Start by marking “Murder on the Potomac (Capital Crimes, #12)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Potomac (Capital Crimes, #12)

Murder on the Potomac

(Capital Crimes #12)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  656 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
NATIONAL BESTSELLER
MARGARET TRUMAN
Bestselling author of MURDER AT THE PENTAGON

MURDER ON THE POTOMAC

"A first-rate mystery writer."
--Los Angeles Times Book Review
First time in paperback!
"Harry's daughter knows her milieu; better still, she knows how to portray it convincingly."
--The San Diego Union
Law professor Mac has unflagging passion for two things in his life: his wife
Published March 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Potomac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on the Potomac

James Kuiken
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
"Dallas" in DC

If you're a fan of murder mysteries, this could well be entertaining. Having worked in DC for over a decade, it was very interesting for me to see all the local landmarks and hangouts - but from a very different perspective. The perspective is very slightly left of center, and is very much from an elite strata of society, not at all the mundane view of average or even moderately upper level Washingtonians.

It could very well appeal to those who loved to watch Dallas. The plot was sl
Denise Spicer
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This MacKensie Smith mystery has another of Truman’s D. C. settings with upper crust arts and politics as “main characters” along with Professor Smith, his wife Annabelle, P.I. Tony Buffolino, and gorgeous MPD Detective Darcy Eikenberg (who has a big crush on Smith). The story includes the author’s usual insider comments and D.C. scenery and ambience. This 1994 book shows both its age and agelessness – the P.C. stuff was already running amok. With the author both commenting derogatorily upon it, ...more
Kay
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was okay but not up to her usual mysteries. Again I couldn't guess the murderer but that happens frequently with her books.
Argum
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Series is growing on me because I like the continuity of Mac and Annabel. In this one, a high roller friend of Mac's has invited Annabel to join the board of the museum of which he is the chair. Then his personal assistant is murdered and more skeletons topple out of the closet. Mac gets drawn in as does Annabel. Didn't especially like the police or the personal stuff in this one, but good story.
Judith
I've really enjoyed reading Margaret Truman's murder/mystery series - she's a first rate writer and knows DC like the back of her hand. I especially enjoyed the books with Mac and Annabel Smith, ex-lawyers who find themselves involved in helping to solve a myriad of murders in the DC area.
AnnieM
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked it more than the first one I tried, but it's not my favorite. Decent mystery, but a bit long winded in parts. Perhaps because it's earlier in the series I preferred it a bit more because I'm not required to figure as much out.
Joanne Timm
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
OLDY BUT GOODY.
Lynn Atchley
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy

Truman is always a fun read. Characters are mostly believable and the story keeps a good pace. I would recommend
Judy Parker Cohen
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good book
Sally Andrews
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Margaret Truman's DC mysteries make me want to visit again! Always good.
ElaineY
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; MAY 4, 2018
Narrator: Richard Poe

I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting as I saw this author's books never quite make it to the 4.0 on Goodreads' ratings. I gave this 4 stars easily because I found the pacing fast and my interest never flagged. There were several suspects and the resolution was not as easy and clear-cut as I had initially thought it would be.

When I started the book, I had no idea what format this series took - whether there was one main protagonist, w
Ellen Moore
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very good mystery, again featuring Mac Smith and his wife Annabel. A prominent, well-to-do family in Washington, DC, is under suspicion following the murder of the man's female business associate. Mac and his private investigator of choice, Tony Buffolino, become involved in the case, which is being investigated by an attractive female police detective who was a former law student of Mac's and who has obvious romantic designs on Mac despite his being married. There are several organiz ...more
Phillis
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok , finished, not who I thought the killer was. That's good. Makes for a good story not to figure out who done it too soon. Book 12 of the Capitol Crimes series. We are now into the early 90s. Mac Smith is giving some advice to a friend who's assistant was murdered. Everyone thinks he killed her because they were having an affair. Typical rich family on the hill, kids are spoiled rotten and have no compassion for anyone else in the family, wife is long-suffering because husband has had some aff ...more
Annette
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
A mystery that my mom lent me - one of those books that if I could, would rate it 2.5 - it was a fast read, lots of characters who could have done it regarding the "who dun it" but because it was book 12 out of 20+ in a series, I felt like the author thought you should already know some of the main characters feelings - my fault, not her though (if you read a series, you don't want to get bogged down each time being reintroduced to the main characters).

I did like the placement though - takes pla
Trudy
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it
My first Margaret Truman mystery. I like the main characters well enough. Mac's love for Annabel is a bit sickening, maybe because I don't know them well enough, as this is the twelfth book in the series. Perhaps their relationship has been more deeply fleshed out in the earlier books, so Truman doesn't need to go into why he loves her so much at this juncture. I enjoyed DC as a character, and made notes about some of the restaurants Mac frequented to see if they're real, and if not, what they a ...more
Kara
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I grabbed this because I needed an audio book for my car. I didn't realize that this was in the middle of a series.

