Start by marking “Everything and Nothing” as Want to Read:
Everything and Nothing

Everything and Nothing

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  1,072 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
A gripping psychological suspense read. Cupboards were sticky from spilled jam and honey, and the oven smoked when you turned it on because of the fat that had built up over the years. Agatha would never, ever let her future home end up like this. She would never leave it every day like Ruth did. She would never put her trust in strangers. Ruth and Christian are—just—holdi ...more
Published January 20th 2011 by HarperCollins UK (first published January 1st 2011)

Litt1edarling
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing new book by Araminta Hall.

Grips you right from the start, so much so that I didn't put this book down until I had finished (needless to say it only took me two days).

Written from the view points of the three main characters: Ruth and Christian, married but falling apart and their seemingly perfect nanny, Agatha.

This story twists and turns right up to til the end, with intensity growing throughout. I felt as if I was there going through everything with them, sympathasing thro
Lesley
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't seem as dramatic as the description of book gave it, just average family insecurities! Did not hate it but it passed the time!
Plum-crazy
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
The theme of this book maybe not be an original one but for me this was a cut above others that I've read in a similar vein. The story is told from the views of the three main characters Ruth, Christian & Aggie yet unlike many other books it's not told in the first person. I found the style & tone of the writing credible (I don't think there is a mother out there that won't identify with at least one of Ruth's concerns or feelings) & utterly compelling.

Looking at other reviews it see
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
The book begins promisingly. A young girl walks down a middle class street in London on her way to an interview for the job of nanny. Greeted by the chaotic scene around her (mum and dad on the verge of spliting up, two unruly children) Agatha already knows she wants this job – and we already know she is hiding something!

The plot raced along at a satisfyingly quick pace and the characters of both Ruth and Christian (the parents) were nicely drawn; lots of angst, guilt, anger and blame and I beli
Emma
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Having picked up this book expecting a Nicci French/Sophie Hannah style thriller (and such expectations, I would argue, were not unreasonable given the fact that the book's publishers essentially have masqueraded it as precisely that), I was very disappointed with the actual content of Everything and Nothing. The blurb promises a suspenseful, sinister tale of a perfect nanny infiltrating a chaotic working couple's home - yet what is delivered is a tedious exploration of a cliched couple's marita ...more
Chloe
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's a fine balance between order and chaos. At the beginning, it seems the parents lives are chaotic and pulled in different directions, juggling family and work and relationships. At the beginning, it seems the nanny brings order and calm to the household. At the end, we realise that order and chaos can be an illusion.

A well written story, an easy quick-ish read (I read it in one day). I'm not sure that it was as "chilling and suspenseful" as the blurb suggested, but certainly a good story
Rachael Phillips
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read this book in one day, not because it was a "can't put it down" but simply I had nothing else to do. Sums the book up really. SO much of the book was dedicated to building this story and then boom the "twist" and the ending completed in about 20 pages.
It's a shame because the writer is clearly talented but it's a little as though she got bored of her own story and just ended it. You know like when you were in primary school and finished off "and then I woke up, it was all a dream". Boring
Gill
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book and the feeling of spiralling chaos from Ruth and Christian's problems contrasted with Agatha's tight control. In the end, of course, she is the one truly out of control and the family have a chance of balance. A good read.
Jane
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
“The tube spat Agatha into one of those areas where people used to lie about their postcodes. Although why anyone ever would have been ashamed to live here was beyond Agatha’s understanding …”

The opening of Araminta Hall’s debut novel sets things up very nicely.

Ruth and Christian are struggling to balance their busy, busy lives: juggling demanding careers, patching up a marriage battered by his affair, a five-year old daughter who won’t sleep, and a three-year old son who won’t eat.

But then ther
Smitha
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some books jump at you from bookshelves. This was one of those. I don't know what made me pick it up, but I did.

Actually, it was probably these lines on the blurb.

Ruth and Christian Donaldson are a
Samantha Lee
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen mixed reviews for this book and whilst I can completely understand the comments, they are some of the reasons why I loved it so much.

Ruth and Chris are a married couple trying hard to deal with the fallout from his affair with a younger woman a year ago. With two young and high maintenance children and demanding careers, they are a family in crisis. In an attempt to regain some control they hire a nanny, Agatha. Aggie soon becomes indespensible, the house has regained some order, the
Emma Allan
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It's the first time in ages when I have just related to one character but to all three characters.

The relationship between Christian and Ruth was so recognisable, as was the difficulties of being a working mum in today's 'have it all' world.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to dislike Aggie but I couldn't. She was the biggest victim of all.

