Start by marking “Wind from an Enemy Sky” as Want to Read:
Wind from an Enemy Sky

Wind from an Enemy Sky

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A tragedy of good intentions gone hopelessly wrong, Wind from an Enemy Sky tells the story of the Little Elk People, a fictional Northwestern tribe. Through the eyes of Antoine, grandson of the tribal leader, we see the tribe attempt to overcome their demoralization at the hands of advancing white civilization.

The Indians respond to the building of a dam by trying to gain
Published July 1st 1988 by University of New Mexico Press (first published October 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Wind from an Enemy Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wind from an Enemy Sky

Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
does it make me shallow that I don't like depressing books all that much?
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book for school, and I probably wouldn’t have picked it up on my own, but it was still a good read. It was interesting and insightful learning about the native culture. However I found that whenever I stopped reading I didn’t have the desire to pick the book back up. Throughout the novel there were parts that held my attention but then it would become dull and continue to cycle in this pattern.
Jessica Hagen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was required to read it for class, but it was definitely a good read. Very informative, rather eye-opening, and I would definitely recommend this to people interested in Native American literature.

It was certainly not a happy read, so don't go into this expecting to feel happy and content at the end, as it does seem true to its history, but I definitely think it is worth the read.
Michelle Boyer
A story about the Little Elk people (fictional) attempting to fight against colonization. There are also undertones that one of the returned grandsons (had a boarding school education) is unaware of how to best go about blending back into the tribe.

A good story, but some lull narrative.
Megan Davis
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-required
Read for a school assignment. The first 75% of the book was incredibly boring for me (I flat-out skipped pages 80-150) but the last bit really redeemed it. It has one of those ending where all you can do is close the book and say "holy shit."
Pvt. Ambrose
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canon
This book is a rarity of treasures amidst Native American canon literature. The way it's executed, it's surprising that it's not widely considered a classic--it fits the mold. With complex chronology, complicated structure, and intense Steinbeck-esque description, McNickle certainly had the mentality of an immortal courier of important messages.

The author's thesis is that Native Americans and the invasive Anglos cannot possibly reside with one another in harmony. Through a story laden with theme
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Wind from an Enemy Sky is the story of an indian tribe as it tries to balance the new "white man" ways with the traditional indian ways. It is also about the conflict between two brothers, each who chose a different path to live and influenced the entire tribe with those choices. Family is sometimes the people we have the most conflict with but it is only because they are the people we love the most. I was able to see from this story that the laws and morals of the white man really were foreign ...more
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the second, and last, of his novels, McNickle continues to impress. Wind from an Enemy Sky tells the story of a cast of characters whose lives come to intersect around the building of a dam. As innocuous as this sounds, the building of the dam is the catalyst to the destruction of several ways of life. Through misunderstanding and misunderstanding, two cultures come to collide, even as both make strides towards reconciliation. Having just finished this novel, I am still mulling over its impli ...more
Christina Bouwens
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A powerful narrative with rich dialogue -- the best of the Native American novels I have read for my summer seminar, by far. Thought-provoking and meant to stick in the gut like any good storytelling will do.
Becky Straub
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
What a sad, odd story. It is an work of fiction, but is based on actual tribal relations with the government in the 1960's. The story tried to show both sides. I'm not sure if I actually liked the story, but I do think my brain grew a little in the area of Native American knowledge.
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this story rather slow and I didn't care for the ending. I feel that it was written from an outsider perspective trying to force their knowledge and make it feel authentic. It just wasn't authentic for me.
Trisha Carlson
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
could be an interesting one to teach with tie ins to: MT history, Native American history, identity, cultural clashes, manifest destiny, expansion, homesteading
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

• Chief Left Hand: Southern Arapaho
  • Baptism of Desire
  • Edward Abbey: A Life
  • A Narrative of the Life of Mrs. Mary Jemison
  • A Pen Warmed-Up in Hell: Mark Twain in Protest.
  • Nothing But the Truth: An Anthology of Native American Literature