Start by marking “Paradise” as Want to Read:
Paradise

Paradise

Paisley Tillery is the drummer for a country rock band. If they can make it to the stage at the Texapalooza music fest, then Paisley will be closer to her dream of a career in music and a ticket out of her small Texas town.

Drumming and music are what Paisley has always wanted. Until the band gets a new lead singer, the boy from Paradise, Texas. With Paradise in her life, w
Published July 5th 2011 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise

Jasprit
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Covers can be so deceiving at times; in the last few weeks I have come across several gorgeous covers, but the story hasn’t been worthwhile at all. I had my doubts when picking up Paradise, thinking it may be some light easy going read full with sexual banter, but the saying never judge a book by its cover could never have been more true than for this book.

Paisley has wanted to be a drummer for as long as she can remember, she’s always busting out beats on anything her hands can find, always car
Annette
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’ve heard a lot of rocking things about this book and LOTS of complaints about the ending, which I think sort of made the book. The ending made the book's message stronger and I liked it; I realise I am in the minority however.

A lot of people have raved about the romance aspect of this book, but I think the characterisations were the strongest part of this book. I loved the little details that made up each individual; Paisley’s family were so clearly depicted in my mind that I could imagine the
Donna
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars

Paradise has been sitting on my shelf for a while so; I thought I’d include it in my TBR Reading Challenge so I could finally read it. I hadn’t really looked at any other people’s reviews beforehand, but I really wish I had. I believe Paradise is going to be book that you either like or dislike and honestly – I really disliked it.

The story is based in Texas, where Paisley will do anything to try and become a star drummer. She’s joined a band made up of some guys from her school – howev
Jess (Gone with the Words)
Read my review here! --> http://www.gonewiththewords.com/2011/05/review-paradise-by-jill-s-alexander.html

Paradise had me completely engrossed from the start. It actually reminded me a lot of the movie Whip It , except, swap the skating with drumming and the roller derby with playing at Texapolooza. Paisley’s parents really reminded me of the parents in that movie. Paisley’s mom wants her to have opportunities that stretch beyond their small town. Her dad supports this idea, if not a little m
Missie
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, ya
I wish I had better things to say about Paradise, but unfortunately, I don't. I really just didn't see much point in the story.

The Waylon Slider band is in desperate search of a new lead singer. Believing that playing at Texapalooza is their ticket to making a name for themselves and finally getting the recognition they deserve, they're all to eager to accept Gabe, from Paradise, TX, as their new vocalist. Thing is, Gabe comes with a smoking hot squeezebox, and he ain't about to give it up.

Paisl
Kristi
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This was my first time reading a book by Alexander and I assure you it will not be the last!

First off... is that cover not HOT! Whew... somebody turn down the smolder! I was a little unsure about the cover while reading the story because... well I was wondering if it had any relevance BUT after reading about Paisley & Paradise's relationship, it couldn't be more accurate. So. Close.

This was definitely a character driven novel, I loved them... all of them. Paisley's sister, the members of th
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of country music
This is not just a book about music. It is also about standing up for yourself and going for your dreams. It had a bitter-sweet ending but that only made me love this book even more. Why did it took me so long to finish it? I have no idea because once I dived into the story I couldn't put it down.
Joy (joyous reads)
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I promised myself that when I eventually got up the nerve to start up a book blog, I would not resort to adding graphics and or videos to express how a book affected me. Good or bad, I’d rather articulate it into words. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with adding graphics, it’s just my preference. But let me tell you, I was so tempted to do that here.

This book had me by the throat from page one. Engrossing characters with equally absorbing plot lines made it difficult to put it down. I found m
BOOK BUTTERFLY
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Paradise is the story of a small-town country rock band. It conjures up images of pasture parties, country-fried cooking, sweet summer nights and Southern romance. For Paisley, the band's drummer, Texaspalooza could be just what she's been waiting for- a one way ticket to country super stardom. But when she develops a romance with the group's fiery lead singer, Paisley must decide if what she wants is really what she needs.

