Start by marking “Skylark” as Want to Read:
Skylark

Skylark

(Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)

Sarah came to the prairie from Maine to marry Papa. But that summer, a drought turned the land dry and blown. Fires swept across the fields and coyotes came to the well in search of water. So Sarah took Anna and Caleb back east, where they would be safe. Papa stayed behind. He would not leave his land.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Skylark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skylark

Sheri
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new life is not without its hardships. As Sarah recalls the greener landscapes of Maine, the drought teaches her that the dry and dusty Kansas prairies offer a bright future of their own.
Calista
This is a nice sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. I think this book brings out my own biases. I dream of living in the Northeast and Sarah is from Maine. There is a draught on the plains so fierce that everything is burning up and there is no water. Sarah takes the kids to Maine while Papa stays to care for the farm. See, I would have said, that's it, this is our reason to move to Maine. Sarah goes back to the plains. Simply not my part of the world.

Patricia has nice characterization. The draught
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
We have a proverb in Spain that says, "Second parts are never as good." I'm afraid that is true in this case. I loved Sarah, Plain and Tall, but Skylark is a letdown. After the luminous homelike comfort of the first book, this was choppy, angry and bleah; less "after the honeymoon" and more "the morning after," hangover and all. Nobody's happy; even when the kids get to a cool green place they don't enjoy it much because they want to be back home, which they were dying to leave because of the dr ...more
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
I love this series. I highly recommend it. The setting in Maine (for this book) is much preferable to me than the previous setting on the prairie. Beautifully described. I'd like to hang out with Sarah and her aunts some time. This is the sequel to Sarah Plain and Tall. We grow to see what a strong woman Sarah is in the first book. This one gives us her roots and enough background to see how she develops into that woman. Her love for these two children that are not her own is fierce. Some choice ...more
Heather
This book is the sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. In this follow-up story, the Witting family experiences a terrible drought, and Sarah is forced to take Anna and Caleb to visit her family in Maine until rain comes on the prairie again. Another understated, yet beautiful historical tale for children.
Kellyn Roth
I just didn't enjoy it at all. I found it boring and depressing. Sarah, Plain and Tall was a pretty good book ... but Skylark was a disappointment. Not worth the read.
Mikayla
After reading Sarah, Plain and Tall as a kid, I was really excited to figure out there was a second one.
Living in Texas, I understand the desperate need for rain (Though not to the extent of them). I could understand the problem and the need of hope.
And those kids were adorable!
Linda Lipko
The Sequel to Newbery award winning Sarah, Plain and Tall tells the story of the early pioneers who moved out west. Moving from Maine, Sarah becomes the mother and wife to a loving family. When severe draught hits, many leave because life is not sustainable. When things get exceedingly tough, Sarah and the two children temporarily move back to Maine. Embracing Sarah's family, but missing their father and the midwest, they long to return.

When rain falls and grass begins to green, Sarah's husband
Kylie
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, read-aloud
October 30, 2012: I love rereading these books with Hallie. She has really enjoyed them.

May 29, 2010: I have always love this series, ever since Miss Bleazard read it to us in third grade. It's a great and very quick read. You can read the book faster than you can watch the movie. I don't know what it is about these books but I love them. They remind me of being young and make me feel at home.
Leslie
I don't know why I had never read Patricia MacLachlan's Skylark until today. I have loved Sarah, Plain and Tall, for years. There is something amazing about MacLachlan's style. This book left me feeling like I could cry from the beauty of the story and the tender style of writing. I read it in about 45 minutes and enjoyed each word.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This is the follow-up to Sarah, Plain and Tall. Sarah misses Maine, with the sea and the greenery. But now that she is married to Papa, she must write her name in the prairie soil and make it her home.
Liz F.
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
A sweet book with a happy ending! I'm enjoying this little series. :)
Amrita
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was hardship and struggle in this. But if I could love the family in their happy times, I could not stop loving them in trying ones, could I?
Merri Platt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel novel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. Just like in Sarah, Plain and Tall most of the action is told by Anna the daughter of Jacob and the step-daughter of Sarah Witting. The prairie has been good to the Wittings except for this summer. The prairie is going through a very dry spell. Because of this, many of the Witting's friends are having to move because there isn't enough water for them and for their animals. The Wittings are doing pretty good but the heat is starting to get to Sar ...more
Emily
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
As a (former) homeschooling mother, I remember seeing "Sarah, Plain and Tall" on many, many book lists. I never took the time to read it myself, nor read it to my children. So I finally decided to read it, and I discovered that it is a trilogy.

