Start by marking “The Complete David Bowie” as Want to Read:
The Complete David Bowie

The Complete David Bowie

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  382 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The career of David Bowie has been one of the most colorful and intriguing in modern rock history. In "The Complete David Bowie, Nicholas Pegg chronicles the star's every move--from his first appearance as balladeer Davy Jones in the 60s, and his spectacular, gender-bending turn in the 70s as Ziggy Stardust, to his starring roles in films like "The Man Who fell to Earth an ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Reynolds & Hearn (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete David Bowie, please sign up.

Ley Killeya-Jones It might be overkill for you - it is NOT a biography but rather a collection of entries on all things Bowie, songs (those he wrote and those he…moreIt might be overkill for you - it is NOT a biography but rather a collection of entries on all things Bowie, songs (those he wrote and those he covered), albums, videos, tours, and films. (less)
Ley Killeya-Jones The book is huge - a comprehensive collection of entries on every song Bowie wrote and those he covered, up until Blackstar; all albums, every tour,…moreThe book is huge - a comprehensive collection of entries on every song Bowie wrote and those he covered, up until Blackstar; all albums, every tour, videos, films, and other bits and pieces. Cannot be "read" straight through; it is more of a reference book that is extremely well-written by someone who clearly loves and admires Bowie's work. (less)

James Gent
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Bible! This book is just the absolute business. Authorative, informative, witty, insightful and rigorously researched - plus, it's written by one of the Daleks so, double bonus!
Tyler Evans
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bowie fans, music fans
Recommended to Tyler by: Many fellow Bowie fans
Let me say that I am probably one the biggest Bowie fans. I have everything that he's ever done as far a music, and I'm now trying to see his film work as well. My parents bought this book for me as a Christmas gift, and I'm still reading it. For me, its a bible for Bowie fans. Its something that every Bowie fan should read.

This book covers everything that you could possibly want to know about Bowie. There's really no need to read any other Bowie reference work if you've read and/or own this boo
Mariel
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: stardust dreams
Recommended to Mariel by: glitter fairies
The complete David Bowie is a pretty good book to consult with for your Bowie needs. "*Channels Han Solo* I don't know, my Bowie needs are quite a bit," you might say. Mine too, my friend. I was born a David Bowie fan. Wearing a David Bowie t-shirt. Instead of saying "It's a girl!" the doctor said "It's a Bowie fan!" (or "It's another Bowie fan!", since my twin was born first).
I've read a few Bowie books over the years (don't think they are on goodreads?). I think this is the best one to get. No
Andy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, definitely the definitive Bowie overview. Song by song, album by album, etc. Pegg finds lots of unreleased and obscure tracks as well. Really thorough, and Pegg's a terrific writer. Highly recommended for the fan. Noobs probably want something a little lighter.

I read a 1999 edition; surely more current/updated editions exist.
Rob
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having now taken quite an intensive journey this year through the life and works of David Bowie, here is perhaps (and self-avowedly) the most comprehensive of all of these books. Structured ostensibly like a Discography/Filmography/Recording Date Diary, it's actually written like a normal biography, using this play-off between chattiness and completeness to set up Bowie as a multimedia monolith - warts and all - and to approach him along several faces, starting each time at the chronological beg ...more
Tim Worthington
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where other writers about Bowie tend to treat their subject as an alternative religion, an epic tale of rock'n'roll excess where the music was more or less a footnote, or worst of all an excuse to go on about themselves for page after page after page, The Complete Bowie puts the art and the facts first and foremost, and in so doing ends up telling the story more accurately, coherently and above all excitingly than pretty much anyone else ever.