Usually when I grab a book in the middle of a series I am really intrigued by the characters. Book series are generally really good a developing interesting and charismatic characters. However, in this book the characters felt very flat to me. The only reason that I can think of is that the author told and didn't show. Mac is a handsome, brilliant lawyer in DC. But the story didn't
Marcella
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely not my favorite of this series, although still very interesting as a visit to Washington DC and it's inner lifestyle. Mac and Annabel continue their solving of murders especially when friends are involved either as victims or accused but, this time there other outside influences that bothered throughout the story line. I am a fan of the "happily ever after" especially when one of my favorite fiction marriage is concerned. I would still recommend this book as it continues the story lin ...more
Chantel
Descript 8 sound discs (ca. 9 hrs.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
Subject Smith, Mac (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Smith, Annabel (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Law teachers -- Washington (D.C.) -- Fiction.
Women art dealers -- Washington (D.C.) -- Fiction.
Washington (D.C.) -- Fiction.
Audiobooks.
Genre Detective and mystery stories.
Subject Audiobooks -- Compact discs.
Series Capital Crimes novel ; 12
Note "Unabridged mystery."--Container spine.
Performer Narrator, Richard Poe.
Ruth
Jul 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
I thought that the author being the daughter of President Truman might make this an interesting read... While the author herself was a fascinating woman who led a great life, I can't say I even remotely enjoyed this book. I gave up eating foods I disliked in my teens... Why oh why do I still feel obligated to read a book through? It took me forever to read! However, the book being a big snore gave me big snores!
Benjamin Thomas
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ms. Truman has had a long run of Capital Crime Mysteries now and honestly, I can't really find anything "wrong" with this one. It just didn't seem to have the pizazz of others in the series, even though we see the same protagonist. Mystery lovers will enjoy this book even though it seemed like some plot elements were after-thoughts. A bit too predictable, also, as I had figured out the murderer about 1/3 of the way in to it. Better than having nothing to read though, I suppose.
Pat
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Truman has written over 20 "Murder in/on/at..." with Washington D.C. locales that she knows so/too well and hence almost a travelogue of D.C. as she moves the plot around the area. This is my first novel by Truman (her #12 in the Capital Crimes series)and likely my last as it appeared to be a formula-written mystery, choppy, and incorporating too many places, too many unique people, too loosely connected.
Margo Brooks
You have to take Truman's style with a grain of salt. A little too many of her observations about the roles of men and women are often attributed to her characters and she explains rather than shows too much. I accept that about her writing and sometimes find it giggle worthy. In this novel, since the plot never captured my imagination, I just found it annoying.
Jodi
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have really enjoyed Margaret Truman's previous mysteries, so this was a huge disappointment. I only kept reading after my normal limit of 50 pages due to my prior experience with her books. This one, however, rambled all over the place, had lots of loose ends that never connected, as well as much extraneous information that didn't contribute to the plot or story at all. NOT a good choice.
grundoon
While the mysteries are "okay" and the characters (individually anyway) pleasant enough, the overload of societal touches and the saccharine in their relationship are really starting to distract from simple enjoyment. And really, if you're going to put on airs, "chomping" at a bit is even more irritating than usual.
Lourdes Vazquez
I've been reading , for the time and in honor of Edgar Allan...some detective, mysteries, chasing stories. A lot of excellent books on the genre...what i found is once the chase is over...i have nothing to remember...strange!
Dawn
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Along with the leaky roof and bad foundation, this book came with my shore house. My house, however, has other redeeming features. This lame-o crime story does not. I enjoyed a good trip down memory lane with all of the DC landmark shout-outs, though.
Davney Stahley
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is my third Truman and my last. My 84 year old mother loves Truman, but I find the long descriptions and history of every building, restaurant, monument and neighborhood tedious. Yes I've loved visiting DC, but don't really want a travelogue.
Gaenolee
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy Margaret Truman's writing as an easy, detail-packed escape. Since I live in the D.C. region, I recognize the locales she uses (though heaven knows the restaurants have changed - but I remember the ones she mentions). All her books are easy reading, and do contain some plot-twists.
ChrisGA
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y-read-2015
absorbing mystery--Mac and Annabelle are likeable characters. Enjoyed their relationship.
Conni Harness
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really Good Read - best yet. Slow in beginning but got rolling. Mac Smith returned. Good character. Love these stories with Mac & Annabel!!!
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast, #18)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse (Monsieur Pamplemousse Mystery, Book 1)
  • Fisherman's Bend (Jane Bunker Mystery #2)
  • Skeleton Key (Gregor Demarkian, #16)
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)