The book reviews on the cover say that the book is chilling and suspenseful. I'm not sure I would describe it as that. It was defini
Emma
Sep 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Most depressing and boring book ever. Made me remember why I don't read "normal women" books. Dysfunctional parents, bratty kids, Nanny who's mental and complete lack of a story except for everybody hates each other. Only finished because it was short.
Lilliana
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good read bu predictable. I would say that this is not a chillimg or menacing read as some of the reviews describe it but it was a good read
Lisa
May 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I just about gave up on this one, but kept reading to see if anything exciting was going to happen, sadly I was disappointed
Jodell
May 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wtfuck-ending-s
Sue
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit above average thriller. Ruth and Christian have a difficult marriage and are raising two children. Since both of them work, they hire a nanny and Agatha enters the story.

I felt sorry for Agatha the whole way through despite her machinations to take over the family. The writer did a great job of developing Agatha’s character. Ruth and Christian were likable but came across as very self involved. The book kept my interest right through the last page and I’m giving it an extra star as a resu
O Dia da Liberdade Silvia Reis
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have kids but I never wanted a nanny. Not because I am this psychotic but because I had one who I really enjoyed and lost her at 4 :(. I didn't want my children to go through that!

Now I wouldn't want my children to go through both experiences :((.
The book was interesting and well written as well as the description of the characters and their evolution. But come on - realistic - who could be this perfect with two toddlers ;).
Stevie Fouts
Captivating story, but I needed more

The story hooks you from the start. The couple with their problems, the nanny with ulterior motives. I feel like the author just keeps you floating right above all the juicy details only to end abruptly and leave you feeling like you watched a movie while dozing thru some of the good parts.
Lynda
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Young couple with two children employ a new nanny.
Is the new nanny is too good to be true!
But cracks are also appearing in the hard working couple marriage...is it all going to end in tears?

read and find out..
Chloé Smith
I have to be totally honest - this book was ok. That's it, ok.
It didn't' leave me with any feelings, which I think a storyline like this should have. Having worked as a Nanny previously, I went into this thinking it would leave an impression on me but it just didn't. It was ok as a light read and it certainly wasn't bad - maybe I just expected too much. I like books to have little twists here and there that make you 'Wow' and it didn't do that for me.
Covie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would give it 3 stars had it not been for the ending - which I find comes pretty much out of nowhere. I did enjoy the writing and some parts made me smile. I wish we could give half stars and then it would be a 2,5 in my book.
June Jones
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
None of the characters were appealing, rather dull and predictable, the character Agatha, just seemed unbelievable, and the ending a let down.
Emma Ingram
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book not heard of this Author before but saw it up the local library and was drawn to it. Liked all the charactors and the story was good.
Emily
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The description for this book is very misleading. The nanny story is really just a barely-necessary subplot. This book is about a struggling marriage, and that part of it is extremely well done.
Penny Little
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story line and lots to think about.
Karen Furlong
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I finished the book because I wanted to see how it ended but this was a very depressing book in my opinion.
Hannah
I have recently decided to do a comparison/ personal reading challenge relating to what author Julia Crouch terms "domestic noir."
Everything and Nothing, by Araminta Hall, is the first novel I've read specifically for this purpose.
It tells the story of Ruth and Christian, husband and wife of two young children, who hire a nanny named Agatha, hoping that she will bring some much needed order and sanity to their lives. Instead, Agatha turns out to have some sinister secrets. The premise of Every
Ingrid Fasquelle
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une dangereuse Emprise est un roman au suspense redoutable. A mi-chemin entre le thriller psychologique et le drame contemporain, Araminta Hall signe un roman passionnant, addictif, dans lequel elle traite, avec un réalisme effrayant, des difficultés de la vie de couple et des angoisses d'une jeune maman débordée.

Dès les premières pages, le récit d'Araminta Hall capte l'attention du lecteur. L'histoire est très simple. On y suit le quotidien de Ruth et Christian, un couple marié qui tente de con
Maria
Review: Everything and Nothing

Let me just settle the dust from the beginning; this was a particular bad book.

It was not the writing alone, but plot, characters, and form were all bad as well. Bad, bad, bad, bad, B-A-D.

Had it not been for the fact that I read this book as part of a book club, I am confident that I would never have finished it at all. Already after 30 pages or so, it just seemed sappy and fake. Artificial and staged even. And that was how the remainder of the book was like – supe
  • Next of Kin (Scott Finn #4)
  • The Wilding
  • Secrets of the Tides
  • The Story of You
  • Between a Mother and Her Child
  • Yesterday's Sun
Araminta Hall began her career in journalism as a staff writer on teen magazine Bliss, becoming Health and Beauty editor of New Woman. On her way, she wrote regular features for the Mirror's Saturday supplement and ghost-wrote the super-model Caprice's column.
More about Araminta Hall

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This