Start by marking “Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)

Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  950 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Published October 1st 2010

To ask other readers questions about Murder by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by Design

Pillar of Light by Gerald N. LundLike a Fire Burning by Gerald N. LundA Season of Joy by Gerald N. LundFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack Weyland
LDS Fiction
148 books — 90 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
313 books — 259 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love BBG but this is not one of her best. I think I would give this book 3.5 stars. What redeemed it for me was the love story. Love Luke and Kennedy together! :) Satisfying ending...... for now. No matter what, I love her stories. Normally a good quick read. Didn't disappoint on that front.
Cindi
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kennedy is entertaining! I liked following her through her investigation of a murdered "artist."
Brenda
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone 12 and older
Recommended to Brenda by: no one
I found this book at Seagull books for $5.99 and thought it was worth a try. And boy was I right. This is a very fast read. I was reading it during my lunch breaks but I kept wanting to know what was happening next or I got to a good part and had to stop. So I started reading at home to finish it off.

She ended things a bit too fast for me, but a good book. I would recommend this for anyone who is 12 or older. A 10 year old might not get everything. There are no sex scenes [although the main char
Anna del C. Dye
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing tale of a small town in Midway, Georgia. It is beautifully written by a great author. The main character is a young divorced woman by the name of Kennedy. She is a university student that works as the head librarian and also part time in a storage unit, where she lives. Her mother is the sweetest woman and many times too helpful when she takes Kennedy’s time for granted.
Because of her divorce from the sheriff in town, Kennedy is looked upon with contempt by many women in h
Kathryn
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dlora
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another fun murder mystery sleuthed out by small-town librarian Kennedy Killingsworth, but this time the sheriff has actually asked for her insights. Recluse Jarrard Dupree gifts the library his entire collection of art painted on boards stolen from a neighbor's barn (which theft Kennedy has been manipulated into tracking down by her mother's neighbor). His generosity (which was not in question) and the value of his paintings (which was) sky-rockets when he is found dead drunk and run over in fr ...more
Kathy
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I read this series out of order. Covenant sent me a copy of Murder by the Way for review. I really enjoyed it but when I started it I didn't realize it was book 3 in a series. Once done I went back and started over with the first book to catch up on what I missed.

I enjoyed not knowing who was the good guy and who was the bad guy throughout these books. There were enough twist and turns to keep me guessing even having read the third book first. I was still interested in the story line from the f
Susan
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Sequel, and by now you know my thoughts on sequels. As to this story. Well written but I just don't buy into the Southern "thou shalt not" offend and so don't really buy into this story. The heroine from the first book becomes involved in another murder case when she agrees to help someone she doesn't like but is not allowed to be rude to because her mother would be ashamed of her. OK? Whatever happened to "I'm sorry but I can't."

OK, so now I'm deciding I was too harsh. I need to remember that t
Kaye
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I inadvertently started with the second in the series and it was just okay. Kennedy is a recently divorced, a student and head librarian in a small town in Georgia. Part of the charm is the southern hospitality but it got a bit thin. Doing things because someone claimed they were a friend of a dead grandmother was a stretch. This main mystery centered on a man who donates some paintings to the library who ends up dead. I didn't like that Kennedy really was just around as the mystery unfolds and ...more
Adrienne
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, not-kids

Kennedy Killingsworth becomes involved in her second murder investigation in two months when Jarradd Dupree winds up dead, shortly after having donated some paintings to the local library for an auction. Shortly after his death, his paintings, which despite being rather terrible paintings, are in high demand, with buyers offering outrageous prices for them. As Kennedy tries to figure out who killed him, she's also worried about Sloan, an acquaintance who turns out be an FBI agent being framed by
Susan
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
I didn't enjoy this second installment of the Kennedy Killingsworth novels as much as I did the first book, although it was a good mystery and had some nice twists in it.

However, I guess I'm not into the Southern hospitality thing where you have to do absurd things for people just because they are your neighbor or just because they knew your grandmother, or just because it's tradition or your mother would be mad if you said you didn't want to do it.

I also found a lot of typos, which bothered me.
Sandy
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
After cracking Foster Scoggins's murder case, Kennedy Killingsworth figured life in Midway, Georgia, would settle back to normal (meaning desperately dull). But that thought goes right out the window when a black-clad man climbs in her window the one in her bedroom, that is. As she's startled awake by a hand clamped across her mouth, Kennedy's heart pounds even faster when she realizes the hand belongs to Sloan, the gorgeous and somewhat terrifying construction worker who reveals a surprising al ...more
Jane
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: whitneys-2010
I really like the author's writing style and her characters- they feel very real to me and the author has a fun voice. The love interest is believable. And the best part of this whole book was when one of the (male) characters took their shirt off. It was quite a moment!

