Start by marking “When Bob Met Woody: The Story of the Young Bob Dylan” as Want to Read:
When Bob Met Woody: The Story of the Young Bob Dylan

When Bob Met Woody: The Story of the Young Bob Dylan

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
"Hey hey, Woody Guthrie, I wrote you a song..."When Bob finished, Woody's face lit up like the sun. Bob Dylan is a musical icon, an American legend, and, quite simply, a poet. But before he became Bob Dylan, he was Bob Zimmerman, a kid from rural Minnesota. This lyrical and gorgeously illustrated picture book biography follows Bob as he renames himself after his favorite p ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When Bob Met Woody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Bob Met Woody

Melody
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful introduction to a musical icon. A picture book about how Bob Dylan's musical persona was formed and informed by his times and by the singers who were going to become his peers- what a grand idea! And how lovingly, reverentially executed here by Golio. The illustrations are splendid and evocative, but I'm afraid ol' Bob was never quite as handsome as herein depicted by Burckhardt. Highly recommended for people who like music, and essential for folkies and their children's chi ...more
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

I grew up listening to Bob Dylan. His music was a major part of the soundtrack of my life and because of that he still has a special place in my heart. During my bachelor degree I wrote a paper analyzing the influence that Walt Whitman had on Woody Guthrie thus influencing Bob Dylan- this picture book brought me right back to that research and all of the amazing poetry and music that Dylan and Guthrie write/wrote. This picture book shares Bob'
Barbara
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncbla
With its acrylic and oil illustrations that reveal the innocence of youth as well as the lines of hardship traced on the face of his mentor Woody Guthrie, this wonderful book focuses on the many influences on the life and music of Bob Dylan. The author pays little attention to his early growing up years in Minnesota; instead, it highlights the adolescent's gravitation to the music of Hank Williams, Muddy Waters, and Lead Belly, and the poems of Dylan Thomas. The author doesn't stint in acknowled ...more
Penny
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good book, great story and illustrations. Anyone who is a fan of either of these legends should read it. Kudos gentlemen!!
Margo Tanenbaum
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gary Golio's last picture book was the stunning award-winning collaboration with Javaka Steptoe, Jimi Sounds Like a Rainbow, about rock legend Jimi Hendrix. In his newest release, Golio turns to another 20th century musical legend, Bob Dylan, and fans of his early work will not be disappointed.

Much like Golio's book about Hendrix, this volume does not attempt to be a traditional biography and tell the entire story of Dylan's life. Instead, he concentrates on Dylan's youth in Minnesota, when he w
James Klagge
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, children, biography
This is presented as Bob Dylan seeing Woody Guthrie as a sort of hero for emulation, and the effect that had on his growth. That's basically true, or anyway that's basically how Bob himself presents the situation.
The oddity is that Bob Dylan himself has always resisted/refused to be anyone's hero. While he has been called the voice of a generation, he always resisted that label--indeed, any label. ("Don’t follow leaders" he says in Subterranean Homesick Blues.) I have appreciated him (and simil
Ms. Yingling
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This picture book caught my eye at the library. It gives a brief overview of Bob Dylan's early life (as much as is known; he apparently likes to make up things about his life!) and chronicles how he went to New York City to visit Woody Guthrie, who at the time was dying of Huntington's disease. In meeting Guthrie, Dylan gained entry into Folk circles and started his long and illustrious career. Afterword and resources are included.
Strengths: Nice overview of Dylan's life. The pictures are intere
Paul
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Wonderful drawings in an Americana style on paper mounted on board, giving the paintings of acrylics and oils the periodic texture of wood. The book brings us along on Bob Dylan's journey as a boy and adolescent, tracing his growth as a musician and poet, whose course was further energized by the first the influence of and then meeting with Woody Guthrie. Quotes from Dylan give further immediacy to the life of this 20th century figure.
Donalyn
Gary Golio's picture book biography of Jimi Hendrix, Jimi Sounds Like a Rainbow, was one of my favorite picture books last year. In this book, Golio returns to another 20th Century musical icon, Bob Dylan. Determined to become a musician with little support from his family and friends, Dylan struck out on his own, eventually finding his way to New York, where he met Woody Guthrie, his hero.
Tati Dengo
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very inspiring story, appealing to children and adults alike. Short but sweet introduction to anyone not familiar with this musician. Author notes that in some cases story might be not be entirely factual and may be rather idealistic. The illustrations expertly convey this idealism, accompanying the text with rolling hills and rosy sunsets.
Helen Prichett
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
While an interesting view of Bob Dylan’s life and his friendship with Woody Guthre, I really doubt that this book will appeal to kids. Most will not have even heard of either Bob or Woody. I do appreciate the mention of Dylan’s social activism in the afterward but I don’t think it is enough to warrant adding it to the collection.
Cathy Blackler
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I am a huge Bob Dylan fan, and Woodie Guthrie, I was skeptical when I first saw this book, wondering where the author would take his readers. The result is on a heart-warming journey of the roots of Bob Dylan; including how he chose his stage name, his passion for folk music, and his admiration for Guthrie. A great read for fans of all ages.
Jinky
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Beautiful illustrated story of Bob Dylan's youth ...beginnings of his climb to fame. I foresee many children who come across this book would be inspired to live their dream. Dylan fans would certainly treasure this and share with their children.
Nance
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story. Clear and specific language that developed Bob Dylan as a musician. Illustrations and design fit the story well.
PWRL
Jan 20, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Robin Martin
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
My review of this book can be found in the September Issue of The Sacramento/SanFrancisco Book Review.
Sandy Brehl
Simply told, but without glossing over the tension in his early life. Makes a great pairing with the picture book THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND with paintings by Kathy Jakobsen.
Mary Lee
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another book that needs a soundtrack cd. Picture book biography.
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read, wish it had more lyrics, enabling younger readers to get a sense of folk music. Backmatter was great, would work well for a school project.
Heather
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a true inspiration for any child (or adult) that wants to be a musician. It tells the story of the young Bob Dylan...just wish it came with a CD. very colorful pictures as well
Beth
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story for aspiring musicians. Loved learning about how Bob Dylan got started in music.
Lisa
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-school-2017
Cute book for music lovers old and young.
Luisa
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. They captured Dylan's start and his admiration for Woody Guthrie really well.
I loved the quotes scattered throughout the pages as well! Good read.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written, beautifully illustrated story about young Bob Dylan meeting his idol Woody Guthrie.
Megan Richards
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
good combination of story, quotes and lyrics describing the beginning of Bob Dylan.
Nancy (NE)
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Bob Dylan's origins - leaving Minnesota for New York City and meeting his folk hero Woody Guthrie.
Lauren White
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good for grades 3-up
Polly
I'm not exactly sure who this is meant to appeal to, but it's an attractive book.
Richard
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations!
Poornima
May 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Gary Golio is the author of several best-selling and award-winning musical picture-book biographies, including Jimi: Sounds Like a Rainbow, When Bob Met Woody, and Spirit Seeker: John Coltrane’s Musical Journey. Gary Golio lives in Hudson Valley, New York.
More about Gary Golio...