Start by marking “Cloaked” as Want to Read:
Cloaked

Cloaked

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  14,661 ratings  ·  1,600 reviews
I’m not your average hero. I actually wasn’t your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.

It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.

There wasn’t a fairy godmother or any of that.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 8th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cloaked, please sign up.
Abby-Rose Margarida Sparrow You can read them all separately, but some of them do connect. Beastly and Bewitching are part of what is called "The Kendra Chronicles" (this also…moreYou can read them all separately, but some of them do connect. Beastly and Bewitching are part of what is called "The Kendra Chronicles" (this also includes Flinn's more recent books 'Mirrored' and 'Beheld') but they are not a straight-forward series and aside from Kendra no characters have repeat appearances. People say "Cloaked" is not connected to the Kendra Chronicles, but (as I'm currently reading it right now) I think there is a BIG chance that even though Kendra isn't in it, thus not making it part of that series officially, it still takes place in the same universe. Reason being, there is a part when the transformed animals who used to be people talk about an "online support group" for persons like themselves (only they can't join because they don't have fingers to type with); a support group like the one described in passing here exists in Beastly and Kylie uses it frequently. (less)
Elizabeth Yes and no, she has a few, I believe they connect but I am unsure if they need to be read in a specific order, check out alexflinn.com for her other…moreYes and no, she has a few, I believe they connect but I am unsure if they need to be read in a specific order, check out alexflinn.com for her other tales.(less)

·  14,661 ratings  ·  1,600 reviews

Start your review of Cloaked
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OHMYGOD! Alex Flinn is a girl, I mean a woman! All this time, I thought she was a guy. Like a man-man. Like Rick Riordan who retells(is this even a verb?) Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology. This would totally change my perspective in reading his---I mean her books.

I am so regretting that OHMYGOD. Oh here I go again, using the Lord's name in vain. I swore not to but it's hard when you're so surprised. Honestly, I am.

Anyway, I read the premise and I do not know what retelling would this be.
Cara
Before anything I have to mention that for some reason I assumed that this was a re-telling of Red Riding Hood , and for those of you (probably not too many because I'm exceptionally dim sometimes) who thought it was as well I'm here to tell you it isn't. There is a cloak in the story, but no oblivious girls or furry looking grandmothers in sight.

This story follows the life of Johnny, a seventeen-year-old who aspires to be a shoe designer, but what he does is help out with his family's
Joy
"All the good quotes have shoes."

Johnny is just a normal guy who works at his family's shoe repair shop in South Beach, Florida. Then one day, a princess from Aloria shows up and asks him to help her find her brother who's been turned into a frog by a nasty witch. She calls him a "good boy," gives him money and two magical things then promises to marry him after he completes the quest. Soon, Johnny's world is turned completely upside down as he explores a magic that he never knew existed and
Beatrice Masaluñga
Cloaked is an enjoyable, fun, and adventurous book. Alex Flinn is well known to write Fairy Tale Retellings and I've only read Beastly, which I really like. In this book, it's a mash-up fairy tales and most of them are unfamiliar to me (I only knew The Frog Prince).

The first half of this book is indeed fast paced and I'm enjoying the main character's quest as he helps a gorgeous Princess to save his brother who's cursed by a witch to become a Frog. Now the Frog Prince is missing, Princess
Isamlq
Oct 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I vowed not to take the book too seriously and just to go with where it would take me given the constant reference to its nature.. It is a FAIRY TALE RETELLING. So just take it at face value and don’t expect any mind-blowing revelations (Although any such revelations would not be unwelcome.)

Am I glad I attacked it with this light perspective. I most definitely enjoyed CLOAKED. Once I had shucked off my expectations, Johnny’s story became entertaining though of course, most definitely
Lectus
Dec 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Via http://onlectus.blogspot.com/2013/01/...

This book would make a wonder animated movie for children. Yes, for CHILDREN!

Johnny is poor, and he works in the family's shoe repair business in South Beach and secretly wishes to be a famous shoe designer. Her mom has just taken a second job because they don't even make enough in the business to pay the bills.

One day, a princess (real princess from another country) comes to South Beach and, what are the odds? - meets Johnny! Even more, she asks for
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mash up of several fractured fairy tales by the author of Beastly. Johnny is a hard-working 17-year-old who works in a shoe repair store in a fancy Miami hotel. He designs shoes, but since his dad disappeared years ago, the family has barely been able to scrape by, let alone send Johnny off to college, or fashion school, or wherever you go to become a famous shoe person like Jimmy Choo. And no, Johnny’s not gay. He just likes shoes. Okay? Okay.

