Start by marking “Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)” as Want to Read:
Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)

Castle of Wizardry

(The Belgariad #4)

Garion and his companions now have the Orb of Aldur, carried by an innocent young boy, and must return it to its rightful home on the pommel of the sword in the Great Hall on the island of Riva. As they journey across the lands, Murgo soldiers and Grolim sorcerers try to stop them.
Published March 1st 2007 by Corgi Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Castle of Wizardry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle of Wizardry

Minh
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Garion gets a shock and Ce'Nedra gets a personality.
Jack Iles
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I departed on this journey I noticed that The Belgariad series subtly lends itself to Chess. This is evident in the titles, 'Pawn of Prophecy', 'Queen of Sorcery' and so on. However David Eddings never openly acknowledged the series' overarching theme regarding the centuries old game. He weaves a love for the game within this beautiful series in more ways than the titles. The movement of the whole series begins to unfold just like a game of chess. The first book was the game's opening, est ...more
Susan Kennedy
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
I love this series and I am enjoying the reread very much. This is a true epic journey. With that said, I find this book a bit slower than the previous three.It is mostly a setting up of the Rivan King and his betrothed. The journey is put on hold as they come to claim the crown. After all is said and done, Belgarion, Belgarath and Silk steal away to begin another journey.

After the trio leaves you follow them for a bit. Then you are back with the others as they begin to gather an army. You foll
Olivia
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Less good than the previous ones; this entire book feels a bit: been there done that.

However, I like the evolution of the characters. I enjoy Garion and Ce'Nedra, and I'm looking forward to the conclusion. (But I don’t think I’ll read the Malloreon.)

This is still like sipping hot chocolate on a cold winter day, only I feel like really this is one book in five parts, and the abrupt endings dampen my enjoyment somewhat.

The entire series is a delight, and perfect for any young fantasy fan.
Wanda
This fourth installment of the Belgariad series plunges in exactly where the previous volume left off—there is no exposition, no reminding the reader gently what came before. Fortunately, everything is simplistic enough that even my menopausally-challenged memory was able to fish out the necessary details within the first chapter, the circumstances slowly coming back to me.

I have to say that Belgarion is a frustrating hero. He never seems to catch on to what is happening in his own life and he e
Belinda
5 stars - Audiobook - if I don't hurry up their will be no more Murgo's to kill-Belgarion goes on a journey to meet up with the Child of Dark and Ce'nedra raises an army. I do so love the charaters of David Eddings books. Their hero's with some issues 😀🌸🌸
Jane Jago
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You have to wait until I've done number five, then I'm gonna review the lot as a set.

Until then. Polgara still annoys me, and I do wish Garion would punch somebody
Stephen
3.5 stars. Fourth installment of the Belgariad. Not quite as good as the previous entries but still a good, solid read.

One final note: I listened to the audiobook narrated by Cameron Beierle and he did an excellent job with the series.
Savantfool
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
It does not often happen that I put a book away midway.

I have read the past 3 installments in a matter of weeks.

But with each book my annoyance has grown.

It is painfully obvious since book one who Garion is. To everyone but him and C'Nedra.
+That is not even the problem with the book.

It is the blatant dislike the reader has to form to two major charcters. Whereas Pol started as the good Aunt protecting Garion it has become more and more clear that Garion means only a prophecy to her. She car
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are all there & are coming into their own, but otherwise there's not much to say. These books must be read in order & as a set of 5. I was happy that this book kept up the pace & I blew through it quickly. On to the final one.
James
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-buy
While this was not my favorite of the series as a whole, it had some of my favorite moments. Everything is coming together, and actions from previous books are beginning to show their consequences. The lead up to the throne room at Riva was particularly well done, as is the development of Ce'nedra in the later half. Polgara is still kind of irritating me. She's so abrasive and condescending so much of the time. It would be nice to see another side of her. Ready to conclude with book 5!
Julie
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Stephen

Ariana
Eh, probably the least interesting in the series. I am not a fan of the way the Ce'Nedra is treated throughout this book, and Polgara is at her meanest, in my opinion.
Scot Parker
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable continuation of the series. The armies of the west have begun to assemble to do battle with Mordor....er, wait, I got confused again. Armies are assembling though as we march towards the ultimate confrontation between Garion and Torak. If you've been enjoying the series so far, this book won't disappoint.
Cheri
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fantasy
More of the same. Classic fantasy.

