Start by marking “An Evil Spirit Out of the West (Egyptian Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Evil Spirit Out of the West (Egyptian Mysteries, #1)

An Evil Spirit Out of the West

(Egyptian Mysteries #1)

Known as the Veiled One, the ugly and deformed Akenhaten is a shadowy figure. As a child he is overlooked and despised by his own father. As an adult he is thrust into the political limelight when his elder brother dies. Mahu, ambitious and ruthless, watches the young prince carve his own path to power. He becomes Akenhaten's alter ego, his protector and confidant, ...more
Published April 5th 2004 by Headline (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about An Evil Spirit Out of the West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Evil Spirit Out of the West

Start your review of An Evil Spirit Out of the West (Egyptian Mysteries, #1)
Bettie
Opening: I have swallowed their magic.
I call on their spirits.
My thoughts race like chariot teams ready for war,
Hot for the heat of battle.

Revisit:

4* Tutankhamen: Life and death of a Pharoah
2* The Luxor Museum
3* Tutankhamen's Treasure
3* The Black Pharaoh\
3* Nubian Twilight.../ complimentary reading!
4* River God
4* House
Dawn
I rather enjoyed this book. It tells the story of Akenhaten through the eyes of a subordinate and occasional friend.

This is a curious era in Egyptian history and no matter how many stories I read about it, there always seems to be another way to interpret the people and events that is eminently plausible.
Jenks
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was devastated to finish the amertoke series...finding this next short series by the same author made my day.

The same excellent writing , mystery , ancient Egypt what more could you ask for ? Cannot wait to read the second book
Gordon
Jul 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
This book has several things in it that remind me of my childhood. I was always interested in Ancient Egypt and mummification. This book, and I can't really call it a mystery because it is more a revealing memoir of its narrator, does a good job of clarifying the unrest that took place during the brief, chaotic period before, during, and after the reign of Akhenaten, the heretic who brought down the worship of Amen and the ancient gods of Egypt. The central character and narrator is his friend, ...more
Randee
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-egypt, own
Paul Doherty is a well known writer of ancient Egypt. I am a not so well known fan of Akhenaten and read everything I can read about him and and ancient Egypt, in general. It would be fair to accuse me of having a crush on the thousands of years old Pharaoh. I would do him in a hot minute if possible even though he was deformed. Everything from Marfan's Syndrome to Frolich's Syndrom to Loeys-Dietz Syndrome to no malady at all has been tossed about as to what he and his family suffered. His ...more
Jo Burl
Jul 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a tough time sticking with this book. Too much of it is just not right.
Why, for instance, would the pharaoh insist that only mutilated people serve his son? There was no explanation that I caught.
Akhenaten was never called The Veiled One. He was given a name and called by that - it was Amenhotep. He later changed it to Akhenaten.

Also, many wrong things that just wouldn't be in that time. No amethyst, rubies, etc at that time. Also, silver was less common than gold, so you wouldn't
Rozonda
Like many people, I'm fascinated with Akhenaton and Nefertiti and have read heaps of novels about them. Nearly all of them portray them as illuminated saints or religious fanatics. Doherty, very intelligently, depicts a shadowy portrait of both characters through the eyes of their police chief, Mahu, and lets the reader decide (he even hints at the Jesus/Akehnaton parallelism so often established) A good mystery novel with an original historical point of view.
Josephine (Jo)
Finished 27th February 2009

Very good. I like this particular time in Egyptian history and a lot of the information can be verified from information on the wall of one of the tombs in Egypt and also in a diary written at the time, so with a little padding to make the story more "human", it is a very good read
Lisa
I got to one page into the second chapter and had to stop. I don't typically abandon books, but in the end, I wanted to finish the book as quickly as possible without actually having to read it. Naturally, that's a red flag when it comes to me finishing the book.

This is a rather over-the-top and, yes, inaccurate, version of Ancient Egypt during the reigns of Amunhotep III and Akhenaten. There's no heart, no entertainment. It's a melting pot of all the typical Amarna tropes and clichés that
Judith Ray
Not half as exciting as the synopsis suggests. It's not so much a mystery novel as it is a fictional memoir, or rather a confession. A dry one at that. The vivid descriptions of places, garments and food do not make up for the lack of character development, including that of the protagonist himself. Still a somewhat entertaining read, if only out of curiosity to see how the author tackles the many unanswered questions about Akhenaten's reign.
Andy Casey
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy's review

Downloaded this as I remember getting this novel from my local library years ago, and I'm glad I did - it's got more twists than a slithering snake! Can't wait to read the next one in the trilogy!!
Lee Jackson Coffey
Painfull sense :

Strong characterization appeals to me. Carefully thought out meaning to actuall history. I like this,I almost wish I did not,as great ugliness is chronicaled.
Samantha Rooney
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An insider's look at the rise and fall of the so called heretic pharoah Akenhaten, and the circumstances of Tutankhamun's rule and the ending of the eighteenth, and most powerful, dynasty of egyptian pharoahs.
Didargamze
Aug 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ı thought i can learn some usefull about Egypt before i started the book. But i don't find so interesting it. it tell a pharaoh's son who want to new pharaoh and his servant who is name Mahu.
Andy
Nov 04, 2015
John Allen
Jan 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Didn't Get Frazzled
  • The Second Sleep
  • The Labyrinth of Osiris (Yusuf Khalifa #3)
  • Pharaoh (Ancient Egypt, #6)
  • A Relic of Saint Cedd
  • Nottingham
  • Stalking Ground (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #2)
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • The Book of Shadows (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #4)
  • Dark Entry (Kit Marlowe, #1)
  • Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery, #3)
  • Silent Court (Kit Marlowe, #2)
  • And the Widow Wore Scarlet (Scandalous Sons Book 1)
  • Star Man's Son, 2250 A.D
  • Jane and the Bow Street Runner (Bow Street Consultant #2)
  • No Night Without Stars

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had

Egyptian Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Season of the Hyaena (Egyptian Mysteries, #2)
  • The Year of the Cobra (Egyptian Mysteries, #3)