Ah-hah, you think! Shoes! There will be elves! And,
Meg
Jul 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the worst Alex Flinn books I've ever read. Hell, this could quite possibly be one of my least favorite books I've ever read.

I LOVE Alex Flinn's books. I love her characters, the plots, her writing style, everything! I could read both Beastly, Breathing Underwater, and Breaking Point over and over and OVER AND OVER.

So when I saw this book at my school's library..I was pretty dang excited. Beastly is my favorite Flinn, so I was like...FAIRY RETELLING LETS GO.

Let me tell you, I've never
Anne
If you go into this with the expectation that this is a light fairytale retelling, you'll probably like this one.

I was expecting it to be a modern version of The Frog Prince, and even though that is one of the main fairytales in this book, it's not the only one. At the end of the Book, Flinn lists all of the stories that she drew from, and there were waaay more than I was expecting. One of the stories I wasn't even familiar with (The Salad?). There are (I felt) three main retellings
Gemma
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the best word to describe Cloaked would be ‘cute’.

Cute can mean any number of things, with both negative and positive connotations depending on the context. There’s ‘little baby with chubby cheeks’ cute. There’s ‘guy with nice eyes and a pleasant smile’ cute. There’s ‘seven year old girl who purposely talks in a high pitched baby voices’ cute, which is annoying. There’s ‘don’t be cute with me’ cute, when you try to be witty and your parents get all offended and irritated.

Really, cute
Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛
-POTENTIAL SPOILERS-

Before I knew anything about this book aside from the title, I automatically assumed this was a Little Red Riding Hood retelling, and I was a bit disappointed when I found out it wasn't. There aren't enough good ones out there of that fairy tale.

Anyway, this is just a hodgepodge of various Grimms' Fairy-Tales, all because in her first book readers had no idea what Snow White and Rose Red was. Seriously?! Will you people read a book?! Who DOESN'T know that fairytale!?
Anne Osterlund
Johnny fixes shoes and dreams of designing his own, along with paying the bills, saving the family business, and helping his mom so she doesn’t have to work a second job. Then the princess of Aloria arrives. And she wants Johnny—JOHNNY—to rescue her brother. Whom she claims was turned into a frog by an evil witch, then set loose in the Florida keys.

She’s even willing to marry the guy who rescues her amphibian relation.

Of course, Johnny’s not buying it. Like there might actually be transformed
Kristy
Jun 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Meh - 2.5 stars

This book contains mashup of fairy tale retellings including "The Elves and the Shoemaker," "The Frog Prince," "The Six Swans," "The Golden Bird," and "The Brave Little Tailor." It's a light, quick read, that's supposed to be funny, but the humor didn't come across for me.

Johnny who works at his family's shoe repair shop, is chosen by the beautiful princess Victoriana, to go on a quest to rescue her brother who has been turned into a frog by an evil witch. If he triumphs, he is to
Mollie Katie
Towards the end of January, I was selected by GoodReads to be an advance reader of "Cloaked" by Alex Flinn. I'm not really sure why, as I haven't written a review there. In fact, I had only made a basic account and I hadn't started using the website to its full potential yet. I don't think I'm optimizing it now... My plan is to use it to catalog all the books I've read in 2011, since one of my goals for this year was to read 300 books. I've never really counted how many books I've read in a ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
Rarely do I rate a book so low. And honestly I really would have given this one star but there were a lot of obscure fairy tales included which I love and talking animals so it was entertaining in that respect. Otherwise it was an epic fail. Johnny was just a dumb hero. He never did what he was supposed to. He was impulsive and just kind of a ditz. Just follow the damn instructions you're given but nooo he always would do some dumb shit and then get into trouble. I won't even get into how ...more
Vampire-lk
Disclaimer this has been placed on the DNF list!!!!! At first I thought this was a cool concept! I love classic fairytales especially the creative twist when an author makes it a modern retelling of (princess & the frog) classic fairytale, but sadly this novel was a flop for me! It was too frivolous & lacked any real emotion or attention grabber to me as the reader! I look forward to being so excited & along for the ride next to the characters! Truly submerging myself in that world! ...more
Phoenix
This wasn't really what I expected. I kind of expected more and I thought this book would turn out differently. I have enjoyed author books by this author such as, Beastly and that was a brilliant book. This one just didn't really measure up to that. That's just the reason why I gave it 3 stars but there were things I liked in it.
Misty
Being the fan of fairy tales that I am, I had heard of Alex Flinn, of course. But for whatever reason, I had never read anything by her, so Cloaked is my first. And I have to start by saying: SHE USED THE ELVES AND THE SHOEMAKER!!!

