Start by marking “Embroideries” as Want to Read:
Embroideries

Embroideries

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  16,792 ratings  ·  1,529 reviews
From the best–selling author of Persepolis comes this gloriously entertaining and enlightening look into the sex lives of Iranian women. Embroideries gathers together Marjane’s tough–talking grandmother, stoic mother, glamorous and eccentric aunt and their friends and neighbors for an afternoon of tea drinking and talking. Naturally, the subject turns to love, sex and the ...more
Published April 18th 2006 by Pantheon

·  16,792 ratings  ·  1,529 reviews

Nat
Family gossip is my Achilles' heel. I live for those moments when my mother and I get to discuss old memories of hers and mine.
So this graphic novel fit right like a glove.

Embroideries starts out with Marjane Satrapi and her family and friends sitting down with their drinks to devote themselves to their favorite activity: discussion.

description

There was talk of marriage, love, unfeasible men, sex, double standards, body image... simply put, Embroideries included everything I love discussing with my family
Pramod Nair
"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul." – a dictum from Marjane Satrapi’s grandmother.

Reading ‘Embroideries’ from Marjane Satrapi was like reading some missing pages from ‘Persepolis’, her renowned autobiographical series. In ‘Persepolis’ she gave much insights to the reader about the social and political life of Iran during her childhood, but through ‘Embroideries‘ Satrapi manages to illustrate the closed personal world of Iranian women in an amusing manner.

In this slice of an
Rebecca McNutt
I rarely if ever read books on the subject of sex or marriage, but Embroideries is about much more than these things. It's about normal women who have adapted to oppression and learned how to expertly hide who they really are. It's about the thrill of secrets, the fear of being caught and the brief taste of freedom that comes along with living in such uncertain times. It's about fashion, fun and also fright. Told in beautiful illustrations from the author of the equally incredible Persepolis, Em ...more
foteini_dl
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Η Satrapi κεντάει για άλλη μια φορά. Ένα κόμικ (ή graphic novel, για όσους δεν τα πάνε καλά με τον όρο) που με αστείο τρόπο μιλάει για σοβαρά θέματα της ιρανικής κουλτούρας. Και κυρίως για τη θέση της γυναίκας.
Με λίγα λόγια, θα μπορούσαμε να πούμε ένα πιο σόκιν Persepolis. Καθόλου άσχημα, δηλαδή.
Malia
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a short, amusing read, though not at all on par with the impactful Persepolis books by the same author. That being said, it's an easy read and gives a glimpse of Iranian culture among women.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Valerie
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading this graphic novel was like being invited to tea with a group of Iranian women, except that the talk turned (interestingly enough) to arranged marriages, cheating husbands, and faking your virginity. The images strengthened the words in such a way that when I was done reading it I actually felt like I knew and had spent a little time with these women.

It's interesting, because their conversation makes it seem like they have some power (while living under harsh social restrictions) but as
☆☽Erica☾☆
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This author is great. Her graphic novel Persepolis is remarkable and hilarious, and her notable humor is present here as well. :) I enjoyed it.
that_scarlet_girl
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"To speak behind other's backs is the ventilator of the heart."

Το όλο comics/graphic novel συνοψίζεται σε αυτή τη φράση. Τα κουτσομπολιά και οι πικάντικες συζητήσεις που κάνουν οι γυναίκες με το χιούμορ και την -ας την πούμε- ωμότητα του Περσέπολις!
Melina Souza
Uma leitura rápida, divertida (apesar de triste) e interessante sobre a sexualidade das mulheres e os papéis impostos a elas.
Hippo dari Hongkong
Story about various Iranian women. They're sit back and relax in the afternoon while sipping a hot cup of tea. But not just that, they all have a tale to tell.
And the story begin...

"To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart."
Huwahahaha...

Pertama-tama ketika nge-mark as to read gw pernah komen "Mari ngebordir" , yang dikasi komen sama Lita di message #1 dan saya ngasi komen "wah, rok mini mah cepet keknya ngebordirnya, siap lah" di message #2. Nah, setelah beres membaca b
Manny
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hair-raising Iranian gossip. You keep wanting to join in. "Oh wow! What a great story! Now let me tell you about something that happened to a friend of mine..."
Hilda
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Satrapi fans
I was disappointed by Marjane Satrapi's follow up to the fantastic two volume "Persepolis".

