Start by marking “Turncoat (Marc Edwards Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Turncoat (Marc Edwards Mystery, #1)

Turncoat (Marc Edwards Mystery #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
It’s 1836 and Ensign Marc Edwards, of His Majesty’s 24th Regiment of Foot, is eager for some adventure and intrigue. Unfortunately he’s been posted to the colonial backwater of Toronto, Upper Canada, and at first glance there doesn’t seem to be much chance for that sort of action. But Marc soon learns that the local population is openly chafing under British Rule, and the ...more
Published July 13th 2010 by Touchstone (first published April 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Turncoat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turncoat

Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
How this could possibly be rated as high as it is, is the real mystery here.

I like to support Canadian writers if at all possible, but this is not one that deserves it at all. I sure hope he taught better than he writes - in this series anyway. I haven't read anything else of his.

The mystery plot itself is OK, and might rate a 3 if anything else was any good, but nothing else was.

The writing is boring and pedestrian, the "voice" is all wrong for Victorian times, and the characters and setting ar
Donna Linton-Palmer
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Finished reading this book yesterday (July 9, 2017). It was an interesting book to read providing some historical perspective of Upper Canada and the Cobourg area in the mid-1800's. This is the author's first book in a series that highlights Ensign Marc Edwards of His Majesty's 24th Regiment of Foot and the solving of fictional mysteries that touch on real-life individuals and their roles in Canadian history - - this book introduced the reader to the rebel, William Lyon Mackenzie.

Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
A book with a real person, place or event but set in a work of fiction
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Turncoat by Don Gutteridge was a book I picked up because of my love for Canadian historical fiction. Some historical inaccuracies are to be expected in favour of drama and story. However, the book did not fail in making me feel like I was in the right time period.

I very much liked the main character Ensign Marc Edwards. Readers who want a strong hero with lots of character won't really find that with Edwards. He can actually be rather dull. He certainly doesn't leave the reader wanting to know
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Win

We meet Ensign Marc Edwards of the His Majesty’s 24th Regiment of Foot in 1836 who is assigned to newly named Toronto formerly called York in Upper Canada.

It appears to be quiet and of little adventure. But he is assigned to investigate a possible murder in a small town of a Crown agent.

He soon realizes that the people are in arms over British Rule as their unrest among the people from radicals, Reformers, Yankees and smugglers. Everyone seems to have a hidden agenda and no one can
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
An interesting tale of life in Upper Canada around the time of the rebellion of 1837. Trouble is brewing in both Upper and Lower Canada over governments that are ignoring the will of the elected representatives to line their own pockets. A Tory informant is dead and his contact in Toronto suspects murder. He sends a young military officer to investigate. Marc, soon finds evidence which supports the case for murder, but not the motive. As his investigations continue he can see why the farmers hav ...more
Frank D
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting setting of a mystery in Upper Canada, Ontario before Canada got it's independence. A newly commissioned ensign is sent to investigate a mysterious death in a small town near Toronto. The town is full of different factions supporting the crown, individual rights, independence, or annexation by the United States. Time frame 1836 . Overall interesting since I know little about Canada's history. On the other hand the mystery is a bit tepid and the characters are clumsily drawn. I can't s ...more
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Probably worth more than three stars but I can't put four. I liked the history (although I tyhtink it could have used a little more explanation) and the mystery was good but not spell binding. Really, what makes it middling for me is the characters. Our hero was, well, rather blah. Rather two dimensional. I'll likely give this series another go because there's promise there....
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3 and a half stars. set in the Cobourg area of Upper Canada, before the Rebellion of 1837. first of a long mystery series. an engaging detective whose sympathies are increasingly with the ordinary people rather than the upper-class English class to which he belongs, an exciting time in history, but somehow the book - worthy though it is - never really takes fire.
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The historical aspect of this book was enjoyable for me--learning about the times: the relationship to England and the country to the south and the impact on the political situation. The writing was pleasant. I wanted to keep reading although it did not grab me the way Dubious Allegiance did.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an easy read but entertaining. It made me curious enough to want to try some more in the series - when I want something light. Hopefully the subsequent books in the series have better editing. I found the mistakes annoying.
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Marc Edwards mystery series, written by my former Faculty of Education English professor. Set in Upper Canada in the early 18th century, Don Gutteridge brings his characters and the period to life. Great historical fiction.
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the extra historical details about the time period in the story.
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good Canadian Historical Mystery. Gutteridge, an academic who in retirement turned to mystery writing has a very fine had on the times and tenor of pre-confederation Upper Canada.
Dec 05, 2010 marked it as to-read
cbcreads 2010 book
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very well written and enjoyable book.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Lacks snap, crackle and pop.
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004
Really enjoyed this - it's a place and historical period I'm interested in, and besides spinning an enjoyable yarn, the author successfully evoked a Canadian winter for me.
Mar 28, 2013
Apr 04, 2016
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Chilling Thrillers: TURNCOAT by Don Gutteridge 4 17 Aug 17, 2012 06:04AM
Don Gutteridge was born in Sarnia and raised in the nearby village of Point Edward. He taught High School English for seven years, later becoming a Professor in the Faculty of Education at the Western University, where he is now Professor Emeritus. He is the author of twenty-two novels. including the twelve-volume Marc Edwards mystery series. Don is also an accomplished poet and has published twen ...more
More about Don Gutteridge...

Marc Edwards Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Solemn Vows (Marc Edwards Mystery, #2)
  • Vital Secrets (Marc Edwards Mystery, #3)
  • Dubious Allegiance (Marc Edwards Mystery, #4)
  • Bloody Relations (Marc Edwards Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Patriot  (Marc Edwards Mystery, #6)
  • The Bishop's Pawn (Marc Edwards Mystery, #7)
  • Desperate Acts (Marc Edwards Mystery, #8)
  • Unholy Alliance (Marc Edwards Mystery, #9)
  • Minor Corruption (Marc Edwards Mystery, #10)
  • Governing Passion (Marc Edwards Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • Heartwood
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep