Start by marking “Shout! Shout It Out!” as Want to Read:
Shout! Shout It Out!

Shout! Shout It Out!

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  428 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Kids are often told to sit still and be quiet. But Denise Fleming encourages them to shout, shout it out! By taking basic learning concepts like numbers, letters, and colors and putting them on display, she asks kids to shout out what they know--and her readers will be happy to oblige.

With bold colors and her unique handmade paper art, Denise Fleming makes learning i
Published March 29th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Shout! Shout It Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout! Shout It Out!

Camie
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What child doesn't want to use their outside voice inside once in awhile. If 2 1/2-3 year olds were our reviewers this book would get all 5 stars. Highly recommended by preschool teachers, a fun book that needs more attention. Ellie's Feb. 5 stars
Logan Mikesell
Denise Fleming is a fantastic author who uses minimal words and unique pictures in each of her books. She writes for a young age group and the story can be easily read without the words because her pictures tell the story. In each book she uses a process called pulp painting for her images. Her book Shout! Shout it out is no exception to her style. The central theme of most of her books is teaching through words and pictures. This book, Shout! Shout it out follows this theme. This book contains ...more
Sarah Shufelt
Perennial favorite author Denise Fleming invites young children to shout out what they see in what might be the ultimate participation book. In Shout! Shout It Out! Fleming displays colorful numbers, letters, colors, animals, and means of transportation and calls on children to shout out the things they know. The book takes children’s natural inclinations to comment and point out familiar things and makes it the center of the experience. The small mouse that appears throughout encourages anothe ...more
Sharon Lawler
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-picturebooks
Denise Fleming's mouse is back, and this time he is in the midst of preschoolers who are shouting their ABCs and 123s! Great story time selection to help shake out the wiggles! Illustrations are Fleming's hallmark--"pulp painting-a paper making technique using colored cotton fiber poured through hand-cut stencils. Accents were added with patterned paper collage, pastel pencil, china marker, and colored indian inks." (from the copyright page)
The Library Lady
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Perfect for story hour. Don't think so? Think this is too noisy for a (shhh!)library?
Well, then you havn't been to any public library lately. And you certainly haven't been to mine. Or to one of my story hours!
This book is PERFECT for getting a group involved in a program. And because of the side comments from the characters, you could also easily use it one on one on your lap.
Either way, another terrific title from one of my top "Too Good To Get A Caldecott" authors.
Kristen
This vibrant picture book is for all our little ones who love to call out what they see as we read: "Cow!" "Train!" "I know my ABC's!" Fleming's art is box-of-crayons bright. Nice choice for a loud storytime!
Donalyn
A splendid book for youngsters to practice the letters, numbers, colors, and other words they know. Bold, bright illustrations go along with the loudness and joy of shouting out the words. A clever little mouse appears on every page, adding his own thoughts about each category.
Melissa
Love the wide-open mouths on all the kids in this book; love little mouse making lovely little comments. You could read this at storytime once through with everybody being super loud, then read it again and only read what Mouse says, very quietly.
Angie
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love to make kids be loud in the library!!
Miss Sarah
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This book gets the reader involved in shouting out the words to match pictures. many basic concepts like colors, abc, and numbers. toddler and up
  • Little Chicken's Big Day
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • If You're Hoppy
  • RRRalph
  • Tweak Tweak
  • Say What?
  • Lemons Are Not Red (Ala Notable Book(Awards)) (Neal Porter Books)
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Sylvie
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...