Start by marking “The Holiday” as Want to Read:
The Holiday

The Holiday

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  806 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Torn between struggling to live up to the expectations of being a Modern Woman and ridding herself of the effects of a repressed upbringing, Izzy Jordan would be the first to admit that, at 31, its time to take stock of her life. A long summer holiday on the beautiful island of Corfu is just what Izzy needs, but is she prepared for the romance and the drama? It becomes a d ...more
Published May 1st 1993 by Orion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holiday

Ali
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
An overall disappointment. I love chick lit, but this one failed to make me giddy and excited for romance like most chick lit does. I feel like James tried entirely too hard to develop the main characters' deep and dark pasts. They didn't seem real at all to me. My other big annoyance was how the first couple hundred pages of 'romance' seemed so disconnected from the last hundred of random 'suspenseful crime mystery'. Where did this come from? While she mentions the stalker early on, and while I ...more
May 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, favorites
Whenever I am in need of some comfort, I always return to Erica James. This was the first of her books I read and I have been enchanted ever since. Whilst her characters often, and particularly in this book, have a strong silver lining of not having tense financial challenges (though that is part of the storyline for this book), the emotional journeys she takes them on are so compelling and so in-tune with reality that you can't help but become hooked. Very much a strong recommendation for anyon ...more
Danielle
Dec 22, 2009 added it
Shelves: gave-up
Another book I grabbed at the library because it looked promising - a woman gets involved with a troubled man during a holiday in Corfu. 540 pages seems like a lot for this puff pastry, but it could be good. Well, not so much, I got through about 10 chapters and started skimming - the main Boy and Girl still hadn't even met yet. When I realized that I was dreading going to bed because I would hve to tackle this book, I knew it was time to give up. Just not interesting or fun.
Cynthia Harris
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Not for a moment did it slow or make me inclined to put it down; a real page-turner and feel-good read. I read way into the night and enjoyed every page. Erica James' style is mature and entertaining and I found myself often chuckling at the repartee between the well-developed characters. A great holiday read or one to just happily enjoy while passing time.
Lisa Jayne
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A novel to escape with, drama, love and intrigue this Erica James novel has enough to keep most romance novel enthusiasts entertained.
Elizabeth Edser
Jul 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Oh dear - struggling again with this one. Only on page 27 and I don't think I care what happens next!
Page 105 - given up..... lost interest!
Katie Tate
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was was much more layered than your typical chick-lit story. The characters were all less than perfect and therefore much more believable. It was quite dark at times and had many moments of suspense. It was a nice change from a purely romantic focused chick-lit story. For me it was a real page turned and kept me hooked the whole way through. It was my first Erica James book and I will definitely be reading more.
Melissa Coles
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Struggled to read this, didn't finish, too sliw and boring. First one of hers that I haven't liked
Susan Riggs
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book so far by this author!

I've read quite a few if her books but this one had me totally engrossed. Looking forward to reading more of hers for certain. It's great to find books with no errors, misspelled words etc and great to see. Pleasant reading. Thanks!
Lesley
Sep 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: gave-up
I persevered with it but gave up half way through. Didn't bond with the characters.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I first read this novel in 2001, and didn’t like it at all. I felt that it compared unfavourably to the author’s earlier books, and was almost put off her writing entirely.

Thankfully I kept reading and collecting her books, and am now re-reading. I nearly missed this one out, but am glad I didn't. I had entirely forgotten the characters, although I recalled the general idea: that of several diverse characters in a holiday resort on a Greek island. They include a wealthy Greek business man, a ha
Sam
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book and I'm sorry to say that out of all the books I have ever read, this will always be bought up as one of my worst.

As other reviewers have said, it is a slow starter so you do have to give it a fair chance and there are a few things in here that the reader could be spared. I was reluctant to skip any in case I missed the relevance of any of it but, unfortunately, I may as well have because some bits did not make the slightest bit of difference.

Without giving anything away,
Anne
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The Holiday was published in 2008, as it is set in Corfu I thought it would be the ideal book to take with me on holiday this year. It was really interesting to read her descriptions of the beautiful island of Corfu whilst I was actually there, I actually read the chapter where the lead characters visited the village of Paleokastrista on the same day that I visited there myself!

