Start by marking “Anyone but Him” as Want to Read:
Anyone but Him

Anyone but Him

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  672 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Andie and her sister Jin have never seen eye to eye. Andie doesn't envy Jin her marriage to a wealthy businessman, while Jin can't believe Andie's happy with her man-free existence (if only she knew!). But when their widowed mother Cora comes back from a Caribbean cruise with more than just a suntan, Andie and Jin are united in horror. Who is this gorgeous young man who's ...more
Published March 28th 2005 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Anyone but Him, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anyone but Him

Dec 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
If I had to spend any time with these characters for real, I probably would kill myself. Cora and Jack are the only two who seem even remotely okay. The other four are nutcases. One is shallow and bonkers, one has ideals most likely comparable to a neanderthal, one is a selfish dog and one is completely fine with being stepped on all the time. No, don't waste any time reading this book.
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Een leuk verhaal om te lezen. Maar niet heel speciaal vergeleken met de boeken die ik de laatste tijd heb gelezen. Daarom heb ik het drie sterren gegeven. Toen ik aan dit boek begon, was ik op zoek naar een luchtig verhaal en dat is dit boek zeker. Het boek is ook anders dan ik had verwacht op basis van sommige recensies, en dan in positieve zin. Door de slechte recensies was ik bang dat het boek me zou tegenvallen, maar dat is niet gebeurd. Wat ik goed vindt aan dit boek is dat het niet alleen ...more
Yuana Ates
May 21, 2007 rated it liked it
In the beginning, I love this book. I was looking forward to read another chapter. The story about Jin, Andie and Cora is very interesting, and the writer's words was very easy to digest.
Unfortunately... she closed this story with 'strange ending'...
Jin was love Kevin to death... but why suddenly she changed her mind?
Jin was only think about baby for weeks, why did she become so obsessed about it??? Sheila should have written more about this conflict!
Why was Cora so calm about the fact that Jac
May 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry, but sex honestly is not the be-all and end-all of a relationship! There I'm as conservative as to quote Leonard Woolf and agree with him: "Man survives earthquakes, epidemics, the horrors of disease, and all the agonies of the soul, but for all time his most tormenting tragedy, has been, is, and always will be - the tragedy of the bedroom" (Glendinning 2006: 473).
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read it a long time ago but I remember giggling and laughing and being really happy when I read this book. I should read other books by this author
Angela Joyce
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-fillers
It made the time pass on the plane, anyway.
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great read by Sheila O'Flanagan, easy to read and a meaningful story. Some laugh out loud moments!
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an easy, typical chick-lit read. No undue surprises, twists or turns. Great beach reading.
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun read.
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a bit to get into but I realized this was exactly the type of read I was looking for. Something light, fun and full of misunderstandings.
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
couldn't wait to finish the book.. there were many interesting twists.. but the ending was too simple..
Jennifer Hazlett
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story - atypical chic-lit and unpredictable :) An enjoyable read!
Zel Polev
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I never read anything from Sheila O'Flanagan before. I was reluctant to read the book and one of the reason is that it has 600 pages. I thought I will never finish it but I'm surprised that I managed to finish it.

Well, I was not determine to read it when I started reading it but after two pages, I thought, OK, this sounds interesting. The story was packed with family member's conflict where 2 girls being electrified by their mother's new hot hunk after spending holiday on a cruise.

The story is s
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story is s
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Oh god, this book was so typical. Two sisters and their widowed mother. The two sisters of course, are so different but when their mother returns from a cruise vacation with a much younger man, they band together to get to the real reason he is with her. Because no one so young and so good looking could possibly be interested in an old lady.

One of the sisters was that rich and beautiful type who thinks she knows it all. like 2/3 through the book though she breaks down and realizes she wants a ch
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
While trying to finish Stephen King's "The Talisman" - a very long haul - I decided to read something lighter but enjoyable. O'Flanahan is a funny Irish writer who spins an amusing tale about two sisters who don't understand each other but gradually, through fairly unusual circumstances, come together. This is a book about secrets, and almost everyone has a secret that is revealed at the end. It's also a book about living your own life and not being dominated by another person. The main male rol ...more
June Ahern
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Too long for where it was going. A widow and two adult daughters who are very different in values of life and love althoght both in relationships with some major problems. Mom brings home to Ireland a hunk 20 something years her junior. The girls Andy and Jin are beside themselves. Is he a gigolo? Jin is shallow and Andy pitiful with only their mother Corinne worthy to hear any sense. To long. Did I say that?
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by Sheila O'Flanagan, and apparently I genuinely enjoyed it, since I read it in a single day... granted that it was a day off, and I was lying in bed relaxing with my cuddly dogs the whole time, but I obviously got into the story. The title at first seems to be a clear reference to the mum's boyfriend. but the significance shifts as the story unfolds (don't worry, no spoilers here!).
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book
Between the lack of morals and the missing 3rd dimension of any of the characters, I eventually got to the end of this. The only family members I could warm to were the grieving widow & her toy boy who she met on a cruise. Jake's actually the only reasonable person amongst the whole crew, with the exception of the only other single male who will undoubtedly end up partnered with someone (oh I wonder who?!?), the upstairs neighbour Dominic. Lots of yawns and groans listening to this.
Jessica Pappa
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
it started out ok but it just seemed to repeat the same thing over and if the author had to fill the pages.i just skiped paragraphs.....many times.i was going to give it 1star but i did want to find out about the ending so maybe it would be a little ufir since i did finish all i would say it was boring and tiring
Kelly (kel3006)
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
It has taken absolutely ages to read this book. Fancied a bit of light chic lit reading after a few detective/murder books but found it to be quite repetitive. I ended up enjoying the last 1/3 of the book as that is when the story got going and I read this over a few days. I think that it should have really been over about 300 pages rather than 600+. In the end I did enjoy the book
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another great read from Sheila O'Flanagan, a lot of twists and a interesting story, kept me guessing right until the end, another book of her's I couldnt put down.
Sarnai Amartumur
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Dominic yeahh!!!
Pamela Mc cully
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
just finished this found it difficult to put down but ending a bit disappointing could have at least had the future epilogue to clear things up
Very light entertainment. Enjoyable
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting, like the characters specially the toy boy. :-)
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
characters lack depth, no good plot, usually i enjoy sheila's books, this is an exception
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good, light read for my holiday in Rarotonga. Nothing too shockingly unbelievable. The piano pieces would be even more relevant and interesting for someone who is familiar with piano music.
  • Double Wedding
  • The Old Girl Network
  • The Love Letter
  • An Outrageous Affair
  • The Triumph of Katie Byrne
As you can see, a Dubliner all my life. My parents owned a grocery shop in the Iveagh Markets, in the Liberties area of the city and I guess city blood runs through my veins.

As a child I enjoyed reading and telling stories and everyone thought that I end up in a job which had something to do with books and literature. But though I applied for a job in the library all of the job offers I got were i
More about Sheila O'Flanagan...

Fiction Deals

• Want Not
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99