Okay, I must admit, I was a little worried about taking on a book like th
Jacinda
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Awhile back, I saw some early buzz about Paradise on Twitter, in reviews, and such. The talk was mainly about the ending. I had to read Paradise for the book itself (of course) and to see what happens at the end. Oh yeah, and for the cowboys! Who doesn’t love a hunky cowboy…or a whole story full of ‘em?

Jill S. Alexander can tell herself a story! I’m not a music fan myself, which I speak of all the time, but I was really engrossed in this story which is based on Paisley, Paradise (a gorgeous boy)
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
This book was going to be a strong 4 for me, but then the last 15 pages just ruined it. I really, really wanted to give it 4 stars, but I just couldn't. Still a very well written novel, just unsure of that ending.
Ashley
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy, signed, own, blog
Originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

Paradise by Jill Alexander is a book I'm really torn on. I've had a hard time deciding how I felt about this book overall because I felt so different when I finished from when I started. I asked on Twitter if my review could just be- "I loved this book. Until the end. When I didn't..."- I know it's not really enough to be a review on it's own, but it actually sums up how I felt about this book quite nicely. So, I'm saying it.
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Why it took me so long to read this book I have no idea. I remember when it came out I was dying to get my hands on it. I even went to Borders(may they rest in peace) to buy a copy and they didn't have it. Between then and now more books just got in the way so it took way too long for me to actually get to this. With that said I'm so happy I finally made the time and read it. Paradise was just a great book with a strong story. It was straightforward and honest and had a twist that really shook m ...more
Kelsey
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, arcs
I was completely taken by Jill S. Alexander's sophomore novel. With likable characters, a charming setting, and an inspiring plot I was soon caught up in Paisley's story. All Paisley has ever wanted to do was live her dream- play the drums. And by being the drummer of the Waylon Slider Band, which is well on its way to being in the Texapalooza, she will be that much closer to escaping her little town. Until Paradise shows up, with his sexy hat, sweet singing voice, and charming smile, Paisley su ...more
Sara Grochowski
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
It isn't easy for me to coherently explain my feelings about Jill S. Alexander's sophomore novel, PARADISE. I really enjoyed Alexander's first novel, THE SWEETHEART OF PROSPER COUNTY, but I wasn't at all prepared for how much I would adore PARADISE. Not only does PARADISE feature a fantastic plot and engaging setting, the characters are phenomenal.

The main character, Paisley, caught me off guard... The name Paisley seemed a bit pink to me. I literally pictured a pink paisley pattern when I firs
Kelly
I've read this story before, and I found myself not caring about the characters in this one, unfortunately. The writing felt like it tried a little too hard to be edgy when I think the story at hand lent itself to that.
Allison Brunskill
The unthinkable happened, I read a book about country music that I didn't like. Apparently even I have some standards.
Libby
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Jacqueline
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
1/5 stars

Not the book for me. The characters annoyed me, the plot was boring, and the ending left me completely unsatisfied. Personally would not recommend this book!
Grace
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Review Posted @ She Reads Things

First off, I really think a different cover would have been better. I suppose there's romance in this book, but the main theme is music. Obviously there's the romantic subject of Paradise, whose real name is Gabriela (which to be honest, I found kind of funny, oops), but it's not the main thing.

So, onto the actual book. I had been looking forward to reading this book for awhile because what's not to look forward to? Strong
Estelle
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

I’m pretty much convinced that in some past life I was in love with a cowboy.

Because I find them so attractive. (Like, I may drool a little bit.) And I’m from New Jersey! There are no cowboys in Jersey, friends. (In case, you didn’t know.) And the only one I know if in New York is the Naked Cowboy and he just does not do it for me. But oh gosh, when they can sing. I’m a goner.

Paradise (real name: Gabriela) embodies the spirit of country music and
Sarah Gonzalez
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Well, let me just start off by saying, I really, really, wanted to love Paradise. The description made it sound like something that would be right up my alley – a music obsessed, strong willed teenage girl pursuing her dreams to make it big. Plus, it had a cowboy. Sounds great, right? If only.

