Start by marking “Den som vakar i mörkret (Inspector Huss #9)” as Want to Read:
Den som vakar i mörkret (Inspector Huss #9)

Den som vakar i mörkret

(Inspector Huss #9)

He watches the women from the shadows. He has an understanding with them; as long as they follow his rules, they are safe. But when they sin, he sentences them to death.
A woman is found dead in a cemetery, strangled and covered in plastic. Just a few days before her death, the victim had received a flower, an unintelligible note, and a photograph of herself. Detective Ins
Published August 1st 2010 by Piratförlaget (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Den som vakar i mörkret, please sign up.
Sylvia Sido I have it listed as the ninth book in the series. I preordered it from Amazon but have forgotten when it is due to be published.

Sandy
He can be your guardian or your punisher depending on whether you follow his rules. Of course, that can be a bit challenging since you aren’t aware you’re being stalked.

The 9th instalment in this series can be summed up with a big “eeewww” as we join Irene Huss & her team on the hunt for a serial killer in Goteborg. He has a preferred type & is fond of quoting the Old Testament but that’s just part of his twisted MO.

Meanwhile Irene has a couple of other things on her plate. Weird stuff i
Carin
This book gave me that creepy, tingly down my spine feeling that I look for in a good Scandinavian mystery. And refreshingly the main character, Detective Irene Huss, has a good relationship with her husband, a chef, and her two adult daughters. It's a nice change of pace from the crusty old loners and sad, vulnerable spinsters populating so many mysteries. It's also nice that she's sensible and does not go off and do scary stuff on her own and set herself up for obviously stupid situations. I a ...more
Tonstant Weader
Who Watcheth is a question with more than one answer in this latest installment in Helene Tursten’s excellent police procedural series featuring Inspector Irene Huss of Göteborg, Sweden. Huss is on the trail of a serial killer who wraps his victims up in a package, a forensic countermeasure that the media uses to name the unknown suspect The Package Killer.

As the victims are investigated, it seems that the Package Killer stalks his victims for a time. It also seems that someone is stalking Inspe
Sharon
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who Watcheth. Inspector Irene Huss. #9. December 2016. iBook. √ 4/5.
Irene and her husband are talking downsizing as Sammie is dead and the twins are now independent. There are a series of murders and things start happening close to home for Irene. It's always a good read and I enjoyed this number nine. Even the new dog.
So far haven't been able to find the tv series in anything but German but sure enjoy the books.
Graeme Roberts
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the very best from Helene Tursten, but still excellent, with a very creepy murderer.
Bonnie Brody
Helene Tursten has written the ninth book in her Irene Huss series. Irene is Detective Inspector on a Swedish police force. She was once the female jiu Jitsu champion in her nation. She is tall, strong, and not one to be reckoned with. Married to Krister, a wonderful cook, the two of them have twin daughters that have left home to be on their own. All is going well for Irene until she realizes that someone is messing with her garden. Things have been moved and vandalized and she is at a loss to ...more
Owlsinger
My wife rejected this series after the first book; I understand her feelings, can even see what she didn't like, but got engrossed anyway in the characters' investigations, interactions, and private lives. This one has a suspect of the "Did he? or Didn't he? How could he? It's gotta be him!" variety, not settled until requestioning not-exactly-witnesses turns up the final clues. Throw in a chase scene at the very end, and you have a satisfying story.
Linden
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helene Tursten is one of my favorite Nordic Noir authors. This novel finds Irene Huss pursuing a serial murderer known as the Package Killer. Excellent writing and characterization with plenty of surprises make this book a good choice for mystery aficionados.
Dayna
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrative is focused & tight (unlike Golden Calf, which was all over the place). The dachshund made it even better.
Cheryl
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually 4.5 but didn't deserve rounding down.
Mike Cuthbert
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tursten’s heroine, Irene Huss, is a bit of an Amazon with her martial arts skills and six-foot frame. She and her chef-husband, Krister, get along just fine, unlike many Nordic Noir couples, and she looks forward to coming home to his recipes. In this edition of Huss’s adventures, however, she gets in trouble as she becomes one of the targets of the Package Killer—a murderer who throttles his victims, then wraps them up in contractors’ plastic and deposit them in some meaningful place. He target ...more
Angela
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
After receiving this novel in a good reads first read drawing, I was pleasantly surprised with an entertaining murder mystery. I reminded me a lot of the Bones TV series and I could definitely visualize the plot expand in my mind like watching a video.
Irene is a middle age detective (this is in a series) who gets saddled with a serial killer case. In addition to being the cases detective she is also a target. The drama begins when an unsuspecting victim breaks the overbearing rules of a dangero
Bob
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Sweden by Helene Tursten. Inspector Irene Huess draws the case of someone apparently stalking women, taking pictures through their windows of them in compromising situations and sending them along with a flower and note with reference to a bible verse. They are then found wrapped in plastic, strangled with a blue cord, naked and washed. There is a lack of forensics to identify the killer and the bosses are coming down on the Huss' team for lack of progress. Meanwhile Iren ...more
Clearview Library District
Who Watcheth? Who watcheth indeed. This is the crux on one of Helene Tursten's intriguing mysteries. Tursten's intrepid Detective Inspector, Irene Huss gets more embroiled in an investigation that she thought. In the search for a stincky perpetrator who stalks and then strangles women, cleans them and packages them before dropping them off in a cemetery. The investigation ramps up dramatically when the perp attacks and nearly kills Irene Huss' boss.
As in all good mysteries, it gets a satisfacto
Brian
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

A nice detective story where the answers are right in front of your face, yet somehow you fail to figure it out.

