Start by marking “Fire Season” as Want to Read:
Fire Season

Fire Season

For Matt and his flying club, there weren't any options left. Trapped residents, threatened towns and one small airstrip safely upwind of the fire line.

It's not a promising position, but they volunteer to help anyway, hoping a protected position and a close base might make a difference to the fire fighters.

And then the wind changes.
Published December 1st 2010 by Ragged Angel Ltd (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Season

Fate Is the Hunter by Ernest K. GannWind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryWest with the Night by Beryl MarkhamThe Right Stuff by Tom WolfeCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Aviation Books
270 books — 145 voters
Broken Point by Donna K. ChildreeOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountWith Angel's Wings by Stephanie A. CollinsOut of the Black by Lee DotyLoath Letters by Christy Leigh Stewart
Top Indie Books
113 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Fire Season
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
Bush fires are unfortunately a hallmark of summer. In the past decade Australia has faced a serious fire threat resulting in loss of lives and property every year. Thankfully I have been directly involved only once, menaced by flames and thick, ashy smoke on either side of the road as my husband (then boyfriend) and I headed out to his parent's property (well away from the fires).
Set in New Zealand, Fire Season is a dramatic novel that illustrates the horror of being in the path of a ragin
Michelle (Clover Hill Book Reviews)
Very enjoyable read, compulsive and thought evoking. Gently captivating from the start. Once the story snowballed I was drawn into a community pulling together to beat the odds, risking everything.

A very well researched book, detailed in it's descriptions, including those of the planes.

On finishing I'm left with a sense of not knowing if this was real or not...it borders on real life and would make a geat film.

As a book, it's compulsive reading and thought provoking, ful
Ruth
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
i have just finished this book which I won from the giveaway on this site. It isn't the type of book I would normally pick up, but I am very glad I did. It is a very well researched book and at first glance is a "boys" book. However as a girl I still really enjoyed it, as its not just about airplanes, but has a good dramatic story line too. It would make a fabulous film and the ending had me, literally, sitting on the edge of my seat! It was an easy to follow book, and I would recommend this as ...more
Todd Fonseca
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Fire Season – Battling Nature’s Fury

Rating: 4 of 5 stars

Author: VH Folland
Format: Kindle, Paperback

At sixty years old, Matt is a crop dusting pilot who owns a private airstrip and loves to restore vintage airplanes. Living in the beautifully forested valley of Brooke’s Vale, Matt and his friends share a passion for flying and their small community. During the fire season, threatening lightening storms set fire around the region and all hands, even ci
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The beginning of this book, the fir watcher comes to his tower he lives in for four months of the year. There are dead rodents, animal feces, a mattress that was probably an animal sewer and conjugal bed…and he loves his job.
I had to read on.
He explains the monotony of the job, and also the solitude and time of reflection. He discussed the flora a fauna, animal encounters and life in the woods.
Then I find out he is a fairly young and newly married man. His wife Martha is OK bei
Audrey Woods
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Fire Season by V.H. Folland is a great read for those who like suspense and maybe even a little learning. This story takes place in Brooke's Vale and tells us about a depressed man and what he and his flying club must do to save their remote home and the survivors that they can from out of control wildfires that are Hell bent on destroying everything in the way.

If you ever wondered what it is like to be the pilot who is trying to put out all the wildfires that all the dry hot "fire s
Glenda
Jun 10, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Can I ever relate to Fire Season, in AZ where there are several active fires one (Wallow) is showing over 3 hundred thousand acres burned. Murphy is 68 thousand acres and there is also a Prescott fire.
V.H. Folland
Oct 29, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
As I wrote it, I am hardly unbiased.
Albert
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
It takes a while for the drama to start but once you get to it the story is a wonderful amazing reading. This is a recommended read by me and I will be on the lookout for more.
Peter Allcock
Aug 09, 2011
Ed Lister
is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2019
Creative Reviews: Seeking reviews for Fire Season adventure/drama 1 6 Aug 09, 2012 12:42AM
VH Folland is a British author with a lifelong interest in aviation and engineering. On a school trip to Kew Gardens most of the class were looking at the plants, and one small child was staring up at the planes on Heathrow approach. A career spanning media, information and engineering gave this interest plenty of time to grow.

Along the way, an extra hour or two was found to write book