Yet: I am beginning to tire of the horrible way David Eddings writes women. They're all shrill, half of them are empty-headed, and they all enjoy cooking and sewing.

How lazy is that kind of writing?
Jasmine
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
First of all, everything about these books - from the shallow characterization to the wtf cover art to the painfully obvious and clumsy chess theme - is like...couldn't you have tried just a little harder? Like, you had an idea, now develop it.
So, if you're out to raise a boy to become the king and leader of the known world, don't you think it might be important to give him ANY experiences or tuition toward that goal? Garion had never been allowed to make a single decision for himself his entire
Nicolo Yu
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Castle of Wizardry sets up the last book of the Belgariad perfectly. We still have the continued character growth of Garion. He is no longer the sullen and whiny child. He matures, especially once he realizes his role in the Prophecy that guided their journeys so far, and decides that he may be the only one who can do it.

Ce’Nedra has also grown, especially once she realizes her title as an Imperial Princess means little among her companions. To get what she wants, he uses her smarts and charm to
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fantasy
As I've stated before, I love this series. This book has a lot of good thing happen in it that will unfortunately be balanced out somewhat by the price of war in the last book. I find Ce'Nedra's dilemma interesting although I'm not in love with the idea that our destiny is decided before we are born, which seems to have been a theme that is really brought home in this chapter.

Now the companions have rescued the orb and need to return it to Riva, where Garion will finally come into his birthright
Glaiza Champion
Man, Ce'Nedra is a delight to read. She's so Tsundere it hurts. She's the OG Tsundere. I love her so very much.

And Silk. My cynical, sarcastic bb.

Moar.
Shaitarn
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
This novel is showing its age. The plot unfolds predictably; Garion continues to be so dense it's a wonder he can function at all and Eddings' two main female characters (Ce'Nedra and Polgara) are among the most dislikeable I've ever come across - most modern writers can write much better nowadays.
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
currently adding all my family favourites to my GR, a well loved series in my house hold ✨
Katy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reread of this fun series.
Jeff Kinney
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it. Rocked through it in just a few days. On to the fifth and final book in the series.
Cheruv
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.

Not as good as the previous books. But still a good read nonetheless.

It almost felt like the book should have been broken up into two, there was a climax, and then everything slowed down for a long time. I do appreciate that some of the characters are filled out more.
There also is a definite building up in the last 2/3ds of the book leading up to the last installment.
I hope it ends well.
Bradley
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vasya
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
Castle of Wizardry left me a little short on all the information I would love to have at the moment, but I guess that's just because I'm a bit greedy here.

The big culmination point that I was waiting for from the beginning of book one, Pawn of Prophecy, is here - Garion finally knows who he is, what he must do and he's got to get used to that idea really, really fast. I liked that part of the book a lot, but after that I got a little bit confused. The prophecy tells us that the Child of Light an
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

The companions have retrieved the Orb and are travelling to Riva, to return it to its rightful place. On the journey back, with both Belgarath and Polgara incapacitated, the role of leadership is thrust on Garion, which is made difficult with the Orb fascinated with him. When Garion arrives in Riva, his life changes forever, but Torak is still out there and waking up. Garion discovers he is the only one who can defe
Dayna
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the Belgariad series and another instance in a long line of rereads over the years. This has long been my favorite book in the series, because this is where a heap of the action lies, prophecy comes to fruition, and everything starts to coalesce.
One of my favourite things about this book is Relg and Taiba. They’re a fascinating, lovely couple and it’s great to see them begin to establish their profound relationship. One of my all time favorite quotes from this series comes fr
Lydia Presley
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought things were going to comet to some sort of conclusion.. David Eddings throws me for a spin with the ending of this book.

But I get ahead of myself -

In Castle of Wizardry Belgarion finally comes into his own - sort of. The prophecy peaks, things we, as readers, have known since the first and second book are revealed (and the characters are surprised by them? Really?). I suppose it would have helped, also, to have the prophecy revealed at the start of each book so we could see

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
“As soon as somebody falls in love, all the wits seem to dribble out of the bottom of his head.” 77 likes
“Garion started shaving. "Try to keep away from your nose," said Hettar wryly. "A man looks quite strange without a nose.” 46 likes