Detective Inspector Irene Huss is called in to try and find the Package Killer and must face a personal danger directed toward her and her family. Is the killer coming after her, or is it not related at all? The victims of the Package Killer all received a flower and a photo before they were attacked, yet the most obvious suspect see
Resalo
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a Helene Tursten fan and this 9th in the Inspector Irene Huss series does not disappoint. After 2 women in their 40s are found strangled and wrapped in brown paper, Inspector Huss is brought in to solve "the Package Murders" as they are now labelled. The killer is not done yet and brings his hunt all too close to Detective Huss's home and family. The strength of Tursten's books in my opinion is her character development. Across the novels, I really feel like I know all the cha ...more
Deborah Klein
Generally speaking I really enjoy Tursten’s books. So far, not this one. She appears to have run out of ideas. The serial killer comes from central casting, w/ a textbook religious/sex fantasy. Everyone has chills running down their spines. Disparate average women are in danger. The two separate “sexy”women in the story are dressed in red sweater dresses and black boots. Really a snooze. It’s as if Torsten wrote the book by drawing cards, i.e. weapon, killer type, victim etc. There is a naive ra ...more
Evelyn McElroy
Entertaining Enough.

As mysteries go, I liked this well enough. However, toward the end of the book, I found Huss’ actions to be inexplicable. To me, her attitude was a giant plot hole. An experienced detective is quite unconcerned that she is clearly on a serial killer’s list? As well, there was little or no development of the killer which I found unsatisfying. Not a literary masterpiece, but entertaining enough - a short read.
Frida Hultgren
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Good book with a mystery. More exciting the last part of the book. Easy to read and fast as well. Not suprising. I'm thinking I need to quit reading crime stories for a while. I am never suprised by them anymore. Is there still books out there with a suprising ending that is about crime? I prefer thrillers nowadays.

Lacking in descriptions and language.
Susan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Inspector Irene Huss investigates a murder that turns out to be the work of a serial killer. The structure of the book eventually centers on a prime suspect, but the evidence is circumstantial. An unexpected twist in the plot brings Irene back to one of her most memorable cases from a previous book.
Sherry
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read 4 or 5 of the Helene Thurston books and keep coming back for more. I like her characters because they see realistic. They're strong and yet vulnerable.. This story got to me because of threats that keep reoccurring. It was hard to put the book down when I absolutely had too. It's a good idea to read books in order to keep u with the characters as they keep redeveloping.
Andy Plonka
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unknown killer targeting middle aged women. Obviously a serial killer as his method is almost identical and he leaves a flower as a signature to his work. When he targets the series main character, Inspector Irene Hess things get much more interesting.
Anno
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding plot with a stellar finish! It's stimulating to read police procedurals where the main character is physically fit and without personal baggage- Irene Huss' only flaw is her addiction to caffeine! This is a series I am so glad to have read.
Michael Quillin
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot while working in previous book. With any series you should be able to start with any volume, but here it's a spoiler for Fire Dance if you read this first. Nice how she works that one in, but she reveals the villain.
Connie
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. This is another good book in the Irene Huss series. The author is excellent with her police fiction and Irene and Tommy's relationship undergoes some strain in this one. I've read many of the other books in the series and have enjoyed all of them.
Recommended.
Jean
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tursten delivers as always

This was one of the tightest Huss stories while including big transitions for Irene and others for which I look forward to Tursten addressing in the future. Huss series is among best of Mystery/crime and they just get richer with time. Grateful for Tursten.
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic stalker tale, with the right amount of creepiness. I love the way the warm glimpses of Irene's personal life mix with the gritty crimes. There isn't anything too unique about the mystery part of this story, but it's very well done.
Lois Flatley
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new book in the Irene Huss series does not disappoint! She is a great character and the bleak weather is always a presence in this series! Love Swedish Crime fiction and this one is not too dark fir me!
C
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I decided to terminate my reading after about 20 pages. To me, the text was bland...transitions between scenes were brittle and awkward. Dialog was a bit cliched.
Debbie O'Mahony
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping story. Enjoyed the read!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sein letzter Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #10)
  • Helvetesilden (Konrad Sejer, #12)
  • Den döende detektiven
  • Black Lies, Red Blood
  • The Land of Dreams (Minnesota Trilogy #1)
  • Borderline (Annika Bengtzon, #9)
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
  • Utan eko (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #6)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • Svensk maffia: En kartläggning av de kriminella gängen
  • Vad gör alla superokända människor hela dagarna?
  • The Wrong Girl (Pieter Vos #2)
  • A Darker Shade of Sweden: Original Stories by Sweden's Greatest Crime Writers
  • Autumn Killing
  • The Man in the Window
Helene Tursten (born in Gothenburg in 1954) is a Swedish writer of crime fiction. The main character in her stories is Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Before becoming an author, Tursten worked as a nurse and then a dentist, but was forced to leave due to illness. During her illness she worked as a translator of medical articles.

Series:
* Irene Huss

Inspector Huss (10 books)
  • Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • The Fire Dance (Inspector Huss #6)
  • The Beige Man (Inspector Huss #7)
  • The Treacherous Net (Inspector Huss, #8)
  • I skydd av skuggorna (Irene Huss #10)