This is typical Erica James, chick-lit done very well, easy to read, great characters (if at times, a little predictabl
Tracy Barrall
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erica-james
A very good read, I recommend "The Holiday" to help you escape deary England for sunny Corfu. The relationship between Izzy, Theo and Mark is wonderfully written with a backdrop of blue sea and skies as well as an exciting mystery that surprised me. The discription of Corfu's landscape is a wonderful setting to place the drama of a long summer break for very different people who have come for a holiday but end up dealing with one drama after another. Izzy is the main character that links them to ...more
Savira Lubis
This book tells the story of Izzy's love complicated, but no pressure. Emotions are not found. Many parts are boring. The story is the same as the character in our daily lives. Erica James inserts too many love stories from other characters that I think did not relieve my boredom. It just makes this book is getting thicker and some of 528 pages are useless. Until the last page of this book, I am still looking for the climax of the story. But, fortunately, I think the story is unpredictable enoug ...more
Blackrose26
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
penelopewanders
I had a number of rings to get through before I could focus on this one. This was not really what I expected in that, as for the holiday-makers in the book, things don't quite turn out as expected. Despite the disadvantage of being put to the side for other more urgent books, I ended up appreciating this more as the story unfolded. Theo's role was a bit surprising...
Journalling this at bookcrossing I see I may never have read anything by this author... to be continued.
Lesley Botez
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the quintessential holiday read about English holiday makers and their Greek neighbours having fun in a closed community in Corfu. I picked it up on holiday in the mountains and overlooked its 500+ pages because I love anything about Greece. It begins well, is quite intriguing as each new character arrives and is introduced but after several hundred pages the characters no longer held my interest. It would be more enjoyable in the summer when there is more time to read.
Paula
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely not my favourite Erica James but still very readable. Some good characters but rather too much about their dark and troubled pasts. I also struggled working out what ages some of them were supposed to be at times!

Made me laugh when the Greek main character stated that the Greek domestic economy was much stronger than the british thought it was was! In 2008 maybe it was!
Jenny L
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Not my favorite Erica James novel and I can't quite put my finger on why, maybe I just didn't like the characters quite enough. I never found myself fully immersed in the story, but overall it was good. An easy read, but it just didn't quite capture my imagination as Erica James stories usually do.
Di
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-okay
I'd like to give it only 1 1/2 stars, as it bordered on Ok and not liking it. Very long winded novel, if it ever became a movie, I think I would lose interest before the first half hour was over. I know that authors like to set the scene with background info, but this was a little too much. Probably not a novel I would recommend to any of my friends.
Alex
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The setting was just wonderful - I could imagine the scene as if I was there.

The characters are well portrayed, and the story whilst a bit predictable at times, flows along well with a good mix of humour, sadness, suspense and romance.

Worth a read if you can get into it.
Jennie Rose
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bit of a slow starter, but once I got into a few chapters I was hooked!
Lots of twists and turns and not an obvious ending to who was behind the letters (not giving anything away!)
Was really lovely to not be able to guess what the final ending would be, however you always know with Erica James books that a happy ending is on the cards!
Julia Doherty
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really easy read which took my mind off work. Although Erica's books are a little predictable, they are written so well that you can capture the environments easily and be transported to the world of the characters surroundings.

Another Good read.
Stephanie Wood
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! The characters develop gradually as important aspects of their lives are revealed and this draws you in to be hungry for more. I read this on holiday in Greece which made it even easier to imagine each scenario taking place.
Bev Taylor
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
over 500 pages of paperback

i found the first half rather drawn out and laboured

it finally moved on but by then it was obvious how the chracters and stories would pan out

not her best effort

bev
Virginia
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
First book by Erica James I read. Now I want to read them all. This is one of those from everyone's point of view books. I really like that, it shows a relationship, place, idea from different points of view. Change it to Nantucket and this could be a Hilderbrand book.
Victoria Kator
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really long but it is an enjoyable and fast read. lots of information on the main characters but not too much where it was becoming annoying. wonderful ending. loved this book! such a great,sweet,twisting,heart-pounding story!
Cathy
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable read. I've been to Greece twice and therefore loved the setting. Great characters in the book, a believable romance and left me wanting more. I have read at least one other book by this author.
Christina
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
Enjoyable book with a great plot and a good mix of suspense and romance. The only drawback was that the author has obviously not researched Greek culture too well, and one of the main characters was therefore a little on the unbelievable side.
  • Country Pursuits (Churchminster #1)
  • Before We Say Goodbye
  • Highland Fling
  • The Xmas Factor
  • Country Lovers (Barleybridge #3)
  • Mixed Doubles
  • Not That Kind Of Girl
  • Big Night Out
  • Working Wonders
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • Friends Forever
  • Consider the Lily
  • Rose Alley
  • The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries: Omnibus 2 (Aurora Teagarden, #5-8)
With an insatiable appetite for other people's business, Erica James will readily strike up conversation with strangers in the hope of unearthing a useful gem for her writing. She finds it the best way to write authentic characters for her novels, although her two grown-up sons claim they will never recover from a childhood spent in a perpetual state of embarrassment at their mother's compulsion.

T
More about Erica James...