Start by marking “Galimoto” as Want to Read:

“A joy to read aloud.” New York Times Book Review

Kondi is determined to make a galimoto—a toy vehicle made of wires. His brother laughs at the idea, but all day Kondi goes about gathering up the wire he needs. By nightfall, his wonderful galimoto is ready for the village children to play with in the light of the moon.

This Reading Rainbow book is a school and library
Published August 21st 1991 by HarperCollins (first published March 21st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Galimoto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galimoto

Start your review of Galimoto
Kathryn
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A young boy in an East African village opens his treasure box and takes out some wire, deciding to build a galimoto (Malawi word for a vehicle). But he doesn't have enough wire so he sets about finding some throughout the village. Will he find enough to make his special toy and, if so, what form will his imagination take with a few twists of the wire?

I appreciate the sense of joy, freedom and imagination the young boy experiences in the story. I was not as thrilled with the many grown-ups who
Kathy Grimm
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: art teachers
I chose to develop an art lesson plan based upon this popular children's book,"Galimoto." Kondi learns to use his ingenuity and everyday resources to craft a toy from discarded junk! A concept that is also important when demonstrating to young people that recycling can be fun! Below is a quote from the extended lesson.

"It is important for American students to draw analogies between themselves and students of different countries and communities of different ethnic/cultural diversity. This helps
Michael
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's not a very emotional tale, but it has a powerful simplicity, and is very vivid in its depiction of some aspects of life in Malawi, Africa. It seems like something children can relate to, because it is all about trying to make something to entertain and be proud of, and about navigating the social worlds of children and adults to achieve your goals.
Season Neal
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A cute story about a little boy in an African village who is determined to make a toy out of a few materials even though his friends and family make fun of him. A great story to teach perseverance and believing in yoruself.
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 24th, 2014

Author: Karen Lynn Williams; Illustrated by Catherine Stock

Title: Galimoto

Plot: A seven year old boy in a African village is determined to look all over town for wire to make his most prized possession: a galimoto.

Setting: Unidentified African Village

Characters: Kondi (main character); Ufulu

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Determination; Dreams

Style: Narrative; African-American-themed Picture-Book; illustrations are vibrant watercolors.

Copyright: 1990

Notes: A good
Kayla Pleasants
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Galimoto is a story about a young boy in a village in Africa who really goes after his dreams. I loved this book because it showed the perseverance of the young man as he worked to achieve his dreams. The young boy sets out to make a Galimoto, a wire toy, for himself. He starts out with a few pieces of wire and trades, works, and finds what he needs to accomplish his goals. This book speaks to making a goal and the hard work it takes to reach that goal. It also lets students see into the life of ...more
Luisa Knight
This tale shows one little boys determination to make a galimoto (a toy made of wires). I really enjoyed the pictures as they were bright and animated scenes around the village.

Ages: 4 - 8

#geography #africa #malawi

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before
Marcy Morgan
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Written by Karen Lynn Williams
Illustrated by Catherine Stock
1990 Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books
ISBN: 0688087892
Genre: Picture book-Fiction
Level: K-3

