Start by marking “The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred” as Want to Read:
The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred

The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred

A farm girl prepares a cazuela (pot) of rice pudding, the animals on the farm eagerly help. Key English words change to Spanish as the cumulative verse builds. Includes a glossary and a recipe for arroz con leche.
Published February 1st 2011 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Wonderful story, wonderful art, great Spanish vocabulary builder!
Haley Simmons
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-21-30
This book tells the story of a farm maiden who is making rice pudding. All of the animals are helping her, and they each play a specific role. Once the farm maiden's rice pudding begins to boil over, then the animals all pitch in to help. I would recommend this book, due to its use of Spanish words and diversity. This book also has a dictionary in the back to assist readers with the language. I think this book would be an excellent tool for teaching sequencing.
Lydia
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tale of a group making rice pudding. The story builds on itself (a la "The House that Jack Built" style) and adds in Spanish vocabulary, so fun and informative!

Also contains the recipe for Rice Pudding, so bonus activity if wanted.

No content issues.

Lindsey
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this silly cumulative story. The glossary in the back and the progression from introducing a word first as English and then throughout the remainder of the text in Spanish make it a great bilingual read aloud for me.
Betsy
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am lucky to work in a children’s room with a significantly sized bilingual section. The books you’ll find there cover a wide range of languages. Chinese, Arabic, Urdu, you name it. Of them the largest section by far is the Spanish language section. Of course, what we don’t really include in this section are books that integrate Spanish words into English text, though the stories are predominantly in English. There really isn’t a name for this kind of book, which is a real pity since they serve ...more
Sean Albright
1. Opening: Hola! ¿Como estas? Are any of you wondering what I’ve just said? Well, while we read The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden stirred by Samantha Vamos, we will be walked through the preparation of a traditional Mexican dish and the author will teach us several Spanish words along the way. Do any of you know any Spanish words? Follow along as we learn a bit about the Mexican culture and their language.

2. Opening Moves: Lay the groundwork for children’s understanding of diverse settings and
Heather Pool
This book appeals to any gender around the grades preschool to second grade. This book is great for a spanish lesson, because it's a continuation story. So it says one line, then on the next pages repeats that line then adds another and so on. But when the lines repeated, one of the words would change to spanish. I thought this book was fun, I liked learning the new words in spanish! There was a glossary in the back to help with the spanish words incase a student didn't understand the words and ...more
Whitney
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to read to my baby boy before he's born and while doing so, find the books I really like that I want to add to my registry and eventually his little library! This was such a cute little bilingual story about a campesina and animals that help her make rice pudding in a cazuela. Various words are in spanish that help the story flow, from the vaca that brings the leche, etc. Everyone helps make the arroz con leche and then they get to enjoy it together! The illustrations were brightly co ...more
Rebecca
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This twist on the cumulative tale "The House That Jack Built" adds an ingredient with each verse (in English), then repeats the list with the added word switched to Spanish. It's a fun and sneaky way to learn some Spanish vocab. Bright, warm-colored illustrations; includes a recipe for Arroz con Leche (rice pudding) and a Glossary of Spanish words.
Tasha
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fresh, fabulous cumulative tale that is made spicier and more interesting thanks to the Spanish sprinkled liberally throughout. It is the story of a farm maiden who stirred a pot. Once she started stirring, all of the animals wanted to help with what she was cooking. The cow gave milk, the hen gave eggs and zested the lime which was picked by the donkey who was carrying the duck to the market. Eventually everyone is waiting for the treat to be finished until they started playing music ...more
Kelsi
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elm-335
Throughout my time in the Elementary Ed proram at NCSU I have developed a love for #diversereads! Through projects such as good reads and biblionasium I have discovered the genre of bilingual books, and I am hooked! I can only imagine the power these books could have in my diverse and most probably bilingual classrooms in the future! This specific Mexican Folktale, while simple in construction, would be a wonderfully fun way to engage students learning Spanish or fluent in Spanish as it is a bil ...more
Kathryn
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was probably a "three star" for me as I didn't personally find the "story" riveting and the artwork wasn't my especial cup of tea, but I can really appreciate the intent behind the work and feel that it would make an excellent choice for bilingual families or families wishing to introduce some Spanish vocabulary to their children.

This is a Latin American version of "The House that Jack Built" with various farm animals adding ingredients to the pot (cazuela) that the farm maiden stirs. What
Monica
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audience:PreK and up. Could even be used in upper level Spanish classes.

Appeal:Bright, colorful pictures. Some humorous pictures. Written in the style of "The House that Jack Built" the story builds Spanish vocabulary as it uses English words when a new line is introduced, but replaces one key word with the Spanish version in all the lines after. Sometimes, I had to go back and remind myself what the Spanish word meant! Recipe for Rice Pudding (Arroz Con Leche)is included in the back of the boo
Beth
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Audience: Pre-K and up, Spanish speakers/ESL students or children learning Spanish
Appeal: This book has a lot of repetition and the first time a word is used, it is in English, but then is replaced in Spanish each time after. The illustrations are bold and vibrant and I think Spanish learners would really enjoy trying to remember what each Spanish word means.
Award: Pura Belpre Award 2012 Illustrator
Alyson
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a tribute to the classic nursery rhyme "The House That Jack Built." The words don't flow as smoothly as I would have liked, but the illustrations are stunning. It is a fun book with the added bonus of a recipe and glossary of the Spanish words used.
Bethe
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #49. Delightful illustrations and a sprinkling of Spanish will be a big hit with the 2x2 crowd at my school. Will definitely have to try the arroz con leche recipe at the back!
Franki Sibberson
A fun cumulative tale--lots of great Spanish words embedded in story. Great illustrations. Style of House that Jack Built/Cumulative Story
Garren
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Apt art. The english word for everything before it goes into the spanish version in 'The House that Jack Built' style. And a recipe! This is top tier stuff.
Coach D
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Any story that requires the reader to say the word "mantequilla" a dozen or so times is a winner in our book!
Victoria Bottoms
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 31-40
This is a book that tells the story of how a farm maiden made some rice pudding. All of the animals worked together on the farm, in order to bring ingredients for the rice pudding. The book was fun to read because it slowly incorporates more and more Spanish, by the end of the book, the reader is reading a lot of Spanish.