I was frustrated that it took 5 chapters for the dead body to show up, and that the heroine did little to solve the actual crime- it just solved itself around her. She played a much more active role in the first book of this seri
Robin
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was probably a 3.5 rating from me. I enjoyed this book because it was a fun murder/mystery book that was clean and wasn't too violent. I am enjoying getting to know the characters in this sleepy little Georgia town. Kennedy Killingsworth is a spunky young woman who wants to help her town and enjoy the relationships in that town. She is surrounded by her family who can get on her nerves but she loves them and loves being with them. Kennedy likes to find out the reasons that unusual things ha ...more
Racquel
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hollie Robb
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
I felt like it was a chore reading this book. I found it boring, and now I hate Kennedy as a character, she is such a stupid character. Her first book "Murder by the Book" was cute and interesting, but this one is just a chore to read. Kennedy didn't learn from the first book. Luke is still head-over-heals with Kennedy. Cade is still a scumbag. It was just disappointing, the whole book was.

One thing I have notice that when Green writes her books she has so many things going on that diverts you
Rebecca
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
It's a mystery of the lighter variety so of course, I liked it. I have no real complaints about the writing. If you liked Murder by the Book this is the sequel and you will like it too.

It's set in the South which adds to the fun of the book.

It is LDS fiction and while the church is mentioned it doesn't interfere with the story.

For those looking for a squeaky clean read, this is a good candidate.
Jenna
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-author, mystery
Betsy Brannon Green is one of my most favorite authors and I always look forward to reading her books. The characters are well written and the descriptions make it very easy to picture the action of the story in the movie if my mind. This particular book, however, was a bit too busy for me. Even though everything tied together eventually, there were so many characters and plot lines that I sometimes found it confusing to follow. Still an entertaining mystery, just not my favorite.
Shayne
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I find Betsy Brannon Green's work totally fun and her characters, ones that have been developed over several years and books, are just delightful. Most of the others can be read out of order and you can still get the ideas of the stories except you should really read the first one she wrote, first. Same with this series. You really need to read the prequel to this so this one makes more sense. But I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
Kelli
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Just as good as Murder By The Book except the criminals seem a little bit more far fetched. I love how things develop between Kennedy and Luke and how comfortable their relationship is. And I really like that Besty Green brings some of her Haggerty characters into these books without overdoing it.
T.K.
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it toyed with me. :) I kept thinking the lovable, but downtrodden characters were waltzing to a dull plot. Then BBG would yank the story around, and leave me white-knuckling the binding: very fun. This book could have used a little more editing, but overall, an excellent read.
Darla
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it
(Genre:LDS fiction/mystery) I always like Betsy Brannon Green's books. Her characters and their dialogue are her strengths and make reading her books entertaining for me. I also enjoy the glimpses into the "Southern" culture. The main character, Kennedy, is quirky and it's fun to spend time in her head.
Patricia
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this second book in the series was better from the first because Kennedy seemed a little clearer about her romantic intentions and not just drifting about constantly like in the first book, and I felt the law enforcement dis-information campaign was more realistic although all the information sharing was still troulbesome. I basically liked it. P.S. I listened to this one, too.
Kim Golding
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book in this series but had a difficult time getting into this one. It didn't really hold my attention and wasn't one of those books I couldn't put down--it's taken me 6 months to read it because I wan't just dying to find out what was going to happen. When i finished I thought, "Oh that was cute," even if it wasn't the best book ever.
Sheila
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this 2nd installment about Kennedy Killingsworth. There were many surprises,
but this book wasn't as intense as the 1st one. I still really love having Luke around and
Cade still is irritating. I liked how there were two mysteries to be solved and one
wasn't figured out until the end. I always enjoy reading Betsy Brannon Green's novels.
Kristen
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, mysteries
This is a typical cozy mystery that I enjoyed. What makes it atypical is that it is also Mormon fiction that incorporates The Church without smackng the reader over the head with Mormon doctrine. They are just a normal part of the story, much like they are in regular life.

Also, different from many other books written lately, the love triangle is over and it is only book two.
Christina
Fun, quick read. Kennedy doesn't really do anything. She just happens to be in the right (or wrong) place at the right time. But, the story is a light, clean, escape. There was something very touching about one aspect of the mystery. I don't know that I would really classify this as LDS fiction. The church is barely a part of the story.
Kayel
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
i don't usually add my audio books, and I've read others by this same author. these books are always simple and fluffy and easy enough, but this was too too lame!! only 6 discs long, but this was a robbery story til 1/2 thru disc 4. Boring! ps, did i already say LAME?
Debbie
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was a good sequel to, "Murder by the Book". I hope that there will be more books in the series. My daughter enjoyed this book also.

I have just gotten done with this book for the second time. I still like it.
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's because I lost my mom when I was 23, but I get really tired of Kennedy's severe lack of appreciation for her mother. I would give absolutely anything to have my mom back to nag and smother me. Apart from that, it's pretty standard for the genre.
  • Crossfire (Saint Squad, #3)
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Shudder
  • Blind Side
"WELCOME!!!!!

If you're not familiar with my books, I write mystery-suspense novels. I am LDS (Mormon) and so are some of my characters, but I have loyal readers from many different faiths. My goal is to engage the reader in my books. I want to make them laugh and cry and worry and dread the end.

Most of my books are set in the fictional town of Haggerty, Georgia - which is loosely based on my grand
More about Betsy Brannon Green

Kennedy Killingsworth (3 books)
  • Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1)
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead