Start by marking “The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  5,764 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
At last, America’s Master Storyteller joins the ranks of Delphi Classics’ scholarly collections. This is the COMPLETE WORKS of the great literary giant Edgar Allan Poe. Why buy any other Kindle version, which will have texts missing? This is the only eBook available with every tale - even the very rare ones - poem, essay, letter and much, much more! Now you can truly own P ...more
Published August 3rd 2010 by CreateSpace (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

Brian
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I've read too much Poe in too short a period of time when words like adduce and avidity have crept into my everyday conversation. At a Holiday party this week I actually said "That is a capital cheese" and couldn't understand why strangers looked at me funny. Reader beware, a Poe=lit infection is virulent.

If you've spent any amount of time with Poe you'll agree with me that he composes sentences with such a solid structure that if you were to diagram one of them with pointy sticks instead
notgettingenough
My goodness the man's so modern, the following is written in 1836, but what could be more apposite for the Internet Age and the age of Self-Publishing and the age of Academia's Publish or Perish.

Edgar Allan Poe was an early employee of the “Southern Literary Messenger” of Richmond, Virginia. In 1836 he wrote a review of a legal tome titled “Reports of Cases Decided in the High Court of Chancery of Maryland”, and his first sentence provided a harsh assessment:

We cannot perceive any sufficient re
Suvi
Me and Edgar first encountered each other in seventh grade, when I was 13. I think it was love at first sight when we read one of the short story collections. Not only they were morbid and depicted the horrible nature of evil I thought he himself was like one of his tragic characters. This edition was a great chance to finish the rest that I hadn't come across. Illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley, Harry Clarke etc.
Rachel Marie
Well fuck. How do i describe Edgar Allen Poe? Guess i really cant. What i CAN say, however, is how amazing he is. His stories are corrupt, depressing, haunting, chilling, goddamn terrifying, and downright inhumane.

AWESOME, RIGHT?!?

If you don't have the time to get off ya bum and read the entire collection, at LEAST read the following:

The Murders at Rue Morgue
The Pit and the Pendulum
Cask of Amontillado
The Telltale Heart
The Raven
Katy
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Edgar Allan Poe is a mixed bag for me. The stories and poems that I like, I like very, very much; but there are others that are just yawnfests. Still, this is the definitive collection for all Poe fans, so be sure to check it out.
Larry
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of gothic horror,antiquarian and good writing!
Interestingly I have this book although mine is called The Penguin Tales and Poems,published by Bloomsbury Books. I entered my ISBN and got this edition, oh well…
Anyway I've only read a few stories so far but what I've read I've enjoyed. Not everyone will want all the poems or non-horror tales like Von Kempelen and His Discovery which is rather long winded and tedious but on the whole, great stuff! Pit and the Pendulumn, The Raven, Leonore and The Tell-tale Heart are superb pieces!
Katya Mills
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Edgar Allen Poe lived a difficult life, and his suffering informs the darkness of his work. As an author, I believe suffering informs my work. This is not to say you have to suffer to write well. Or that you should look to suffer. We all suffer in our own personal journeys through life, suffering is inevitable. Heartbreak. Fear. Terrifying moments, sometimes. Edgar Allen Poe's writing inspires me like no other. Very concrete. I care about the narrator. I can feel the horror, I am walking beside ...more
Siobhan
Dec 11, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I know it's taking me an extremely long time to read this; it's because I'm reading the odd one here and there instead of working my way through them all at once.

It will probably take me a couple of years doing it this way, but I am determined to read all of Poe at some point.