In "Embroideries", the setting is an after-dinner tea party between several women of different ages telling their stories abut love and sex. The potential is fantastic to really delve into the beliefs and traditions surrounding these topics. But rather than tell the complete stories with depth, she merely flits over them, so that you get a taste but little substance. She tells the stories of about 7 women
leynes
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you've read her graphic memoir you would already know that Marjane Satrapi was born in 1969 in Rasht, Iran. She grew up in Tehran, where she studied at the French school, before leaving for Vienna and then Strasbourg to study illustration. Persepolis provided insights into the social and political life in Iran during the Mohammad-Reza Shah regime and the subsequent Iranian revolution. Embroideries, however, couldn't be a more different take on illustrating her own experiences. Satrapi decided ...more
Kim
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My senior year in college I was introduced to a graphic novel memoir by Art Spiegelman entitled Maus. Spiegelman re-told his father’s Holocaust experience in a way that a) indebted me to graphic novels forever and b) made me search out other memoirs told in this unusual format. That search produced another graphic novel entitled Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Satrapi told of her experiences growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. I was enamored by her stories and the way her drawings h ...more
Bronislava Sencakova
Kratučký komiks s čierno-bielou kresbou o intímnych témach iránskych žien: ópium, prvá noc, manželstvo, dohadované manželstvo, detská nevesta, sex, sex potme, európski muži, panenstvo, panenstvo znovuzískané "šitíčkom" a iné vymoženosti plastickej chirurgie, nevery, majetkové podvody... To všetko v jednom popoludňajšom rozhovore pri čaji zo samovaru. Lebo veď:
Nejlíp si člověk vylije srdce, když mluví o jiných za jejich zády...

Prvé čítanie:
25. 03. 2017 ★★★★☆ (hneď po vypožičaní z knižnice)

Druhé
Mec
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leggere "Taglia e cuci" trasporta il lettore (normalmente escluso in quanto maschio) e soprattutto la lettrice in un consesso in cui si parla e si sparla liberamente, si ride e si beve.
Sono occasioni di incontro e di confronto in cui un'apparente leggerezza dei toni permette di affrontare temi complicati e di ottenere, quando necessario, un consiglio o una sgridata.
La Satrapi è molto brava a rendere sulla pagina una situazione universale (che in ogni Paese è declinata in maniera leggermente dive
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The embroideries of the book’s title refer to the surgical restoration of one’s vagina to a state similar to that of a virgin. Whether this includes hymen reconstruction or merely the tightening of an age-and-use-worn genitalia, Satrapi’s book never makes clear. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, probably. What is equally unclear is the reason for naming her extended anecdote in this way. Really, I just don’t know.

Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi

Embroideries covers the ground of a single afternoon’s conversation between ten
Helly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A good book indeed, but misses the mark if you view it in the light of Satrapi's other works.
Nouruddin
Sincerae
Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis books came to my mind last week when I was thinking about adding in some lighter reads such as some more graphic novels and manga this year.

I read the Persepolis books several years ago and watched the movie. I wondered if the public library in my town might have some of her books on hand since they've just added in a collection of graphic novels upstairs for adult readers. I was happy to find this one and another of her works.

In Embroideries the art was not as car
Iwka
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taká jednohubka pred spaním. Občas som sa uškŕňala a občas som sa rehotala, až kým mi neodšlo, že tie situácie sú síce napísane tak, aby boli smiešne, ale je to taký smiech cez slzy.
Tie veci sa tým ženám dejú stále, nie je to len znamenie doby. Bohužiaľ.
Aya   آية
تعرض الكاتبة الفرنسية، ذات الأصول الإيرانية، "ساترابي" مشاهد روتينية من حياتها كفتاة تعيش في المجتمع الإيراني، لتعكس طبيعة الحياة الإجتماعية في إيران خاصة و المجتمع الشرقي عامة.

