Start by marking “Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child” as Want to Read:
Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

An exciting contribution to the growing trend of applying Buddhist practices to encourage wellness and balance mental health. Reconciliation focuses on mindful awareness of our emotions and offers concrete practices to restore damaged relationships through meditations and exercises to help acknowledge and transform the hurt that many of us may have experienced as children. ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Parallax Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Reconciliation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconciliation

Maarten
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very helpful and insightful book. Made me smile sometimes too :)

Just felt like pointing out though, that some sentences may sound uncomfortable or might encourage people to put the book down. I refer to some parts in the first chapters where Thich Nhat Hahn talks lightly about suffering, that it is "fine" and that you can "just" bathe your suffering in thoughts of light and everything will become alright. Ofcourse it is not as easy in real life as it sounds. Thankfully, this is acknowledged by
Korinna
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a short book, but it took me about two weeks to read it because I wanted to take it in and absorb it slowly. Even if you don't identify as someone who likes self-help books (like I don't) or you aren't a buddhist (as I am not) this book is incredibly helpful and powerful. As someone who had, comparatively, experienced a good childhood, and since worked with at-risk youth and lived and traveled in poor countries, I felt at first like I shouldn't be reading this book- that I had already de ...more
Clay Templeton
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This text by Hanh didn't speak to me as profoundly as True Love did, but that's likely because it reads to me as a more advanced text, that expects the reader to engage in several practices and mantras. As someone who has never attended a Buddhist society meeting of any kind, and only practices alone, I find it nearly impossible to participate in the ways recommended by "Reconciliation"

I look forward to reading another one of his books to further my insight into Mindful Breathing (Peace is in Ev
Smitha Murthy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, the thing with trying to be a Buddhist is that it seems all too hard to follow. Until you realize that the complexity comes from you - life is absorbingly simple. One breath at a time. Thich Nhat Hanh presents a beautiful exploration of that simplicity in this book. Much of the focus is on healing ourselves from the damage of our childhood. What I loved most were the passages where he prescribes simple breathing exercises to elevate and strengthen our spiritual suffering.

A book that
Heather Finlayson
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this one cover to cover twice and often pick it up for inspiration. I'm sure I've said of other titles, if you only read one dharma book, let it be this...this is in my top five. It's a powerful combination of buddhist thought mixed with western psychology. Supremely healing.
Janelle
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like any self-growth book, the value lies in your amount of honest participation. Simply reading it and expecting a magical transformation to occur is misguided. The strength of this book is in the explicit exercises given in the second portion to enable you to confront old wounds with courage, compassion, and tenderness. I try to put Thay's teachings into practice in my daily life, but I do not succeed every day, or even most days. But I can say that on the days I commit to them and make a larg ...more
Renate Eveline
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Thich Nhat Hanhs practical spirituality. He is a true teacher that impressed with accessibility and depth. You don't have to be a full swing budhist to find useful stuff here. His views on family relations rang true to me. A book recommended to those striving to be more mindful and more compassionate.
Tim Weakley
An exploration of healing the inner child from the Buddhist point of view. It made for a good read, if a very quick one. The book is made up of transcripts of dharma talks given by Hanh over a 10 year period. The downside can be that this makes for a little bit of a disjointed flow, but the ideas in the chapters are well worth thinking over.
Serena Long ﺕ
I have to stop reading theology book for some time as I need to fully concentrate on my studies. Well, another lovely book by Thay. Powerful combination of Buddhist thought mixed with western psychology. It made for a good read.
Chrissy
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's probably a ton of books about reconnecting with your inner child, or healing your inner child, or anything to do with your inner child. This is the only book out there that I trust on the matter.
Danielle Reese
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide for healing, and restoring wholeness. A book to come back to, over and over. Life-changing. Thank you Thich Nhat Hanh.
suzanne glotfelty
I will never finish this book. I love his poems, these simple meditations, Buddhist ideas brought out to the open, simplified. Each time I dip into the book for calm thinking, it is as if I were reading it for the first time. Love this teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh. Reconciliation explores the vast history that each person houses in each cell of the body, each thought that springs from experience and abstraction, and the family that back beyond the start of time is still with us today. I would recomm ...more
Juan Rivera
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lecturas-2018
If the child you were when you were five years old could talk with you today, would you be proud of who you are?
How can you get in touch with that child and take care of him in such a way that you become what you want to be?
The most important reflection of the book "Prendre soin de l'enfant intérieur" by Thich Nhat Hanh for me has been that we are the architects of our destiny, but not only that, we have designed who we are, the experiences we are living.
It is amazing what we could do if we chan
Diana Shaffner
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Learning to reconcile your past with your present can help transform anger, sadness, and fear into joy and tranquility. Thich Nhat Hanh how to accomplish just that through mindfulness, meditation, and openness. Discussed are ways to heal the self as well as relationships to others regardless of it the other person is still alive or not. Some exercises allow the reader to experiment with the ideas and suggestions but ultimately find one's own inner voice that will guide towards reconciliation and ...more
Colby
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Thich Nhat Than is a lovely writer and this book is a very gentle thoughtful examination of Buddhist and mindfulness philosophies as they pertain to dealing with and overcoming past trauma. However, as a non-practitioner it’s a little overwhelming in its conversation around how to put these ideas into practice. It left me feeling a little bit at a loss as to how to use the meditations or practices he lays out; perhaps this is a book better suited to practice Buddhists. If, like me, you aren’t a ...more
Lorena Pantano
Gives good advice but it needs an open mind