First of all, Paisley didn’t exactly jump off the page for me. I loved the setting of the book (rural Texas) and I enjoyed the idea of the characters, but I struggled to connect with them – especially Pais
Jennifer Hammons
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

The book Paradise by Jill S. Alexander is a drama filled story that brings you in and doesn’t let you go. The book is about a drummer named Paisley Tillery. She is the drummer for a country rock band. They want to make it on stage at the Texapalooza music fest. Paisley’s dream has always been to make a career out of her music and buy a one way ticket out of her small town in Texas. The band gets a new lead singer from Paradise, Texas. Paisley’s dreams then become cloudy because this new guy in h
Jen
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet, coming of age story about Paisley, a girl drummer in the Waylon Slider Band, an otherwise all boy southern rock band from Texas. All Paisley's ever wanted to do is to play the drums and get out of her small town. She and her band mates have one shot to make it at Texapalooza in Austin but there's just one problem...they don't have a lead singer. Well, that and Paisley can't let her mother know she's the band's drummer.

To say that Paisley's mom is a control freak is an understat
Amanda
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jill Alexander completely blew me out of the water with Paradise. Was expecting your typical quick, fun summer read. Something I could read in a day, be satisfied with, and not dwell over for long. However, that is not something that happened. Yes, Paradise started out as a cute summer romance with the mysterious and insanely attractive newcomer and the girl with a secret dream, but then it changed into something more. Paradise centers around Paisley, a girl who secretly wants to be a musician. ...more
Nath
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carla ♥
WHAT WAS THAT??? OMG! THE ENDING!
I CAN'T EVEN! WHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT????

i'm crying so much right now, i don't understand what's happening???
i thought everything's gonna be alright ..
i have my hopes high that before the ending, Paradise will show up and he's alive after all ..

but ACKNOWLEDGEMENT came, and then nothing ..
my hopes were crushed .. and i just can't do anything but cry ..
gosh! :(

description
description

---------------------------
on the other side, this book is super sa-woooooooon!!
made me swoon all the time .
Eilonwy
I have mixed feelings about this book. Overall, I liked it very much. The writing is beautiful, with a strong Texas accent and a strong voice for Paisley, and set a vivid mood throughout the story. The narrative really pulled me in, and the balance between Paisley's dedication to her band and her devotion to her family, crazy though her mother might be, was very well done. Paisley's relationship with her sister was sweet and realistic; her parents' love for each other despite how they ended up t ...more
Britta
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it

Before I start, let me just say that I am definitely a country girl at heart. The fact that I live in the northeast has no effect on me dreaming about cowboys and listening to country music exclusively. So a book about a country band was basically made for me. Especially one that has a boy with a mighty fine profile (I mean tell me he doesn't look gorgeous from the side!) Bias aside, this was a unique and fun read.

Paisley has always known that she wants to be a drummer, and she's on her way to m
Rachael
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Paisley is the drummer in a country rock band with one dream: escaping from her tiny Texas hometown. If her band could just get it together and find a decent lead singer, then they could have a shot at the stage at Texapalooza. If they can make it there, then Paisley has a better chance of getting noticed. And Paisley is sure that getting noticed for her skill on the drums will be her ticket to freedom. But all that gets jeopardized when the guy from Paradise, Texas shows up. He’s got enough tal ...more
  • Wonderland
  • Notes from the Blender
  • Wherever You Go
  • The Ocean
  • Other Words for Love
An interest in novels came late for me in my rural East Texas hometown. With no public library and few books, save one full set of encyclopedias, I learned poetry from church hymnals and storytelling from eccentric relatives. Captivated by country music's story-songs coming across my grandfather's AM radio after the morning farm report, I began writing out the lyrics and creating my own as early a ...more
“In his arms, I slowly unfolded like a love note read in secret.” 36 likes