Start by marking “Degas and the Dance: The Painter and the Petits Rats, Perfecting their Art” as Want to Read:

Degas and the Dance: The Painter and the Petits Rats, Perfecting their Art
Published October 1st 2002 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Degas and the Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Degas and the Dance

Sara Felice
Dec 02, 2014 Sara Felice rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I have always enjoyed the paintings by Degas, I find them very captivating. Which sparked my interest in reading this book. I found the information about his painting technique interesting and enjoyed looking through over thirty pieces of his paintings. I would have liked the book more if it had discussed Degas life and who he was as a person, rather than the book being entirely about his paintings.
Petra Eggs
Jul 05, 2008 Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing
I wanted to be a ballerina when I was a little girl - didn't we all, that or a princess, but it wasn't something my parents were willing to let me do. So I drew and painted and fell in love with a bronze statue of a ballerina in a style after Degas and eventually I found Degas and fell in love with his pictures too. I think what is special about Degas was that his work was all action and his ability to paint light with a delicate, but enlivening touch was quite marvellous even among the wonderfu ...more
Zoe
Mar 26, 2016 Zoe rated it it was amazing
A lovely book for anyone interested in the concept of "practice;" the concept of the process. I happen to admire Degas immensely, ever since viewing his work at the Guggenheim museum in New York as a child. In this book, the perseverance of the child dancers is paralleled to the perseverance of the painter, as they work side by side, encouraging each other, admiring each other, and relating to one another.
A
Using the artwork of Degas, this picture book biography shows how Degas studied the ballet students (petits rats) and related his artwork to the training it takes to become a ballerina. He studied the ballerinas in the studios and in their performances. Beautiful illustrations, the work of Degas, are portrayed throughout this picture book biography for students in grades 2 through 5.
Alexandria Hiam
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2011
Boris
Boris rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2008
Poornima
Poornima rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2010
Chandra
Chandra rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Sherry
Jul 29, 2015 Sherry rated it really liked it
Juvenile Section Book. Interesting introduction to Degas style for young minds and old.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2008
Tami
Tami rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
William
William rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Lois V.
Lois V. rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill
Lis Ann - The Indigo Quill rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Michaila
Michaila rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2008
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2008
Crowned Dragon
Crowned Dragon marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2008
Amy Carr
Amy Carr marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2009
Inna
Inna added it
Apr 01, 2010
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2010
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jan 21, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
May 22, 2011
Margaret Chind
Margaret Chind marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 01, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Book  Guardian
Book Guardian marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Us4
Us4 marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Shylah
Shylah added it
Dec 23, 2015
Susan Goldman Rubin is the author of more than forty-five books for young people, including Andy Warhol: Pop Art Painter; The Yellow House: Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin Side by Side; and Edward Hopper: Painter of Light and Shadow. A long-time instructor in the UCLA Extension Writers Program, Susan Goldman Rubin lives in Malibu, California.
More about Susan Goldman Rubin...