With his African village as his backdrop, Kondi is determined to make himself a galimoto, a sort of push car toy. Kondi's possessions are few: an old shoe box filled with a ball made of plastic bags, a knife he had made, and a dancing man he had made from cornstalks. Kondi must be creative to trade and find pieces of wire to fashion his
Kayla
I think this book has a great message: never give up. Kondi is determined to make a galimoto. Everyone from his village doesn't believe he will get enough wire to do it. After traveling everywhere to find some spare wire he finally made his galimoto. Everyone was shocked when he showed them what he had made. I think my students would enjoy this book. They might even get inspired to make a toy of their own after reading this book.
Matthew
This is the story of a boy who wants to build a wire toy that he shapes like a car. It's called a galimoto and apparently it's a common practice in some African cultures. This story includes an endnote describing the hobby or custom or whatever you'd like to call it. It's interesting though I can't see this practice being common among American children who largely get their toys premade. It's too bad though because this probably does more to develop their motor skills and imaginations. Oh well.
Lorraine
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little African boy trading things to get the materials he needs to make his "Galimoto", a toy vehicle made with wire. Remember those? What a contrast for our kids here in America with all the toys we have here. I remember a favorite toy of the African kids where I lived was an old tire and a stick to roll it with. Did you ever roll down a hill in a tire? It's lots of fun but probably a little dangerous!
Mary
This is the story of a little boy who lives in a poverty-stricken community in Africa. All he wants is a Galimoto (a toy), and he works tirelessly to make himself one out of wires. He goes all over town collecting the wires that he needs, and eventually he creates the toy of his dreams. The best part is that the next day, he can take it apart and create any other kind of toy! This is a longer story with lovely pictures and was featured on Reading Rainbow.
Kim
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so well-written. The illustrations are wonderful and such an amazing addition to the story. I loved the ingenuity and determination of this young man as he goes about looking for the needed materials to make his "Galimoto". I loved how the Karen Lynn Williams kept me wondering until the end just what a Galimoto is. If you want to know, you will have to read it to find out just like I did. I want this book to add to my own library. A wonderful, wonderful book.
Meredith
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-fiction
A wonderful story set in Malawi that tells the story of Kondi, an ambitious young boy determined to gather all the materials to make a treasured, "galimoto," or toy vehicle made of wires.

The pictures illustrate village scenes and children's activities. This would be a great story to teach children about perseverance and determination.
Pam
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet story about a young boy in Africa who collects wire from various places in order to build himself a toy car. While the book has much to teach, geography, different cultures and economic circumstances, perseverance, creativity, it does not address any of them in depth and for that I only gave it 3 stars.
Betsey Brannen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: diversity, africa
Although I enjoyed the story of this book, I wish it had included some information about the culture of the galimoto, as well as the area in which the children live (the book jacket will tell you that it was in Malawi which both the author and illustrator based the story).
Megan Miller
This book tells the story of Kondi, a little boy in an African village, searching for materials to make something called a Galimoto. In the end he finally collects enough wire to erect his toy car or galimoto. this would be a good book to ask students to infer what he is trying to make.
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: africa
This children's book would be excellent inspiration to the class that treasures can be made out of the simplest (and cheapest) materials. It would be fun to have the kids make their own galimotos afterwards!
Julie Esanu
A young boy in Malawi goes in search of materials for the "galimoto," or toy car that he wants to make. A great book to teach about recycling and repurposing materials.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, africa
Great story about an inventive and resourceful young boy in a village in Malawi.
Tracy
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: esl
Kondi is resourceful as he accumulates enough wire to make a galimoto.
Jess
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: staff-reads-gpl
What an inspirational read -- hidden on the bookshelf, this book served as the perfect pick for the culture/world theme week at our library.
Cheryl
Beautiful book with a lovely storyline. I liked that he didn't let obstacles stand in his way and searched out what he needed to make something fun to share.
Barb Struwe
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Our world could use more Kondis with galimotos.
Andrea
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
The story of a little boy in an East African village who wants to build a toy car. The book portrays his social interactions and eventual success. Wonderful watercolor illustrations.
Katheryn McNicholas
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story of effort childhood and innocence. Galimoto tells the story of a young boy's mission in his village as he uses what he can to build a Galimotot, a toy. The story is beautifully illustrated with colors and characters and outdoor scenery throughout the village. Readers see in the background and throughout his adventure a way of life and the shops roles and foods of an African community.

Play
Kindness
Childhood
Jessie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: engineering
This is a really cool story of a boy gathering, trading for, and asking for the materials he needs to make his own toy. Not all of his decisions are the best, but he's very independent and resourceful.

I liked seeing the broader maker culture, as well.
Jaime
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is great. I love the Reading Rainbow video to accompany it.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A maker-culture story of a boy collecting wire in different ways from different places to build a toy car.
Miss Kelly

• Snoopy
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • The Good Egg
  • Rain School
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • The Empty Pot
  • A Day's Work
  • Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt
  • Town Mouse, Country Mouse
  • Cows Can't Jump
Karen was born in Connecticut, and received her Master’s degree in deaf education. She has lived in Africa and in Haiti. Karen had an early dream to be one of the youngest published authors, starting a writing club at ten. However, Karen's published works came later in life, after extensive travels and family experience. Karen's ability to draw from personal experience and adapt into writing forms ...more