Start by marking “Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets

Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets

A brand-new designer drug arrives in New York City with the force of a hurricane: Triple X, a potentially lethal combination of ecstasy and gamma radiation that is literally turning users from the shadowy, dank alleys to the glittering, raucous party circuit into living, rampaging nightmares. For high school science teacher Peter Parker, Triple X's onslaught on some of his ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 268 pages
Published August 30th 2005 by Pocket Star Books

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Start your review of Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets
Dan
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
It is strange to read a comic book transformed into the medium of novel. The media are different, obviously, but DeCandido seems not to have given adequate thought to the differences. A comic book is similar to a short story, yet it has more characters. When writing a novel, fully explaining the background becomes more important. At times, DeCandido did this, but he was also being very careful to not break any new ground. He could not put anything in his story that was not already well ...more
BookMarc
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Perhaps it's just the shadowing but when I picked up my copy of 'Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets' at the local bookstore I began to wonder whether Spidey had taken to carrying a weapon...albeit in his pants? Perhaps he was just overly pleased to be on the cover? I just don't know. What I do know, disturbing Spider-crotch aside, is that I thought it was a great piece of artwork and better portrayed the prose novel appeal to a more mature audience. Compare it, for instance, to Jim Butcher's ...more
Jodi Ralston
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Spider-Man fans
Good book, though it had some proofing/formatting issues. For example, missing words, stretched letters, a few awkward sentences an editor should have caught. These errors distracted occasionally from the story, but for the most part I was immersed in this tale of Spider-Man/Peter Parker.

The plot synopsis is what attracted me originally: designer-drugs that briefly turn people into superheroes or supervillians, but usually at great cost once they come off them. For most of this novel, this drew
Craig
May 28, 2007 rated it liked it
This was a fine Spiderman adventure. One way in which novels work well with the superhero genre is that they're not limited to so few words as are comics, and they aren't forced to be non-stop action as the films usually are. In this story not only do we see Spidey fighting villians, but we also see Peter Parker portrayed as a good guy in his own right, trying to deal with his job and marriage and such "mundane" concerns.
Jerry
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets is decidedly different from previous web-slinger novels in multiple ways. Not only does the plot involve drug use by minors, but the profanity count is much higher than in the movies or other books. For that latter reason, I must give this book a lower score. Older Spidey fans will find plenty to enjoy about Down These Mean Streets, but young teens and children should definitely stay away.
Stanley
Jun 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is about a gang in New York City, giving out drugs laced with gamma rays to teenagers. After they take it, they get super powers with a time limit on it. When it reaches the limit, the kid would crash and his/her body would start to malfunction. It's up to Spiderman to stop the distribution of the harmful drugs and find who's behind it.
Drew Perron
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhero-prose
A book that tries hard to faithfully show the lived experience of the people affected by the drug trade, but doesn't always quite hit it. As well, the plot kind of trails off in preparation for a sequel. Still, the attempt is appreciated.
Karen
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
My introduction to Spiderman was also Electric Company, with only a few scattered ventures into the comic books. I got a much better sense of the main characters in the novelization. The plot moved well and wrapped things up nicely in the end.
Andrew
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, spider-man, fantasy
Always a welcome novelization to the inner-workings of the Spider-man psyche. This book isn't spectacular, but it never leaves the reader feeling like the story drags its feet.
Aaron Dettmann
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
You average super-hero book. I wish they would've either left Spiderman's rival out all together, or made him more central to the story line. Felt kind of shoved in at the end.
Ray
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, simply awesome. So awesome, in fact, that it makes Ghost Rider look like Aunt May.
Ian
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm a spidie geek
Victoria sky schmidt
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it was great
Ralph
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Much better than one would expect from this sort of thing. Someone's seen The Wire.
Nathan Barnett
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not too great. I feel like nothing really even happened. He fought the villian like 1.5 times finally in the last like 75 pages..
Brett
Jan 18, 2013
Brian Kupfer
Dec 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mr Icy Cold and Other Stories (Popular Rewards)
  • A Hole In Her Pocket And Other Stories (Enid Blyton's Popular Rewards Series Ii)
  • Hamlet