Start by marking “The Soldier's Cross” as Want to Read:
The Soldier's Cross

The Soldier's Cross

Fiona's world is a carefully built castle in the air, made up of the fancies, wishes, and memories of her childhood. It begins to crumble as she watches her brother march away to join in the English invasion of France. It falls to pieces when he is brought home dead.

Robbed of the one dearest to her and alone in the world, Fiona turns to her brother's silver cross in search

Published October 27th 2010 by Ambassador-Emerald International

To ask other readers questions about The Soldier's Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soldier's Cross

Katelyn
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I recently finished The Soldier's Cross, a novel by new author Abigail J. Hartman. I had greatly anticipated reading it, and was not disappointed in its contents. Abigail is a deft authoress who weaves her words with wisdom and grace. The Soldier's Cross, the tale of Fiona's journey to faith in Christ, is a beautiful, compelling story. A great read for someone who wants to stretch their own faith and dive further into God's unfathomable grace and mercy.

I loved the way each character in The Soldi
Joy C.
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
After stumbling across an intriguing review and falling in love with her blog, I traveled with bated-breath through my reading of 'The Soldier's Cross' by Abigail J. Hartman, a book which I thoroughly enjoyed for so many reasons! Abigail's book is a brilliant and touching piece of literature with a well-written story-line and writing style and gripping characters that kept me riveted to the novel till the end, leaving me with a feeling of quiet peace as I drank in the last few words. It was a be ...more
Bekah
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: booksreadin2018
This book has been on my to-be-read list for a long time now and it was definitely worth my time.

What I Liked: This author is definitely a very talented writer. She told a very in-depth story and made it very interesting. I definitely was eager to find out how this story ended.

I will have to admit that I kept cringing and shaking my head at the main character, Fiona. She kept making mistake...after mistake...after mistake (and most of them pretty selfish mistakes.) And then I had the thought:
Great book! Those who like older historical fiction will love the style of this book. Full Review coming soon.
Elizabeth Mundie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
As the four start rating indicates, I was charmed by this book. Abigail Hartman, the author, weaves a quest story with spiritual meaning, historical background, and lyrical writing. The plot moves quickly; I read this book in the span of a few days.

I am impressed that the author was able to explore the meaning of Jesus' cross through the eyes of a girl who doesn't realize its significance. The book is spiritual without being preachy. There is one place where it might be heavy handed, but, mostl
Hannah
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this before!

First of all, I like Abigail's older stories even better. (I can't wait for Wordcrafter to be published! Though I'm sure it's very different than the story I read :).

But, more importantly, I do love this story. My favorite part is that each of the characters, from Fiona to the ones that barely get a mention, are full people, who clearly have their own story and adventure.

My second favorite part is... David and Pierre and the Duke of Gloucester. All
English
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
To start with the positives: this was a beautifully written and well-told story, written when the author was surprisingly young. Very, very few 14- year- olds I know of could write this well. The story is a simple one, concerning a personal quest and spiritual journey told in a classical style. Simple put, its about a teenage girl looking for the cross her brother wore, which was lost when he fell at Agincourt.
There is also a meaningful message here, spelled out at the end, but obvious in the b
Jonathan
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical fiction readers
Shelves: general-fiction
Full disclosure: the author is a friend of mine. As I mentioned regarding her sister’s book, I’m not trying to explain myself for having written a good review. As in the former case, this engaging tale stands on its own merits, not the least of which is its solid commitment to the truth of the Cross.

This book is the story of a journey. The traveler is a young Englishwoman, sojourning in France in search of the totem, a small silver cross, carried by her brother when he fell at the battle of Ag
Wayne Walker
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is A.D. 1415, and fifteen year old Fiona lives on an English estate near Wales with her father, Sir Madoc who is in ill health both physically and mentally, and her older brother Giovanni. Fiona’s God-fearing mother, who had taught Giovanni to love the Lord, died when the girl was very young. Though the family is religious, and Fiona faithfully attends Mass, she often laughs at Giovanni’s concern for her soul. Once an acquaintance of her father’s had asked for her hand in marriage, but Madoc ...more
Rebekah
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've only ever written book reviews on a site where the review format was very structured, so, please, bear with me if I start to ramble a bit.

It is probably shocking to some that I had not read this book yet, as I have known the authoress via else site since before she wrote it. And I am now both sorry I hadn't and glad I now have.

I really enjoyed it! Even knowing the authoress and knowing how well she can write, I was a bit surprised at how well she got her story out there, and the maturity wi
Eyebright
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eyebright by: Abigail Hartman
The Soldier's Cross tells the story of young Fiona, a girl who has seemingly lost everything, and sets out on what begins as a quest to reclaim her brother's cross and chain, and what ends up being a decade long journey that changes her life in every possible aspect.

When I first started reading the Soldier's Cross I admit to being afraid that I wasn't going to like it, despite having wanted to read it. Fiona seemed to be thoughtless, immature, and at times even vexing. Throughout the book I was
Kaity-Jane Culbertson
Courtney Kleefeld
Jul 15, 2012
Kelsey Bryant
Jul 04, 2012
Abigail J. Hartman writes historical fiction and the occasional fantasy from her home in the Eastern United States. She also studies history, with a particular interest in the medieval and early modern periods in Europe. The Soldier’s Cross is her first novel.
“God has arranged strange ways for some of us to find him. Sometimes He brings us on long physical journeys; sometimes He leaves us at home and makes the journey internal. Yours has been both. You have gone a long way and struggled a great deal, but I can see from your eyes that it was not for nothing.” 16 likes