Start by marking “Simple Truth - 1st Edition/1st Printing” as Want to Read:

Simple Truth - 1st Edition/1st Printing

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  25,402 Ratings  ·  601 Reviews
1st Edition/1st Printing
Published November 18th 1998 by Warner Books, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Simple Truth - 1st Edition/1st Printing, please sign up.

Christine Green I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. Finished over 700 pages in about 3 days. David Baldacci writes a damn good story.

Suzanne
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
The first novel by this author they I've read, really enjoyed it. Felt very connected to Rufus and his plight. I will read more of this author for sure. This is a prolific author I really don't know much about. Maybe my friends will have to help me fill in the blanks!
Captainslog
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in and around Washington DC. It centers around an old man who has spent the last 25 years of his life in a military prison for murder. He files an appeal (I won't tell you why), and a star clerk for the Supreme Court gets involved.

There are lots of twists and lots of suspense. There's murder, cover-up, romance, and everything else that David Baldacci is great at. If you've read anything else by him and liked it, you'll love this one.
Linda
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love a tantilizing mystery
Gyula
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I do like a good thriller, especially with twists and turns. The first few pages of this book are so well written, that I found it promising. Reading further I was wondering if it was necessary to introduce so many characters in the beginning. Now I think it wasn’t. Some of them could appear later, and the first part of the book could be better paced.

Baldacci kept the secret hidden until the crisis, which was supposed to give suspense. Actually I found it out at the half of the book, so the fina
Jim
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read one other novel by David Baldacci, Divine Justice, one of the Camel Club novels. This was a much better book. Browsing reviews of this book by other readers I get the impression that there are elements of this novel that are common to some of his other books as well. I can understand why that might well be annoying to readers who have read lots of an author's novels. But as someone who is dealing with just this one novel, I'm going to talk mostly just about this book.

I liked it an awfu
Rod
A well crafted fast moving treat it's my second read for the week.
I have been away all this week and read "Last Man Standing" and feel that David Baldacci has raised the Bar a level with this book we had interesting twists and one quite big surprise in the finale I would recommend this Book I f you want a top Mystery thriller after all that i will have to say 5 stars
John Bohnert
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying reading these books by David Baldacci.
Tim Smith
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can read my review at http://world-of-sleuths.blogspot.com/....
Beth Sammons
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another balsamic great. Great characters, moving target on who dun it and great surprise ending.
Loretta Gibson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baldacci
It's been a while since I've read Baldacci, I had forgotten how he can tell a story that is utterly compelling, yet it's never to graphically violent or sexually explicit. He has done an amazing job in creating both likable as well as unlikable characters. This is a fast paced thriller filled with intrigue, conspiracy and betrayal. Baldacci is one of my favorite authors.
Ann
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid and entertaining mystery. Complex and interesting characters.
Jerry
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and suspenseful Grishamesque legal thriller!

"Truth" was our first novel by Baldacci, and a pleasant surprise indeed. From first learning that a long-imprisoned military convict is probably innocent of a young girl's murder, to the series of deaths the investigation into these old events precipitates, we can hardly wait to see what will happen next, not to mention "whodunit"! Supreme Court law clerk Michael Fiske gets in over his head when he begins to pursue the truth in the priso
Jesse Whitehead
I usually find mystery/thriller books to be full of flat and unrealistic characters with poorly conceived stories. Realizing that most people who try out science fiction and fantasy -- my usual forte -- have the same complaints about those genres I decided to give a few of the more popular mysteries a try. I picked up a stack of books from a yard sale and started with the first one alphabetically.

This didn't do anything to dissuade from my opinions. The story was filled with useless details, rid
Linda Munro
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I became acquainted with David Baldacci through goodreads.com. I have only read his more recent books, until now. I found this novel at our library’s recent annual book sale.

This novel opens with an Oscar Wilde quote: “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.” This quote is an accurate indication of how this book plays out.

Rufus Harms is in a military prison, where he has spent the last quarter century of his life. Rufus’ brother Josh is about the only person to visit him, and one day he sne
Bruce Perrin
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Simple Truth is anything but simple – in the telling anyway

The Simple Truth is the story of Rufus Harms, who recovers his memory 25 years after being convicted of killing a young girl. That memory, however, proves his innocence, touching off a series of events involving smuggled documents and clandestine meetings, chases and gun battles, tense emotional drama, and yes, more murder.

