Start by marking “Grammar-Land: Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-shire” as Want to Read:
Grammar-Land: Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-shire

Grammar-Land: Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-shire

Before the days of Schoolhouse Rock’s jingles like “Conjunction Junction,” and silly English class acronyms like the “Fan Boys,” there was the playful primer Grammar-Land, which has been teaching children (and adults in need of a refresher) the basic rules of English grammar since its first publication in the 1870s.

In the allegorical world of Grammar-Land, the
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 124 pages
Published September 30th 2010 by British Library (first published 1878)

To ask other readers questions about Grammar-Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar-Land

Rebekah
Jun 14, 2014 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call me a nerd but I loved this book! What a creative way to explain grammar. I loved the quirky characters and the courtroom drama. ;)
Rebecca Reid

Grammar has a reputation of being dull and dry, but a turn-of-the-century classic, Grammar-Land by M.L. Nesbitt (first published 1878), attempts to make it fun by turning learning the parts of speech into a game.

In the imaginary world of Grammar-Land, the parts of speech have been arguing about which of them is most important. They must come before Judge Grammar and explain themselves. The book is written with the “children of Schoolroom-shire” as the intended audience, and as each part of speec
Lindita
Jun 05, 2011 Lindita rated it really liked it
i stumbled upon this book at a local bookstore and decided that it was time for a grammar refresher story. i felt like a witness sitting through the courtroom drama as Judge Grammar called upon the nine parts of speech into court who were contesting for ownership of words.

it's a quirky story that re-introduces the rules of grammar in an amusing and entertaining manner.

Jean
Apr 17, 2012 Jean rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy the laws of Grammar, you will love this book. Written back in the 1870's, it is a humorous story that takes place in the courthouse in Schoolroom-shire where Judge Grammar's laws rule over his 9 subjects - or 9 Parts-of-Speech. Judge Grammar had given words to all his subjects and let them have them for their very own as long as they obeyed the rules. There is rich Mr. Noun, his useful friend Mr. Pronoun, little Article, busy Dr. Verb, talkative Mr. Adjective, Adverb, perky Preposit ...more
Elaine
Oct 03, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
This is fun way to learn grammar...each part of speech is a 'character' at court in a kingdom, arguing about how they are used and which words belong to them. It's pretty old though, as it even includes 'thou' and 'thee' in the pronouns! But we enjoyed using this to learn about the parts of speech. It did get a little confusing for the kids when we got to the 'nominative case' and the 'objective case', but overall, it covered a great deal of grammar.
Alfreda Morrissey
Dec 13, 2016 Alfreda Morrissey rated it liked it
My 10 year old liked it. My 8-year-old found it very boring. She detected the lesson in there a mile away. She hates it when we try to sneak learning into her relaxation time.

I found it quite cute and I actually learned a few things. It made me think about language in ways I had not used in quite a while.
Holly Rayl
I expected something similar to Alice but was unfortunately disappointed. Kind of a cute way to teach basic grammar to elementary-aged children, though dated enough that I wouldn't want to use the original.
K. C. Smith
Grammar-Land was good, but it did not really broaden my knowledge of grammar in any way. Also, I'm not sure if the personification of the Parts of Speech was entirely accurate. Parts of speech are not physical entities.
Daisy Paquet
Feb 02, 2017 Daisy Paquet rated it it was amazing
This book- it was- I mean- all the...
It's pretty much if the parts of speech were people.
Nancy Walters
Feb 01, 2016 Nancy Walters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Fun way to see how the different parts of speech relate, read it with my son, he liked it as well.
Tanner Potter
Oct 08, 2016 Tanner Potter rated it really liked it
Clever little story for learning grammar.
Marni
Jun 29, 2012 Marni marked it as to-read
Shelves: writing
Recommended by RaNae - it's in the public domain.
Eliyahu (Marc)
Apr 06, 2014 Eliyahu (Marc) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-grammar
Indeed the best book ever. Forget about a book for kids. This is awesome for adults. If u need to get grammar in the most fun way ever & never forget it. This is it.
Linda Learn
Linda Learn rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2017
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Byron Woolley
Byron Woolley rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Angela Cushman
Angela Cushman rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2016
Donna Anoskey
Donna Anoskey rated it really liked it
May 03, 2017
Silvia
Silvia rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Dimpy
Dimpy rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2010
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Lee Huntington
Lee Huntington rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2014
Hannahlei
Hannahlei rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2017
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Tiffany Bolinskey
Tiffany Bolinskey rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Chloe McHaney
Chloe McHaney rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Red
Red rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
author of several books for children, such as "Harold's Choice; Or, Boyhood's Aims and Manhood's Work" and "Charlie's Choice."
More about M.L. Nesbitt...