Let me set the scene for you:
Misty, as a small child, had 3 books she was obsessed with. One was The Velveteen Rabbit, which we don't need to discuss here, other than to say she still has it, of course. The other 2 were fairy tales: somebody's (?) beautiful version of
Melanie Dickerson
I really enjoyed Cloaked. I had read two other books by Alex Flinn, and while they were entertaining, this one is my favorite because I really liked the two main characters.

I liked the hero a lot. He was super nice and yet struggled with lots of things. He was so endearing. It was a sweet story that included a hodge-podge of traditional stories and fairy tales. It was never boring, and it had a very nice ending. I would recommend this book to young people, because it included a lot of values and
Jordan
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars-2017
Lyssa
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cloaked was extremely childish and the plot did not flow smoothly. The main character, Johnny, was actually stupid. The things he said and did were completely ignorant. The author tried to mash a bunch of fairy tale retellings together and failed. The dialogue was also poor. The prince and princess spoke in the most annoying accent where every other word started with the letter z. I enjoyed two other books by this author but this is the last one I will read.
Bookwatcher
Jul 06, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-ya, magic
After Beastly by Alex Flinn (<---wonderful book) I'll certainly read another modern fairy tale of Alex Flinn.
ضحى الحداد
LOVED this quick fast paced adventure that I couldn't put down the book until I finished it .. oh man these characters are so adorable I can't even describe how cute they are ..
the story is basically a bunch of retellings of less known fairy tales and it is told in a series of adventure johnny and his best friend Meg have in a quest to find an enchanted frog for princess Victoriana .. love this so much and it is a really nice adventure :D
Sabrina
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When you find out the person you love, loves you, you can't delay. You have to hurry"

May I be the first to say, "AWWWW!". Throughout the entire book, I was displaying 4 types of emotions:

1) Aww-that's-so-cute-he's-so-cute-they're-so-cute

2) Why-can't-I-have-love-like-that-I-guess-I'll-be-forever-alone

3) LOL

4) Omg-I-did-not-see-that-coming-where-the-hell-did-that-come-from

Let's cut to the chase now, shall we?

This book was amazing. Go read it

Oh, you're waiting for a review? An elaboration on why
Jersey
Dear god, reading through this is like dragging yourself off the bed in a Monday morning.

I got no problem with the concept. I mean, who doesn't want to read a mixture of fairytale retellings in one? But unfortunately, this book fell short in its execution.

If there's a medal for the most absurd book I've ever read, this might be on my top ten. Of course, it is a story based on several fairytales and we all know that fairytales aren't really supposed to be logical or sensible. But Cloaked has a
Zoë Danielle
"Stranger things have happened- and recently too."

Cloaked was my first encounter with Alex Flinn, the author behind the fairy tale retelling Beastly. Like Beastly, Cloaked takes a young man in modern times and throws him into the world of fairy tales. In this case the young man is Johnny, a cobbler who dreams of making enough money so that him and his mother don't have to constantly worry about loosing the family business. Johnny also designs shoes in his spare time, making them out of fabric
Chrystal
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing mash-up of a multitude of fairy tales. Throughout the book we stumble upon retellings of many classic and lesser known tales - "The Elves and the Shoemaker," "The Frog Prince," "The Six Swans," "The Golden Bird," and "The Brave Little Tailor." I love how Ms. Flinn updates and changes the tales to blend together into one amazing journey.

The hero, Johnny, is teenage a shoemaker, working in his family's shop and trying to help his mother make ends meet. He is the epitome of a
Annabel ♥
I wasn't really expecting much from this book (don't really know why), so at least it wasn't a complete disappointment. No doubt I was still unimpressed. I haven't read Beastly , which is also by Alex Flinn, but I don't think I'll be reading it since this one was just plain annoying.

This book started out ok. About halfway through I was thinking it would be a 3-star rating. But 60% of the way through, this book fell apart. I ended up skimming through the second half and wishing that it would be
Alyssa hoffmaster