Start by marking “Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child” as Want to Read:
Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  622 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
An exciting contribution to the growing trend of applying Buddhist practices to encourage wellness and balance mental health. Reconciliation focuses on mindful awareness of our emotions and offers concrete practices to restore damaged relationships through meditations and exercises to help acknowledge and transform the hurt that many of us may have experienced as children. ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Parallax Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Reconciliation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconciliation

Maarten
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very helpful and insightful book. Made me smile sometimes too :)

Just felt like pointing out though, that some sentences may sound uncomfortable or might encourage people to put the book down. I refer to some parts in the first chapters where Thich Nhat Hahn talks lightly about suffering, that it is "fine" and that you can "just" bathe your suffering in thoughts of light and everything will become alright. Ofcourse it is not as easy in real life as it sounds. Thankfully, this is acknowledged by
Clay Templeton
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This text by Hanh didn't speak to me as profoundly as True Love did, but that's likely because it reads to me as a more advanced text, that expects the reader to engage in several practices and mantras. As someone who has never attended a Buddhist society meeting of any kind, and only practices alone, I find it nearly impossible to participate in the ways recommended by "Reconciliation"

I look forward to reading another one of his books to further my insight into Mindful Breathing (Peace is in Ev
Korinna
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a short book, but it took me about two weeks to read it because I wanted to take it in and absorb it slowly. Even if you don't identify as someone who likes self-help books (like I don't) or you aren't a buddhist (as I am not) this book is incredibly helpful and powerful. As someone who had, comparatively, experienced a good childhood, and since worked with at-risk youth and lived and traveled in poor countries, I felt at first like I shouldn't be reading this book- that I had already de ...more
Heather Finlayson
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this one cover to cover twice and often pick it up for inspiration. I'm sure I've said of other titles, if you only read one dharma book, let it be this...this is in my top five. It's a powerful combination of buddhist thought mixed with western psychology. Supremely healing.
Tim Weakley
An exploration of healing the inner child from the Buddhist point of view. It made for a good read, if a very quick one. The book is made up of transcripts of dharma talks given by Hanh over a 10 year period. The downside can be that this makes for a little bit of a disjointed flow, but the ideas in the chapters are well worth thinking over.
Renate
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Thich Nhat Hanhs practical spirituality. He is a true teacher that impressed with accessibility and depth. You don't have to be a full swing budhist to find useful stuff here. His views on family relations rang true to me. A book recommended to those striving to be more mindful and more compassionate.
Chrissy
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's probably a ton of books about reconnecting with your inner child, or healing your inner child, or anything to do with your inner child. This is the only book out there that I trust on the matter.
Serena Long ﺕ
I have to stop reading theology book for some time as I need to fully concentrate on my studies. Well, another lovely book by Thay. Powerful combination of Buddhist thought mixed with western psychology. It made for a good read.
Danielle Dorchak
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide for healing, and restoring wholeness. A book to come back to, over and over. Life-changing. Thank you Thich Nhat Hanh.
Jil Plahuta
I read a german translation which lacked in certain places. Thich Nhat Hanh seems like a caring human soul who's words, Im sure, have changed many lives, but I find the approach of believing you have an injured bleeding child inside of you a little morbid. I prefer a more positive approach which steers away from conventional shadow work. The book got a lot better towards the middle and the breathe exercises at the end are actually quit good. I urge any german natives to read it in English though ...more
Vishnu
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: moc-writers, buddhism
This is a great book, by an amazing spiritual leader. I thought it was filled with generally good advice, that was really profound at times as well. If it had any drawback, it seemed a bit too "helicopter view." To get a lot out of the book, I think one would need to bring a lot to it, in particular some sort of appreciation of Thich Nhat Hanh's particular take on Zen Buddhism.

All in all, love this teacher and would recommend everything he writes, especially to those wanting a very easy-to-read
Alice
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Such a healing power! With some short meditations and exercises. I do love Thay's writing style, simple, direct and full of love. It's a very useful book if you are planning to deepen your connection with your inner child and reconcile after old traumas and difficult experiences had during your childhood.
Dhuha
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very beautiful and helpfull
JLiu
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very healing, been blessed by Thay
Mike
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trauma, favorites
As somone who has read many of Thích Nhất Hạnh's books and often turns to them during difficult times, I read this end to end over a 24 hour period, moved frequently to tears. It's instantly my favorite work of his, and I know I will return to it many, many times. I plan to re-read it again over the next few weeks, more slowly, more carefully.

