasy genre cliche. I really don't need to read another of those ever.

I'd heard good things about The Belgariad series and maybe I got my hopes up too high, because I could not believe that t
Gorkem Y
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çılgın Tanrılar Dünyasına Hoş Geldiniz

David Eddings'in isimlerini santraç hamlelerinden ilham aldığı ve epik- fantastik edebiyat öğeleriyle birleştirdiği Belgariad Serisinin ilk kitabı Kehanetin Oyuncağı.

Dünyanın oluşumundan sorumlu 7 tanrıdan Aldur'un çocuk kalbi büyüklüğünde bir küre yaratıp, başıboş bir halde dolaşan Belgarath adında bir çocuğu müridi olarak yanına alması yetiştirmesi ve ardından kardeşlerinden olan Torak'ın bu taşı çalması ve mutlu mesut yaşayan insanların ve tanrıların hal
Phoebe
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of The Belgariad, a fantasy series that includes the books: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry, and Enchanter's End Game.

Are the cares of life getting you down? Sky rocketing gas prices, financial and housing markets in ruins, high unemployment, an unending war sucking dry the country's coffers and recession looming on the horizon. Rather than resort to drink or despair, get away with some escapist fantasy! I read The Belgariad series when
Nathan
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Nathan by: Friends, Authors
Shelves: high-fantasy
When we're all looking for a good book to read, we usually look to our favourite authors and our best friends and trust their recommnendations as to what we should try next. Such as it was for me.
The Belgariad was suggested to me by just about everyone I knew who enjoyed fantasy, and a number of my favourite authors. Imagine my surprise when I start reading and keep waiting for the story's plot to begin, and it begins to dawn on me that no such relief will be arriving.
The problems I have with th
All About Fantasy!: Pawn of Prophecy 7 8 Jan 15, 2018 08:16PM
How racist is this series? 164 1001 Nov 09, 2017 10:17PM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings 40 113 Feb 20, 2017 05:52PM
The Crooked Bookies: Pawn of Prophecy discussion 6 9 Dec 20, 2016 10:34PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Pawn of Prophecy" First Impressions *No Spoilers* 66 123 Nov 29, 2016 05:30PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Pawn of Prophecy" Finished Reading *Spoilers* 37 55 Nov 24, 2016 05:52PM
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • Dragon Wing (The Death Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
“We're living in momentous times, Garion. The events of a thousand years and more have all focused on these very days. The world, I'm told, is like that. Centuries pass when nothing happens, and then in a few short years events of such tremendous importance take place that the world is never the same again."
I think that if I had my choice, I'd prefer one of those quiet centuries," Garion said glumly.
Oh, no," Silk said, his lips drawing back in a ferretlike grin. "Now's the time to be alive - to see it all happen, to be a part of it. That makes the blood race, and each breath is an adventure.”
105 likes
“Could you penetrate this palace, Prince Kheldar?" King Anheg challenged.
"I already have, your Majesty," Silk said modestly, "a dozen times or more."
Anheg looked at Rhodar with one raised eyebrow.
Rhodar coughed slightly. "It was some time ago, Anheg. Nothing serious. I was just curious about something, that's all."
"All you had to do was ask," Anheg said in a slightly injured tone.
"I didn't want to bother you," Rhodar said with a shrug. "Besides, it's more fun to do it the other way.”
62 likes