Start by marking “A Light to My Path” as Want to Read:
A Light to My Path

A Light to My Path (Refiner's Fire #3)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  4,425 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
As a slave, Kitty has followed orders all her life. Now that she's free to choose, how will she know the right path?
Published November 1st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Light to My Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Light to My Path

Salyna
These books are amazing! I love how Lynn Austin does the three books: Candle in the Darkness, Fire by Night, and A Light to my Path, each in a different perspective during the Civil War- A white woman from the South, a white woman from the North, and a male and female slave living in the South. They all impacted me in different ways because I saw different ways of thinking, whether they were for slavery or not. They all also did something for the cause, whether it be nursing, spying, making unif ...more
Naomi Sarah

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH STAHP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW EVERYONE AND READ THIS AMAZING THING THAT IS THIS BOOK. JUST READ IT.

Because it's so good. (AND IT WILL KILL YOU.) (Maybe just keep clear away from it. Best be safe rather than sorry.) But really = THIS TRILOGY. THIS TRILOGY. THIS TRILOGY SHOULD SHUT UP. IT'S TOO GOOD. Like, just STOP being so ridiculously amazing and BE BAD. ( Wow. Naomi has never been more dramatic in her entire life. )

SOME OF THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS BO
Olivia
I had to read the last book in the series, even though I didn't really have high hopes for this book. Good thing about that? My hopes were raised. The first half read like a completely different author. It was riveting. Definitely my favorite from the series, and I was SO happy to see what came of Grady!!

Grady and Anna were realistic characters. Their hopes and their sorrows felt real. I love how different Grady and Anna were. Grady's hatred toward slavery and being different from white men is r
Ogz
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would say this is the best book in the series. It was touching, very real and taught so much about God's love through slavery. It is easy to pick on the bad things people have done to you but we never realise how much we've done to others, most especially God, yet we are forgiven everyday. Amazing Grace was key in this book and I'd say this book is top followed by the first in the series.
I hope to read more from Lynn Austin. She really has a talent.
Amanda Tero
I started this series loving book one. I found it well-balanced between both Northern and Southern views and it packed a lot of Scripture. As the series progressed, though, I found that all of that diminished until it seemed like there was only a Northern/abolitionist viewpoint portrayed with weak Scriptural content. I know that sounds harsh, but maybe in essence... I was disappointed.

Before I go into detail, though, I did like reading about Anna and Grady. I felt like it portrayed a realistic v
Staci
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
A Light to My Path is the third book in the Refiner's Fire series. For the series overall, I really liked how the author focused on a different aspect of the civil war in each book. The first book is about a southern woman that is a Union sympathizer. The second book is about two women and their role near/on the battlefield and this final book was the perspective of two former slaves.

A Light to My Path tells Grady's story that had a limited amount of time in the first novel. Grady is very angry
Simone Barker
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and i really enjoyed it. I loved how the different characters and their circumstances drew them closer to God and all of the courage and encouragement was shared in ways that could be understood by everyone. There were true testimonies of how even though it was hard to believe God was with everyone even in the struggles they were going thru I love how Grady forgave Massa Fletcher and accepted the money for his son's benefit. Freedom changed everyone accept Missie Clarie ...more
Alicia
The second book of the series is definitely my favourite of the three, but I loved this one too. The series concludes with a very powerful message: that true freedom comes from God and through His forgiveness.
Sonya
Buddy read with Aerykah! :D
Louise
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Description:

Refiner's Fire Book # 3. Kitty, a house slave, always figured it was easiest to do what she'd always done--obey Missy and follow orders. But when word arrives that the Yankees are coming, Kitty is faced with a decision: will she continue to follow the bidding of her owners, or will she embrace this chance for freedom? Never allowed to have ideas of her own, Kitty is overwhelmed by the magnitude of her decision. Yet it is her hope to find the "happy ever after" ending to her lif
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 09, 2015 06:42PM
  • Together Is All We Need (Shenandoah Sisters, #4)
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • Whence Came a Prince (Lowlands of Scotland, #3)
  • One More Sunrise
  • A Love Woven True (Lights of Lowell, #2)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall (Shiloh Legacy #2)
  • My Heart Remembers
  • Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)
  • The Golden Cross (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #2)
  • Dare to Love Again (The Heart of San Francisco, #2)
  • The Dawning of Deliverance (The Russians, #5)
For many years, Lynn Austin nurtured a desire to write but frequent travels and the demands of her growing family postponed her career. When her husband's work took Lynn to Bogota, Colombia, for two years, she used the B.A. she'd earned at Southern Connecticut State University to become a teacher. After returning to the U.S., the Austins moved to Anderson, Indiana, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and later ...more
More about Lynn Austin...

Refiner's Fire (3 books)
  • Candle in the Darkness (Refiner's Fire, #1)
  • Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2)
“People are always thinking they can use the Lord to get their own way-- all they have to do is pray and God's gonna take away all their suffering and give them what they whatever they ask for. But it don't work that way. God's doing His business, and it's up to us to be serving Him, not the other way around."

Then why do people pray at all? My papa asked Jesus to help him escape with me when I was just a little girl. But Jesus didn't help us."

Praying ain't about asking for your own way. It's all about talking things over with God, just like you and me are talking things over. In the end, you have to be trusting the Lord to do what's best."

So the Lord thought it was best that my papa died and my mama was sold?"

Delia slowly shook her head. "I don't know, honey, I just don't know. The hardest thing of all to understand is why a loving God keeps letting us suffer... I don't know all the answers myself. I seen my share of suffering, believe me. But there two things I do know for sure. One is that God loves us... And the second thing is that God's always in control of everything that happens. When bad things come our way and it starts looking like He don't love us, all I can say is that maybe we ain't knowing everything He knows."

Kitty's tears started falling again. "I still don't understand."

Remember what you told me about the fighting up in Charleston? How you was standing on that porch, not able to see what's going on? This here's the same thing. We're standing in the smoke, hearing the noise [of the battle] all around us, and we don't know what God's doing because we can't see things clearly as He sees them. But He's gonna make everything turn our okay when the smoke clears. When it does, God's gonna be the winner and all our suffering here on earth is gonna finall make sense. We're gonna look in Jesus' face and say, 'O Lord, it was worth it all.”
20 likes