***

Ratings of what I've read thus far:
A Tale of Jerusalem: Two stars.
The Philosophy of Furniture: Two stars.
The Sphinx: Two stars.
kenzie
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poe is a brilliant poet, although some of his short stories and poems are quite morbid. They're very interesting, and well written. I really wish that he hadn't died so early in his life, because his poetry was a burst of creative genius.
McKenzie Chatterton
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Classic. Subtle, haunting and absolutely beautiful. The creative mind this man had is absolutely incredible and I enjoy reading his works over and over. You get something new out of each of his poems and stories each time you read them. I highly recommend everyone reads at least his well known works, especially fans of the macabre and darker themes.
Michael Jose
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent formatting book with excellently editing. Genuine must read this book.
Terrance Zepke
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Edgar Allen Poe is definitely the 1800s version of Stephen King. What a dark mind! But what great stories comes from it! I'm not into poetry so didn't read much of that section but like his most famous one, The Raven. I read most of the stories. Some are short and some are quite long. Here are favorites: The Oval Portrait, The Oblong Box, The Gold Bug, The Lighthouse, The Masque of the Red Death and The Murders in the Rue Morgue. But be warned! This is a complete collection--everything Poe ever ...more
Isabelle
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After almost a year, I am so happy to say that I finally finished this book! Of course, the poetry and short stories were pure genius awesomeness, but the critics and letters were hell, and I admit I skipped a lot. Still, I think this edition was really good, with almost no typos at all, which is a rarity for that kind of cheap e-books. Because of the price, because it is so complete, and because I feel like one needs an anthology of Poe's work in their book collection, I would totally recommend ...more
Nicky
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started reading Edgar Allen Poe, aged 17, in a rowing boat. No joke. I had a summer job at a vast inland boating lake, and I'd row out to an island and sit there reading EAP. My brother had given me a tiny volume. It seemed a million miles away from my provincial existence, and, of course - it is. Dupin, and all his work, are classics. Prior to this I think I'd read a fair bit of Conan Doyle too, but I digress. I don't see how you could give EAP anything less than 5 stars.
Greg Kerestan
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was Poe a master of his craft? At his best moments, this is an undeniable fact... But at his worst, and he was at his worst often, he comes across as a bit of a hack. Few beloved writers in the literary canon are as inconsistent as Poe, with dizzying highs and embarrassing lows. Anyone other than scholars and completists will be best served with a collection of Poe's best stories and poems, but there's much more here; some good, some just pathetic.
Aldo
Apr 16, 2012 added it
to read his works now as an adult, sheds new light on his genius. to see such a tormented soul lament his lost love, life and talent. the epitome of not appreciated talent. we will never have another, like him.
Jaime Pineda
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ap-english
Main character: none available
Theme: this book is so emo, usually love or loneliness and pain and darkness and suffering and swag money
M.W. Kohn
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, Poe is my bible. I've got a leather bound huge edition.
David Crisman
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Horror that no longer seems horrific by today's standards.
n. sadel
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."
— John Milton, Paradise Lost.

The poem "For Annie" is about a laudanum addict who, once again, obtains his heavenly vision (Annie). It is written in the present tense. The addict is thinking. He is not speaking to anyone.

The poem begins with the narrator already having ingested the laudanum. This can be understood by moving the sixth stanza to the beginning: "oh! of all tortures that torture the worst has abat
Reginald Span
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome way to question one's sanity
Tess van Brummelen
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waarom-other
POEMS
"Astarte's bediamonded crescent
Distinct with its duplicate horn
And I said: 'She is warmer than Dian:
She rolls through and ether of sighs--
She revels in a region of sighs:

She has seen that the tears are not dry on
These cheeks, where the worm never dies,
And has come past the stars of the Lion
To point us the path to the skies--
To the Lethean peace of the skies--
Come up, in despite of the Lion
To shine on us with her bright eyes--
Come up through the lair of the Lion,
With love in her luminous eye
Sunny Cherry
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, you need a really focus mind and a full attention to read (and understand) his stories, lol. But despite of the hardy understanding of his stories (it's common for a very classic stories like this, tho), I love all the horror, mysterious, and intriguing theme that he built here. However, 5 stars should be given since this was the topic of my thesis which has made me graduated. Yeay! xD
Megan McFarlane
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this in 7th grade because I am a sicko. But I feel like if my 12 year old self liked this enough to read the whole thing it deserves 5 stars. Although I might have picked it to help accumulate credit toward some Six-Flags sponsored reading challenge so that I could score some free theme park tix.
Fred Fanning
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good book that includes some of Poe's works that I had read before and some new ones I had not. The stories are interesting and written in literary fiction. In many, the descriptions are verbose and complicated. If you like those kinds of stories this is the book for you.
Mont
Poetry: Famous for hypnotic sound effects in his poetry, Poe marshals internal rhyme, onomatopoeia, assonance, and consonance to great effect. The feeling is eerie, unsettling, and melancholy--more, evermore, nothing more, nevermore.

Gürcan Tutar
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a child, she was a child in this kingdom by the sea.
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with any 'complete' collection, there are some works which stand out from the others. Regardless, Poe wrote some stunning tales and poems which are found within.
James Juma
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Master story teller!
classic reverie
I find this Delphi collection so far with few errors but I have only read several stories and will read them in time hopefully. Reviews for certain stories are placed there.
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
  • Unacknowledged Legislation: Writers in the Public Sphere
  • Zwarte Sylvester
  • Een uur en achttien minuten
  • Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Forms of Heaven: Three Plays by Clive Barker
  • Poetical Works: Tennyson
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
“I intend to put up with nothing that I can put down."

[Letter to J. Beauchamp Jones, August 8, 1839]”
391 likes