I've been surprised. These books are short, simplistic, predictable, and the characters lack any real depth. Sometimes you want to know more about what the adults are doing and thinking, but then you realize: you can't, because the story is told from the p
Amelia Strydom
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book in this series, Skylark is multi-layered (like onions, or ogres, for the Shrek fans). Kids of different ages will unpeel the outer layers, but even adults will enjoy it. It is a fascinating look at pioneer life on the American prairies, and, IMHO opinion, as beautiful as the Little House series. I loved the characters, even the secondary ones were well-drawn. I also marvelled at Machlachlan's way of saying so much with few words. The simplicity makes the story even more strik ...more
Gina
Not as good as the first book in the series, Sarah, Plain and Tall. The family has just come together after Sarah has come from Maine to marry father and now they are facing a draught. They continue to worry about the farm and worry they will have to move. I guess the plotline is boring to me, as an adult. Even my daughter, who was reading this with me thought the first book in the series was better and more exciting. She also thought that the constant focus on rain got boring. 3 stars.
Ouida Robinson
Author: Patricia MacLachlin

Title: Skylark

Plot: Sarah raises her stepchildren Anna and Caleb at their home in Kansas. They become a family. They visit Maine which was Sarah's home. They return to Kansas which is their home.

Setting: Kansas and Maine

Characters: Sarah, Papa, Anna and Caleb

Point of view: First Person

Theme: Change; Pioneer Life; New Experiences

Style: Classics; Historical Fiction; Chapter Book

Copyright: 1987

Notes: This book is a classic. I enjoyed reading it and I would like to read o
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite good. But I enjoyed the first book in the series much more. I remember having my sixth grade teacher reading Sarah Plain And Tall to us and always wanting to know what will happen next.

I actually had no idea that this was a series so when I found out I was thrilled. I liked this story and the plot but I just felt that it was not as good as the first book and I think that the book had too much descriptive scenery that not only repetitive but was already depicted in the first
Judy
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-fic-historical
Anyone who liked the Little House books will like these stories. The characters 'feel' like real people, and kids can imagine what life 'in the old days' entailed. Be ready to assure them that men really did put ads in the paper for a wife (isn't that similar to the on-line dating services?), and that the kids really did have things to do all day even without television, computers, phones, stores, or near-by neighbors.
Joey Oborne
I liked the book Skylark. The book was about Sarah and the family at there home they had a fire and they had to move to where Sarah lived as a kid where the grandparents live now and Papa had to stay and build and new house. The family were sending letters back and farth with each other and one day Papa came home to main and then they moved back in there house again.
Morgan
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Ricker
Still cute, but not nearly as endearing or as touching as the first book. It's hard to pin down why, but I think maybe the fragility of the relationships with Sarah in the first story were a large part of its charm. Skylark tries to incorporate the same feeling, but I didn't buy it in this situation.
Myrna
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was interesting to learn about the prairie life in Skylark. This book was interesting because it old-fashioned, and I like old-fashioned stuff. You should read it! (Myrna, age 7)
Carol
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the movie so much that I read the children's book. Loved it. Ditto for Sarah Plain and Tall, and Caleb's Story.
Sandy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-book-club
As beautifully told and emotional as the first book in the series. Still told from Anna's point of view, but adults reading the story can see much more.
P.S. Winn
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A continuation from the original Sarah, plain and tall, this is the story of early western life and the hardships and also wonderful things that went with it.
Abigail
Why didn't I know there was a whole series of Sarah, plain, and tall?! I loved this second one and I'm looking forward to reading the others!
Bookwoman67
It's hard to live up to Sarah Plain and Tall, but this is pretty good for a sequel.
Christina Baehr
Stilted and faintly self important. A disappointment after the luminous simplicity of Sarah Plain and Tall.
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Jip: His Story
  • Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • The 13th Floor: A Ghost Story
  • The Cabin Faced West
  • Seven Alone
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • The Teacher's Funeral: A Comedy in Three Parts
  • The Chalk Box Kid
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The Civil War
  • A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)
  • Martin's Mice
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western Massach ...more

Sarah, Plain and Tall (5 books)
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3)
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Grandfather's Dance (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #5)
“Sometimes, what people choose to write down on paper is more important than what they say."

Caleb didn't know what Sarah meant. But I knew. I wrote in my journal every night. And when I read what I had written, I could see myself there, clearer than when I looked in the mirror. I could see all of us: Papa, who couldn't always say the things he felt; Caleb, who said everything; and Sarah, who didn't know that she had changed us all.”
27 likes