تبدأ الرواية بساترابي جالسة مع عائلتها على طاولة الغذاء وعند إنتهاء الجميع من الأكل ، يبدأ الرجال بالإنسحاب المفاجئ من غرفة الطعام والذهاب للنوم وتبدأ الفتيات بتنظيف المكان.
نفس المشهد نراه بشكل يومي في مجتمعنا، فبعد تناول الطعام يتجه الرجال ناحية التلفاز لتبادل الأحاديث عن الرياضة والسياسة والصراخ "الشاااااااي" ... أما ا
an
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
awal na bingung dengan judul na. bordir. kirain diskusi selama kisah ini berlangsung ketika acara membordir bersama, atau mungkin kegiatan membordir (yang notabene kebanyakan dikerjakan oleh perempuan) membuat para perempuan ini saling bercerita, ngobrol dengan peserta lain. ternyata... jauh banget hubungan na.

kegiatan ini dilakukan bukan saat membaut bordir tapi saat minum teh. dan bordir di sini menggunakan media yang berbeda. tidak hanya sekedar obrolan, tapi kalau dicermati lebih lagi...

FeReSHte
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it

ساتراپی میگه همه ما داستان خودمون رو داریم اما این که چه طور روایتشون کنیم مهمه

داستان انتخابی ساتراپی تو این اثر هم به اندازه روایت مجموعه پرسپولیس برای
ما اشناست هرچند از لحاظ اهمیت موضوعی می تونه تو سطح پایین تری قرار بگیره

بعد از یک مهمونی ناهار، زنان خانواده تو اتاقی جدا دور از مردانشون دور هم
جمع میشن به صرف چای و البته غیبت
!!!

هر کدوم از زنان این جمع با سن و سلیقه های متفاوت به عنوان نماینده یک سبک فکری و لایف استایل از نظراتشون راجع به عشق ، سکس ، ازدواج ، پیش داوری ها و تعصبات بیجا ، راز
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Dove ero io quando dovevo conoscere la Satrapi?

Io la amo già, sto aspettando trepidante che "Persepolis" arrivi a casa!

Una trama che può sembrare a prima vista banale e 'già vista', ma che permette al lettore occidentale di conoscere la situazione delle donne in Iran: il matrimonio, il sesso e cosa voglia dire nascere donna in questo paese..
Divertente, toccante e illuminante!

Marjane sei la mia nuova eroina!!

"To speak behind others' backs is to ventilate the soul."
Ceilidh
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A much more chatty account than Persepolis but one full of warmth, humour and a group of fascinating women sharing their wisdom. Through the eyes of a 21st century British feminist, the women's ideas of empowerment and control in relationships are a little tough to swallow, but there's something undeniably powerful in the way these stories are told to us: no mincing of words, just the truth, with all the sadness and humour contained within.
Nirav
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A FUCKING HILARIOUS QUICK READ. Damn, Satrapi never stops to amaze you and make you laugh at the same time. Persepolis was so good and Embroideries is no less. A conversation over a cup of tea one afternoon in Tehran over sex and secrets being shared among the women in you family and neighbourhood. Who would not like to be a part of it or even get a glimpse of customs in Iran. Finished in one shot, that's how amazing and laughable this book was.
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) by: Fatty Bolger
Fatty made me read it by dangling the "it's totally your kind of graphic novel" line. Thank you, Fatty! ^_^

I'll post a review tomorrow (hopefully) because I am so tired/hungry that I accidentally wrote tortilla instead of totally and my dog is growling at me to turn off the lights.
Aloke
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix, memoir, non-fiction
Short but not shallow!
Νατάσσα
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Νατάσσα by: Vyzantia
Shelves: 2019
Υπέροχο, γλυκόπικρο βιβλιαράκι, "κεντημένο" σε κείμενο και σκίτσο.
  • City of Glass: The Graphic Novel
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • We Are On Our Own
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • The Rabbi's Cat
  • Good Eggs
  • I Love Led Zeppelin
  • Our Cancer Year
  • The Impostor's Daughter: A True Memoir
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
“To speak behind others' backs is the ventilator of the heart.” 313 likes
“To be the mistress of a married man is to have the better role. Do you realize? His dirty shirt, his disgusting underwear, his daily ironing, his bad breath, his hemorrhoid attacks, his fuss, not to mention his bad moods, and his tantrums. Well all that is for his wife.
When a married man comes to his mistress... he's always bleached and ironed, his teeth sparkle, his breath is like perfume, he's in a good mood, he's full of conversation, he is there to have a good time with you.”
13 likes