It's an incredibly soothing, practicable review of the elements of his thinking related to trauma, healing, interbeing and reconciliation. I've been in tr
A.H. Haar
In the other books of Thich Nhat Hanh (at least those that I've read-Being Peach, Touching Peace, True Love) he speaks of what to do when our mindfulness is weak; Meditate on the beautiful things, even if only for a few minutes. For those few minutes spent breathing and appreciating the strength and stature of a tree, or the beauty of a flower, are a few minutes you strengthened the seeds of peacefulness and mindfulness while not watering the seeds of anger, fear, or despair. The idea is that on ...more
Seawood
I feel like I've read a lot of this before, literally word for word - I suspect a large amount of it has been used in How To Love, or Anger. Consequently there's a huge chunk on how to reconcile with someone you've fallen out with and a lot of meditation practices. There isn't as much on working with your inner child as I'd expected. It boils down to "meditate with your inner kid and be nice to them." *mystical healing happens*, now go be nice to everyone, even people that hurt you in the first ...more
Jeni Andrews
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such an insightful way to approach your innermost tragedies in life. I really liked how Thich Nhat Hanh explains how you are connected to your ancestor's suffering and that unless that suffering is resolved, you will pass it down to your children. He talks about how to experience anger and sadness in a productive way and to teach yourself mindfulness and compassion towards yourself and others. You cannot go out and heal the world if you do not heal yourself first.

I definitely recommend this book
Maeike Piebenga
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book contains a wealth of wisdom about healing old trauma and hurt that you can be subconsciously still be holding on to. Reading it was a journey in itself, and parts can be read over and over, and have a different meaning every time. The practices go deep and offer a lot of insights. In fact, I read the library e-book at first but now bought the pocket version just so I can easily pick it up and re-experience a text or repeat one of the practices.
I can recommend this book to anyone in su
Sophia Ciocca
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thich Nhat Hanh writes in simple, repetitive phrases to advise us on some of the hardest things -- in this case, healing the inner child and our relationship with ourselves and others. This is the type of book that's probably better as a resource, rather than a beginning-to-end subway read, as it includes meditation exercises and requires time to digest the radical perspective changes he suggests. Still, I'm glad I read it, and I know many of these ideas and reminders will stick in my consciousn ...more
Marie Rose
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't have much to say about this book. But that's not because I don't like it. I do. A lot. It's because I come back to this book over and over again, and every time I do, I take something new from it. Because it's never the same for me twice in a row, I don't imagine two people would ever experience it in the same way. So I don't have much to say, other than, experience it! Read this book. More than once, at different times in your life. You'll be glad you did. I feel so fortunate to be born ...more
Ginni Dickinson
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A deeply compassionate book. Thich Nhat Hanh suggests that it is through understanding the roots of our own suffering that we can be healed and move forward to enjoy the present moment. Also, a major component of our own healing is to understand that all beings suffer. If we view the challenging people in our lives as beings who also suffer we can develop compassion and forgiveness. It is through this forgiveness that deep healing of ourselves can occur. I will be reading this book again and aga ...more
Maggie
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book on mindfulness is very interesting and helpful. It isn't as "new agie" as the title suggests, or maybe it is and I'm just more new agie than I thought. It's about being kind to yourself to acknowledging hurts and not really working through them, but being mindful of them. Okay this probably doesn't make sense, but if you are into mindfulness or are interested, this is a good book to read.
Christy
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dharma
Sweet and beautiful book that will be cherished by anyone that struggles with wounds from the past or anyone feeling lost and out of touch with themselves and the world. We cannot be connected to the world until we are connected with ourselves...it's true. Thay writes with such a gentle and loving voice...the reader cannot help feeling safe and held in every single word. This is a book that I will return to over and over again...
Arahant
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditation
Thay speaks like a sweet Grand Pa. He is a wise and gentle teacher.

The book uses simple language with a profound message. If you feel there are aspects of your childhood that you wish to heal you should read the book.

I hope to try many of these practices. I found the central idea of the inner child very useful.
Bill Holmes
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
This book changed my life. At age 48, I was open to it and needed to change. For me it was about taking care of my childhood pain and bottled up fears and frustrations. The exercises enabled my to forgive myself, my parents, my ancestors. I recommend this to anyone who is ready and willing to work through long term pain and suffering or traumatic experiences.
Shee Tsim Nam
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The principles are there, but the transformation (to practices) may not be entirely smooth. Such practices take time and suitable environment to carry out. I just gather the principle and see if the practices can be modified to my own need.
Tonja
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good book to remind us that we must forgive ourselves and face our fears/guilt. Easier said than done, of course. But I often go back to this, open a page, and start reading. And I always learn something new about myself.
Margaret
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book and the second I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh. His way of writing brings me into the now and often fills me with joy. This book explores our ancestry and how the experiences of our grandparents and parents become a blueprint in our own lives.
Marcia
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book with a beautiful message. Hanh shares an eternal message of love and healing and compassion and clearly describes for his readers the steps needed to heal oneself as well as others. Such a great read, especially helpful if one is in need of some reconciliation...
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening
  • How to Meditate with Pema Chodron: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...
“The reality is that we are safe and we have the capacity to enjoy the wonders of life in the present moment. When we recognize that our suffering is based on images instead of current reality, then living happily in the present moment becomes possible right away.” 4 likes
“Without suffering there cannot be happiness. Without mud there cannot be any lotus flowers.” 1 likes