Start by marking “The Skin Map (Bright Empires, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Skin Map (Bright Empires, #1)

The Skin Map (Bright Empires #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  3,814 Ratings  ·  524 Reviews
It is the ultimate quest for the ultimate treasure. Chasing a map tattooed on human skin. Across an omniverse of intersecting realities. To unravel the future of the future.

Kit Livingstone’s great-grandfather appears to him in a deserted alley during a tumultuous storm. He reveals an unbelievable story: that the ley lines throughout Britain are not merely the stuff of lege
Published August 31st 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Skin Map, please sign up.

Annette Meh. I wouldn't categorize it as Christian and I am one. Many of Lawhead's other books have strong religious themes: this one does Not. Some of the…moreMeh. I wouldn't categorize it as Christian and I am one. Many of Lawhead's other books have strong religious themes: this one does Not. Some of the characters from the 16th and 17th centuries attend church and speak respectfully or gratefully of "Providence," but that is quite as far as it goes. Frankly I would barely classify this book as one with a basically Christian worldview.
I think the literary world has a great deal of trouble with an author who is Christian and/or occasionally writes Christian-themed stuff. They stick him in a "Christian" category and don't let him out, no matter how justly he deserves release / booting. (less)

Deborah O'Carroll
I'm giving THE SKIN MAP 5 stars . . . with one reservation (which is what this review is for, naturally).

This is going to be just a little bit hard to review. I won this book in a giveaway from Robert Treskillard (a masterful author in his own right), and read it over the course of three days when I was sick, and it helped pass the time marvelously.

For most of the book, THE SKIN MAP was a resounding 5-stars. I enjoyed it so very very much and it was brilliant and unique and fascinating and aweso
Werner
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of adventure-oriented science fiction
Note, Nov. 30, 2012 --I'm adding this note to correct an error in the review. The Bright Empires series is NOT to be a trilogy; Lawhead is projecting five volumes for it in all. My bad! :-)

In the 1920s, landscape photographer and amateur antiquarian Alfred Watkins became convinced that large numbers of pre-Roman sites in Great Britain (megaliths, mounds, hill forts, wells, causeways, sacred sites, etc.) were deliberately laid out along straight lines, for which he coined the term "ley lines," ru
Lynnda Ell
It’s much harder to write a negative review than a positive one. However, I’ve put off writing this one long enough. Thomas Nelson sent me a free copy of the unabridged audio edition of The Skin Map with the understanding that I would write an honest evaluation of it, so here it is…

Issue number one: the plot. The Skin Map begins with both heroes and villains searching for a hidden map of the locations for moving around in time and space. About halfway through the book, Stephen Lawhead decides th
seak
Jan 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, arc-review
Kit is your average Londoner dealing with an average Londoner's complications, more specifically, the metro system. One problem leads to the next and on his way to his girlfriend's, he finds himself in a dark alley, Stane Way, but this dark alley's not as mysterious or treacherous as you may think, Kit ends up finding his great-grandfather for the first time...who's not looking as old as he probably should be.

Thus begins the adventure for the Skin Map, which contains directions through the ley l
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay 3.5. I'm to some extent a Lawhead fan. He's written some books I've liked greatly though he's capable (sometimes) of writing some very dry prose. It happens.

I saw this book, read the synopsis and noted it as one I wanted to read some years ago.

And then forgot it.

I saw it mentioned here, a few days ago, said "oh yeah, I remember wanting to read that". It was in audio on the library's web sight so I downloaded it. I must say it's not what I expected from the synopsis I read. It's much more...
Adam Collings
The Skin Map is not your average stand-alone novel. It is the first instalment of a vast story arc. The story begins simply, with an everyday twenty-first century Londoner, Kit Livingstone. Upon a mysterious meeting with his long-dead great-grandfather he is pulled into a world of mysteries, dangers and alternate realities.

The book covers a number of parallel stories about multiple characters. Neither of these stories is brought to conclusion in the Skin Map, they are all left hanging for the ne
Pamela

"Who's to say the reality we find ourselves in is the best one possible?"

Okay, I wanted to read something outside my wheelhouse of norm. Something atypical in an abstract sort of way to give my imagination brain-cells a workout. Such as fantasy, or alternative fiction, or science fiction. But yet, I wanted a relatively clean read.

Well, boy howdy, The Skin Map certainly meets all the criteria - and then some!

"Drop a stone into a millpond and watch the ripples multiply until the whole pond is dis
Mindy
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fantastic journey that was hard to put down. It combines science, history, mystery, and alternate realities. The first sentence of the first chapter draws you in:

"Had he but known that before the day was over he would discover the hidden dimensions of the universe, Kit might have been better prepared. At least he would have brought an umbrella."

The day that Kit meets his great-grandfather, his world is turned upside down. Or inside out. Or maybe sideways. Lawhead is able to weav
Seth
May 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Kit Livingstone is a dissatisfied twentysomething in a hum-drum relationship and stuck in a dead-end job in a London cube farm. Until, that is, he mysteriously encounters his long-missing great-grandfather in a dark alley. The old man reveals to Kit the wondrous secrets of “ley lines“—invisible strings of unexplained energy that criss-cross the planet.

If one knows how to navigate them, these lines open up portals to other times and parallel universes. After accidentally losing his girlfriend in
Ron
Stephen Lawhead certainly can tell a tale. The many and obvious errors in this manuscript could/should have been caught with just one more proofreading. Nevertheless, Lawhead engages the reader and keeps his attention through to the end. There is a fine tangle of plot and timelines, which only gets worse as the story progresses.

Unfortunately, the "end" is something of a cliffhanger. There is not resolution so much as a commitment by the protagonist to pursue to an end. Frustrating, in a good way
Stephen R. Lawhead: The Skin Map --Common read 42 31 Jun 15, 2013 06:22PM
Join us for the hunt 2 27 Oct 13, 2011 09:17AM
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • A Wolf Story
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Diviner (Dragons of Starlight, #3)
  • The Scarlet Trefoil (Tahn Dorn #3)
  • The Scroll
  • The Gift (Chiveis Trilogy, #2)
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • The 13th Tribe  (Immortal Files #1)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

Bright Empires (5 books)
  • The Bone House (Bright Empires, #2)
  • The Spirit Well (Bright Empires, #3)
  • The Shadow Lamp (Bright Empires, #4)
  • The Fatal Tree (Bright Empires, #5)
“Had he but known that before the day was over he would discover the hidden dimensions of the universe, Kit might have been better prepared.” 1 likes
“Because all the things you did not do cannot exist for you. Only the path that you chose exists as reality for you.” 0 likes