I liked the testimonial letters. They are at the end, and I would like to have at first to engage with the reader. It helps to change your mind about life, but the reader needs to be open mind if the spiritual word doesn’t mean anything to you. I don’t fully understand or agree with each word but I understand the concept and translate it to my world. Probably a more spiritual person will give a 5 to the book and a complete material person a 0. So, the b
Kirkley
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The more Thich Nhat Hanh books I read (Four to date, and counting), the more convinced I become that fearlessness is the way, that that fearlessness is cultivated through mindfulness, and mindfulness is cultivated though fearlessness. It is important to be fearless enough and very patient to look within yourself and embrace whatever it is that you are feeling, without judgment. There is no quick fix, people, but the information in this book is valuable and healing and a step in the right directi ...more
Vishnu
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, moc-writers
This is a great book, by an amazing spiritual leader. I thought it was filled with generally good advice, that was really profound at times as well. If it had any drawback, it seemed a bit too "helicopter view." To get a lot out of the book, I think one would need to bring a lot to it, in particular some sort of appreciation of Thich Nhat Hanh's particular take on Zen Buddhism.

All in all, love this teacher and would recommend everything he writes, especially to those wanting a very easy-to-read
Katie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who has done a fair amount of inner-child work based on Buddhist principles in therapy, much of the content here was familiar. However, the language Thich Nhat Hanh puts it in is absolutely beautiful. I underlined so much. I still need to read through and do the practices, but I'm done with the bulk of the content.
smilljns
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a healing power! With some short meditations and exercises. I do love Thay's writing style, simple, direct and full of love. It's a very useful book if you are planning to deepen your connection with your inner child and reconcile after old traumas and difficult experiences had during your childhood.
Wanja Chomba
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love to take long drives during which I listen to audiobooks. Earlier today I purposely took one of those leisurely drives because I wanted to listen to this book. Loved it. It is about 4 hours long and full of some wonderful nuggets on mindfulness, forgiveness et cetera. I can't wait to read the book and work on the meditation exercises.
Highly recommended.
Berta Viteri
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditation
If you already practice meditation and mindfulness this book is very very very helpful. If you don't, I think maybe you should get to know a bit of these practices first. This book has really helped me to go deeper and to relax.
Divya
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting perspective on meditation and meditation exercises, and gives a good preamble into why we should meditate at all. Overall, good read, with specific meditation exercises to end with.
Dhuha
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: مفضلة
very beautiful and helpfull
J. Maximilian Jarrett II
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Be kind to all, starting with yourself and the child within you.
Ashley Wiersma
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goodness. Heeding the exhortation to inter-be ... practicing speaking the three sentences for reconciliation ... this little book could change the world. Certainly expecting it to change mine.
JLiu
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very healing, been blessed by Thay
Heather
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. Offers simple, effective strategies to help survivors of childhood trauma heal and find compassion for those who caused their suffering.
Colleen
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Thay’s books & always get so much from his writing but I was confused by this. I picked it up for the inner child work but much of the book was geared towards current relationships.
Kim
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this

This helped me a great deal in seeing my parents differently, my grandparents differently, and even my children differently. Will read again and again.
« previous 1 3 next »

• It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Should I Stay or Should I Go?: Surviving a Relationship with a Narcissist
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
“The reality is that we are safe and we have the capacity to enjoy the wonders of life in the present moment. When we recognize that our suffering is based on images instead of current reality, then living happily in the present moment becomes possible right away.” 7 likes
“Without suffering there cannot be happiness. Without mud there cannot be any lotus flowers.” 3 likes