Evaluation: I think that this book was so fun to read! The Spanish made it very engaging because the reader had to pay attention to the English words on the page, because some
Steph
Not too often do I give picture books five stars. Even when I love the picture book. La Cazuela stands apart as an exception. The bilingual nature of of this picture book allows the reader / parent / teacher to teach children Spanish. Children can learn not only how to identify farm animals, but also learn them in English and in Spanish. La Cazuela is clever and adorable. The repetition allows the parent or teacher to engage the lesson every single page. The book ends with the animals all contri ...more
Elizabeth
This picture book is an 2012 honor book from the Pura Belpre Award list and is great for boy boys and girls. I would say the grade level for this book would be kindergarten through second grade. This book would be great for reluctant readers because it is fast-paced and fun to read. The book is so repetitive that the audience or readers will be able to follow along and join in if someone else is reading to them. The pictures are another appealing aspect of the book, they are bright and bold. The ...more
Melissa
Artist Rafael Lopez created the amazing Book Fiesta, which is a book I pretty much want to live in, the illustrations are so phenomenal. He works his magic again in Cazuela: his red-and-orange palette makes me feel like I'm somewhere fun, sunbathing and happy.

I love how the text introduces the words first in English, then adds them to the cumulative tale in Spanish. But the story is a little long, and never quite builds up the chugging-along rhythm that the original "The House That Jack Built"
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was the 2012 Pura Belpre Award honor book for illustrations, and it is, indeed, colorful. The story, in a manner similar to "The House That Jack Built," describes the steps the farm maiden takes to make arroz con leche, or rice pudding. Along the way the reader learns Spanish words, and is even provided with a yummy recipe for arroz con leche at the end. Children should enjoy the colorful pictures and the bouncy rhythm of the text.
Ashlee Christians
This book is from the Pura Belpre Award.

The audience is younger to middle aged elementary readers. The reader learns many words in Spanish from reading this book. It is definitely appealing to the audience because the pictures are very colorful and younger students are sure to enjoy the repetition of the story.
Kylie Svoboda
Audience: 1st-4th graders who are bi-lingaul or whom have Spanish speaking backgrounds
Appeal: The story would intrigue young readers because of the bright and cheerful illustrations. The book also uses repetition so the children could predict the words on the pages. The book also uses humor with animals.
Award: a Pura Belpre Honor Book
Toni Chahine
I liked this story. One thing I found very interesting about it was the author included a recipe for rice pudding in the end. This story was full of many Spanish words that I did not know, so having a glossary was helpful! This story was basically about how the farm maiden made her "Cazuela." It was a cute story with nice illustrations!
Vamos a Leer
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This fun and engaging book tells the story of a young farm maiden who, by enlisting the help of various farm animals and the farmer boy, makes a steamy, delicious pot of arroz con leche. The book has a lively, festive tone and the cooking process is described as a fun, unifying celebration, emphasizing the cultural and communal importance of food. In preparing the arroz con leche, everyone at the farm, including the anthropomorphized animals, must do their part and contribute. This not only exem ...more
Genesis Romo
The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred is a Pura Belpre Award Winning book written by Samantha R. Vamos. The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred is a multicultural book that represents the Latino community, which is also a bilingual book that includes two languages. This bilingual book is an easy reader book and a nursery rhyme book which includes illustrations that follows the flow of the words. The books main characters are the farmer maiden, the animals, and the campensino. The book takes ...more
David
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred by Samantha R. Vamos, illustrated by Rafael López, tells the cumulative story of how the arroz con leche (rice pudding) was made.

Goat churned the cream to make butter, cow was milked, duck bought sugar at the market, donkey plucked a lime, hen laid the eggs, the farmer planted the rice, the farm maiden stirred the pot, everyone stirred, said thank you (gracias), and ate the rice pudding.

The text introduces a word in this cumulative tale, then substitutes
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• These Hands
  • My Abuelita
  • Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin
  • A New Year's Reunion
  • Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros (Bilingual Spanish-English)
  • Migrant
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat
  • Papá and Me
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
Samantha R. Vamos is the author of "Alphabet Boats" (2018), "Alphabet Trains" (2015), "Alphabet Trucks" (2013, illustrated by Ryan O’Rourke), "The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred" (illustrated by Rafael López) – 2012 Pura Belpré Illustration Honor – its companion book, "The Piñata That The Farm Maiden Hung" (2019, illustrated by Sebastià Serra), and "Before You Were Here, Mi Amor" (2009, illu ...more