Start by marking “Shunt: The Story of James Hunt” as Want to Read:
Shunt: The Story of James Hunt

Shunt: The Story of James Hunt

James Hunt is remembered more for his girlfriends and wild personal exploits than for his skills in a race car. In this account of his life, the author has examined every detail of the driver's life - from his very earliest days to the last hours of his existence - as well as the lives of those he left behind.
Published October 1st 2010 by Myrtle

To ask other readers questions about Shunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shunt

Dane Sørensen
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Tom Rubython needs to work a second editor into his creative process. This editor's job will be to climb a ladder with the latest version of Tom's manuscript and drop it on his head from a great height. Once it's light enough that this doesn't hurt anymore, they'll know it's ready to publish. The amount of padding present in this book makes it difficult to believe it came from a professional - it has a foreword, a prologue and a preface! - let alone crossed an editor's desk, especially when the ...more
Lynda Kelly
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
This wasn't a patch on Rubython's Senna biography.......I learnt a lot about James Hunt I'd not known, granted, but there were a LOT of dating and continuity errors and grammatical/spelling mistakes which I found off-putting. It all seemed very rushed and I don't recall it being advertised as much as the Senna one was either-I heard about it by accident !
It was nice to know a lot more about James and his background and I liked the whole of Murray Walker's eulogy at his memorial service was repri
Billy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bio-s, favorites
What a perfect book! I was so enthralled once I got through the initial statistics of his career, and more into the personal relational commentary, and was brought to tears at the end when his last girlfriend spoke of her aftermath. He was an exceptional man, and I can relate to his filterlessness!
I'd recommend this to everyone! Well done! What a life!
Eric
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I gave this book a high rating based mostly on James' character, the content and the research done to make this book possible. It also happened to be very well written if you take all of the typos and grammatical errors out, that was the only off-putting thing about the whole book. It was the literary equivalent of framing a Picasso in the cheapest frame available at Ikea.

For those of you that found this book after watching Rush you are in for a pleasant surprise. As good a film as Rush was, it
Neil
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A throughly enjoyable book that captured my attention and forced me to complete the 600+ pages in just over five days whilst on holiday.

The book was very well laid out in chronological order on the career of James Hunt and provided good background info on the main players that affected James Hunt's life and career.

The book is long and takes a good amount of time and dedication to plough on thorough, but overall is very rewarding when complete that allows the reader to think back over a far-too-
Zoe
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books you need to be prepared to invest a substantial amount of your life into, and not just time but emotion too. You definitely leave this book with a greater sense of who James was as a driver and a man. When I turned the last page I felt the instananeous loss not only of the legend James Hunt but of this monster of a companion which had been with me for the last few months. It was impossible not to cry reading the printed words of Murray's eulogy to James. I have since b ...more
Katie Mech
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book about Formula 1's most notorious playboy...and world champion. Rubython's conversational tone perfectly matches the live free lifestyle of James Hunt, the last of the fun racers. The only reason I didn't give Shunt five stars is the flow of the book. Stories are told multiple times, events are gone over several times, and certain chapters are out of order. Nevertheless, this is a great biography for any racing fan.
Neil
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this book. I laughed out loud on several occasions and some parts of the book were very entertaining. However, I feel it could have been shorter. Some less interesting parts of his life were a bit of a labour to read and some sections would only appeal to the car racing maniac. However, I am glad I read the book. Jame Hunt was certainly a one off!
Larry Jordan
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
First off, this is a great introduction to the flaws and brilliance of James Hunt. This book tells all, warts and highs. Your demystify James, but also have a lot of empathy. From an editing standpoint, this book was lacking. It jumps timelines, thinly veils copy and pastes of areas of the books and the cadence of the story was messy. So it has some flaws, but I still enjoyed it.
James Hiscock
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Poorly written with little real insight, and the author posits some views of Hunts character without ever really retuning to them -for example he talks early on about Hunts "lack of an embarrassment gene" and then never really returns to the idea. Not helped by poor editing and proofreading.
Paige Pell
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The content was fascinating but if I ever read a book that was in need of a proof reader and a strong editor, this was it. If you can ignore the typos, grammatical errors, repetitiveness & wandering narrative, you'll get some sense of this unique character.
Maru
Dec 12, 2015 added it
ksm
Tim
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
You don't need to be a racing fan to enjoy this long book about the short life of James Hunt, whom I had never heard of before picking up this tome.
Karl Evans
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable read. Hunt's life was entertaining and this book was well written.
Heather
Nov 05, 2010 marked it as to-read
have put this book on my Christmas list....;o)
Ian
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Absolutely fascinating story well told.
Oli Heard
Nick Day
Apr 19, 2019
JP Clement
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great story/life, writing spotty in places.
Rich Taylor