Balducci does a good job, keeping the tension and suspense high. While those seeking to aid Harms in clearing hi
Jim
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Baldacci is, in my view, on of the finest political-thriller writers today (and darn good apart from genre). His books keep me going much faster than many other enjoyable authors. The Simple Truth is an early work detailing foul deeds at a military prison that led to the death of a young girl and the incarceration of her soldier killer. Except, of course, the situation is not quite as simple as that, which begins to come to light when the prisoner receives a letter from the US Army that tr ...more
Sam
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
This is a really good fast paced thriller packed full of conspiracy and intrigue as Rufus Harms tries to clear his name after spending 25 years behind bars, helped by John Fiske, whose brother got caught in the cross fire when he stumbles across Harms' case. There are lots of twists and turns that keep the story interesting and keep you guessing as to the motives and outcomes and the characters are well written and generally believable, although I still don't get why Harms' waited so long to try ...more
Atishay
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Baldacci is known for his page turning thrillers and un-putdownable fast reads. True. This is another one of them. But, there's a difference. This one is a Powerhouse
Never before since The Day of the Jackal has a thriller so impressed me. Why? Because the character development done is simply superb. The painful past, injuries and feelings portrayed by Baldacci through John Fiske are too spontaneous and human, making his character immediately realizable.
This is one book whose movie adapt
Namita Sreekumar
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Baldacci's style of writing; for the simplicity of the language, especially because it revolves around law and justice. It is fast-paced with a little romance, action and suspense. He is, without doubt, one of the best 'political-thriller' authors I have come across! The Simple Truth is a page turner and a must-read.
Maureen
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was a mystery.
It is very well written and an easy read. It is about a lawyer who sets out to clear a man who was sent to prison for a crime he did not commit. It certainly shows how the judicial system sometimes fails people. People are getting killed because of the research this lawyer is doing to find out the real truth.
Eric
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fourth Baldacci book and least favorite. Slow to develop, didn't really connect with the protagonist(s) and the big reveal at the end was anti-climactic.

Still, I enjoyed the other Baldacci's books that I read enough to compel me to try more.
Bill
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Suspense Fiction Lovers
David Baldacci's "The Simple Truth" was a good read. Good characters, suspense in the Richmond, VA and Washington D.C. area. I took 8th graders to D.C. and toured many of the locations. I recommend the book to suspense fiction lovers, and anyone interested in D.C.
David
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best work. A 3---------.
Peter Jochinger
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining read
Jen
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
This is my favorite Baldacci book.
Sheila
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are already thousands of ratings, so my statement will be short.
I really liked the story, although The Simple Truth took a long confusing trip to getting there.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This was the first Baldacci book I ever read. None of his others have been able to match this one for me.
Susan Grace
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Baldacci is a master storyteller! Always great characters, plenty of action, much intrigue and interesting politics! Clearly, I am a fan! Another great read!
Patricia
Michael Fiske is the current senior law clerk for Associate Justice Murphy of the U.S. Supreme Court. One day, in the mailroom, poring over new appeal submissions for his boss, he picks up a package that weighs far too little for an appeal and has no return address.

Opening it, he finds only two sheets of paper, a badly scrawled letter from a military prisoner by the name of Rufus Harms and a second sheet that is neatly typed, but unsigned. Glancing at the pages, he notices several names that are
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover 3 24 Mar 24, 2016 10:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 14 Mar 13, 2016 07:32PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Elaine's 40 book challenge 3 34 Feb 19, 2016 08:43PM
Amazingly Gripping !!!! 2 26 Oct 02, 2013 01:07AM
  • The First Counsel
  • Word of Honor
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Numbered Account
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Reversible Errors
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Winner by David Baldacci Summary & Study Guide
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Hostage (Kat Bronsky #1)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, because “every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; one year later ...more
More about David Baldacci...
“Small mistakes tend to lead to large ones. Ours is a lifetime appoinment, and all you have is your reputation. Once it's gone, it doesn't comeback.” 91 likes
“Depending on the situation, sometimes you can know a person better in ten minutes than someone you have crossed paths with all your life.” 57 likes