Start by marking “Johnny Cornflakes: A Story about Loving the Unloved” as Want to Read:
Johnny Cornflakes: A Story about Loving the Unloved

Johnny Cornflakes: A Story about Loving the Unloved

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The heart-warming tale of Johnny Cornflakes is based on a true story, presented in vivid detail by master storyteller Denise George. The narrative offers hope even in difficult places, challenges our attitudes toward others and shows how God can work in the most unexpected ways through the most unlikely, unloved people.
Published March 20th 2010 by Christian Focus Publications (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Johnny Cornflakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Johnny Cornflakes

Lori Henrich
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise shares the story of how a man named Johnny Cornflakes helped her to see the least of these in a way she never expected. When her husband moves her to Chelsea she hates it and doesn't even want to try and make a go of it. She sets her feet firm and doesn't want to give an inch until a homeless man shows her a true act of loving sacrifice.

A wonderful story of how you can make a difference in small ways that can have an everlasting effect that you may not even know about. Giving from the he
Misti
Admittedly, this was not well written but I appreciated the story of how a southern pastor's wife learned to love 'the least of these' in the rough inner city of Chelsea, outside of Boston.

A quick and short read easily digested in a setting or two.
Joy Rayle
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awareness revisited, there is some of each one of us in this book.

A startlingly realistic look at how we humans conduct ourselves in situations we conclude we are above. We are all exposed in one aspect of another. Well written, well received and well worth reading. Thank you Denise.
Greg
Johnny Cornflakes is a heartwarming and inspirational autobiographical tale of the author's first foray into ministerial life and the trials and growth it brought to her. It is often a little awkward in writing style, unpolished, but it wasn't enough to be annoying to me...it simply added a bit to its charm, knowing that the author was simply telling her real-life story from her heart, and not as a professional writer.

Johnny Cornflakes is the street name of a homeless man who is the focal point
Angel **Book Junkie**
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not one who gives many 5 stars but, let me tell you why I gave this one: Pure feelings of realness. I felt that the characters were not fake and that every state has an area just like this one. I was amazed at how much I liked this book and I have to tell you that God does give strength in situations just as this book shows. I do not feel that the Christianity took from the story it was not a story to preach to you but, a story to show how god's will will help you see the good in all. I lov ...more
Gail
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The author is Denise George, wife of Timothy George who is dean of Beeson Divinity School. I believe Trent and Don met him when they visited there! This is a true story of when the couple moved to an inner city area of Boston for school/work & the people they encountered ministering there. Homeless man Johnny Cornflakes changes the author in how she views these unloved people. I think it also speaks a lot about investing in other's lives, how it changes them eternally and yourself along the ...more
Janna
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I truly loved this story of loving "the least of these." I would have to disagree with the title, though, as it's less a story about Johnny and more a story of changed lives.

My favorite character had to be Mrs Bena with her kitchen window sills lined with vanilla and plentiful cookies. What a picture of loving the unlovely!

The town and the people and the need made me think. How much do I show love and grace to "the least of these?" Something we would all do well to ponder.
Taryn
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting much from this story, to be honest. But it was available for free and I like to keep a stash of Christian books on my Kindle for the odd times I do get to read. This story surprised me. It couldn't have tied together more perfectly if it were fiction. The real-life heart changes that take place are inspirational. What a picture of Christ and his people!
I was moves to tears. Wow. Thank you to Mrs George for writing this truly beautiful picture of redemption.
MaryBeth Hagan
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

This was a sweet book of a young pastor's wife who learned about "the least of these" through her time in the city ghettos near Boston. It does leave us with some unanswered questions. This book made some great points about giving of ourselves and how that makes us ourselves better. Inspiring!
Maryann Winship
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was based in Chelsea, Massachusetts and I think it was during the 70s. Therefore, I was familiar with some of the things in the book since I live in MA. It was definitely and inspirational book. It had a lot of love in it and I definitely learned values from it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Grace Outpouring: Blessing Others through Prayer
  • Signs and Wonders
  • How to Memorize Bible Verses: The Fast and Easy Way to Memorizing Scripture
  • Desires of My Heart - Meditation on Psalm 37:4
  • An Expose on Teen Sex and Dating: What's Really Going On and How to Talk About It
  • The Quilt
  • Beautiful Battlefields
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • Miracles Are for Real: What Happens When Heaven Touches Earth
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • Rescue the Captors (Rescue the Captors #1)
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Until Forever
  • God's Grammar: A Novel
  • Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)
  • Under the SS Shadow
  • Honestly: My Life and Stryper Revealed
Denise George is an internationally popular writer and speaker best known for creative Biblical application. Denise is married to Dr. Timothy George, executive editor of Christianity Today and founding Dean of Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama.
More about Denise George...