Start by marking “Even The Wicked” as Want to Read:
Even The Wicked

Even The Wicked

Although the coroner had recorded a verdict of accidental death, Zach Blake never really believed his wife had drowned. She had been buried a year ago. Now Blake was back. To bury her murderer.
Mass Market Paperback, 124 pages
Published 1979 by Penguin (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Even The Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even The Wicked

Start your review of Even The Wicked
CL
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zach’s wife drowned the year before and now he and his daughter have returned to Martha’s Vineyard because he has received a letter telling him it was not an accident. Zach always knew his wife did not drown because she was an accomplished swimmer and he cannot believe she would die by drowning. They rent the same house but when they arrive everything starts to go wrong. They are told the house was rented to someone else. The woman who wrote him the letter is dead. And now his daughter is missin ...more
Chris
One year after the accident, Zach Blake returns to Martha’s Vineyard with his nine-year-old daughter Penny. The death of Zach’s wife Mary was ruled an “accidental drowning” and the case was closed, leaving father and daughter to their grief. But something didn’t sit right with Zach; his wife was an expert swimmer, not someone inexperienced with ocean currents. That’s when the letter arrives, a terse message that reopens the old wound: Your wife Mary did not drown accident. That’s what drew Zach ...more
David B
Zach Blake thought his wife drowned, but when he finds out otherwise, he returns to the scene of the crime to find out what really happened, towing his nine-year-old daughter along with him.

Evan Hunter / Ed McBain / Richard Marsten was incredibly prolific and he has a reputation for a high level of general quality. I can only recall reading three of his novels before. “Downtown” was a stinker, but “Guns” and “Every Little Crook and Nanny” were flat-out brilliant. This one falls somewhere in betw
Bill
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the memory of his wife’s drowning the year before off Martha’s Vineyard and a note from a woman on the Vineyard telling his wife’s drowning was no accident, Zach and his daughter, Penny, rent the same house as the previous year.

Zach is determined to discover the truth behind his wife’s death and his 9 year old daughter seems to sense this as well.

Strange things begin to happen almost immediately. It turns out their rented house has also been rented to a mysterious Mr Carpenter. After a brie
Hilary
An old-fashioned mystery/suspense. A man and his 9-year old daughter travel to Martha's Vineyard to discover the truth about his wife's drowning a year before, but what he discovers goes far beyond what he imagined. From the moment they arrive, nothing is quite right.

Some of the connections seemed a bit quick, but this is a novella and it wasn't incomparable to others in this genre, and there were some edge-of-seat moments despite the somewhat detached writing style.

Disclaimer: I received a free
Albert
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even the Wicked by Ed McBain is the kind of throwback short mystery fiction that laid the bedrock for the genre. It is as tense as it is touching. The tale of a grieving husband and single father who must make sense of the death of his wife.

"...This Menemsha is Indian,' he said.
'Really? Are there Indians here, Daddy?'
'Out at Gay Head there are.'
Penny considered this solemnly for a moment. Then she said, 'Was it the Indians who killed Mommy?'
The question startled him. In his own grief, he had
Michelle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a very light murder mystery set in the 1950's. The writing style is very easy to read but at 153 pages I felt there could have been more added to the story as the events characters seemed rushed and without substance. This was an early novel in McBain's long and impressive career and while it shows the promise of what was to come it is not one of his stronger works. Good to read when you do not want to concentrate too much.
Rosemary
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

I liked the story and the reveals as they happened. The plot was interesting and the love story old-fashioned. I have never read any Ed McBain mysteries. Recently his police procedurals were compared to a series I like so I bought this one on Kindle. It’s not a police pre editable, but I will try other McBain books in the future.
Brian Rogers
Short, straightforward, punchy ticking clock murder mystery, it works mostly because McBain is just so good at this sort of thing. It's a quick read, and an interesting look at 1950's Martha's Vineyard.
David
An easy distraction. Remember when I discovered the norish style of Ed McBsin at Blaxland Library and the thrill still hasn't left me. This was a bit pulpish in it tendencies but still a pleasant enough novella.
Vicky D.
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great old Mystery!
Eric C
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely quick and fun read. Very straightforward. Not a lot of character development, but replaced by full-on action.
Donna Davis

Best known by the pseudonym Ed McBain, Richard Marsten, the name under which this book was originally scribed in 1958, was born as Salvatore Lombino. I was a huge fan of McBain’s, and every time I see some small thing he wrote that I haven’t had a chance to read yet, I snap it up. And so it was with this DRC, which I received compliments of Net Galley and Open Road Media. But once I reached the halfway mark, I felt sort of queasy and couldn’t continue. I suspect that much of what he wrote as Mar
Nikki
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Zachary Blake takes his young daughter on a trip to Martha's Vineyard, in hopes that he can find out the truth about the drowning of his wife the year before. As Blake digs deeper into the mystery, he begins to realize that the drowning wasn't as accidental as he was led to believe. Will he be able to find out the truth about what happened to his wife before he or someone else gets hurt?

I really enjoyed this novel by Ed McBain. I couldn't put it down once I started and it had me on the edge of m
Barbara Tobey
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the visit to Martha's Vineyard. Familiar places brought back long ago memories. Although not quite as long ago as this book was written. I would have been too young to have considered reading it when it was first published. So many things were different back in those days. No cell phones, Native Americans were still called Indians, a sense of innocence. It was interesting reading, but I think I would have appreciated it more when it was first published. Too fast relationship with new w ...more
Joseph
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Well written and spare. One of the best mysteries I have read in a while. The story is pared to its essentials. No padding. Beautiful prose. Discovering little gems like this is one of my favorite joys of reading. I finished half of this book before work, and all through my shift I was looking forward to getting home so I could finish it off.
Pamela
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing new or all that exciting about this little novella from Marsten aka McBain aka Hunter. Solid writing. A solid story. Just nothing to write home about.
Matthew Jankiewicz
Feb 21, 2019
Sabrina
Dec 27, 2014
Cosimo
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2016
Keyt
Oct 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Ministry of Fear
  • U is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone, #21)
  • The Star of Istanbul (Christopher Marlowe Cobb Thriller #2)
  • Sidney Chambers and The Dangers of Temptation (The Grantchester Mysteries #5)
  • Paris in the Dark (Christopher Marlowe Cobb Thriller, #4)
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • I Bastardi di Pizzofalcone
  • Penguin Bloom: The Odd Little Bird Who Saved a Family
  • Sadie When She Died (87th Precinct, #26)
  • Flat 2
  • Hambad ja haldjad
  • Someone I Loved (Je l'aimais)
  • Tell It to the Birds
  • The Hunted
  • The Magic Finger
  • Mihkel, muuseas
  • Harry Bosch Box Set: The Narrows/Echo Park/The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #10, 12-13)
  • Vera
Born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City.
Legally changed name to his pseudonym Evan Hunter.
Best known by his pseudonym Ed McBain.