And it really IS The Complete Bowie. From The Laughin
Caroline Roberts
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie is not a biography more of a reference book that includes biographical material. Pegg looks at every song in alphabetic order, revealing anecdotes and insights into lyrics. Every album in chronological order, delving into his state of mind whilst making them and who he had around him, videos, tours, including set lists, his acting career and then miscellaneous such as painting, internet etc.
Originally I thought I'd be using it as a reference work but act
Ben Baker
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beast of a book and bar the unexpected return of The Thin White David Bowie in 2014, there's not a spangled underpant or expressive mime uncatalogued. Essential.
Alan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
THIS IS NOT A BOOK YOU READ. This is a reference book for the extreme Bowie fan.
There is already a newer edition than the one I have. And there will be yet another edition soon covering Bowie's final LP BLACKSTAR.
This lists and comments on every David Bowie single; album and compilation.
It also notes any song he covered in concert that was not his and did not appear on an album.
The book is a monster and I will want that next volume.
I really like David Bowie's work.
Stargazer
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bowie
Essential reference book for fans or researchers.
Jimmy
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indispensable as a reference book, and equally fascinating to read from cover to cover. The best guide to a musician's work that I have ever had the pleasure to read.
Tripp
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the most essential reading material available in regards to David Bowie's music.
Courtney
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After David Bowie's passing, people were upset at losing such an iconic man but also someone who had compassion and talent. He left on a bang with his Lazarus album, and it shook everyone.

This complete collection covers every song he wrote, concert he gave, and video made. It's an anthology dedicated to the work of David Bowie, and he even helped write it with Pegg to ensure it was accurate.

Courtney
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Steven
I finally got quit going piecemeal on this one, and just ploughed in (as it gave me an excuse to trot out the Bowie music collection for the first time in a while) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's a couple of minor errors and a bunch of typos, but this brick of a book is about as thorough a look at David Bowie's overall life and career and output as you might ever want. If you need to go deeper you can, of course, supplement it with volumes focused on specific aspects or periods, but on the wh ...more
Jennie
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just got this from the library and it will be the first book I buy for 2012. If you love David Bowie, it's a must. Love the way that it is organized. No pictures is the only draw back. Picks up where many of the biographers have left off. Talks about his role in Labyrinth which is really overlooked. Such an amazing career and an amazing old school artist.
Matthew
This is not a book to be read thru cover to cover, but rather, flipped open and perused as the whim strikes you. It's an exhaustive and somewhat exhausting tromp through David Bowie's life, and, as such, is alternatively fascinating and banal. Well worth the read, if this is the kind of thing you want to read.
Lin Christiansen
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In my opinion it's the best Bowie book out there. Not only does it contain almost every piece of information worth knowing about Bowie's career, it's also very well written and neatly structured. I think the word "bowiepedia" would describe this 700 page giant of a book fairly well - and I would definitely recommend it to any Bowiephile interested in learning more.
Mike O'Brien
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every Bowie fan. Its reference book likes structure - a section for every track; another for every album; another for acting; and so on - works perfectly. Pegg's highly readable book is a rich store of background information, biography, and insightful analysis.
Samara
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the kind of book you read from cover to cover. It is, however, a very detailed account of David Bowie's professional life. Therefore, it is an invaluable reference for the David Bowie fans of the world.
Aaron
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This guy! What a guy. I was watching the video for "Loving the Alien" just today. This book is a wonderfully detailed resource on David Bowie, but naturally it appeals only to a niche market. My edition doesn't cover Reality or anything after that, sadly.
Eric
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A massive and thorough reference source for Bowie's work. Definitely something to grab when the mood strikes or when you're seeking a bit of trivia, but tedious to attempt a front to back read. Borrowed from the library - I should just buy the thing, as I could go back to it endlessly.
Fran Slater
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fascinating subject - massively dull book. Only gets two stars because it's about the legend that is David Bowie.
Mary Ellen
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the sixth edition. Given recent events I may wait a few years before updating. Truely brilliant.
Andrew
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Seriously encyclopedic. Includes everything you wanted to know, from who's standing by the wall making out in "Heroes" to the Diamond Dog hiding in Jareth the King's hosiery
Jamil
Nov 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: music, bowie, records
talk about yr exhaustive references!
Roy
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with many details and info on Bowies albums and tours , a must for any fan .
Ivan
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best Bowie book bar none.

It's so extensive that I will always be "currently-reading" this one.
Eleanor Schmidt
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like David Bowie than you need this book. In his own words you get a detailed explanation of each album, each song, each lyric. Pull out all your David Bowie albums-Listen and Learn
Claudia Lewis
The definitive Bowie guide.

This book is packed full of information about the great David Bowie. Exploring every song he ever wrote and how they came to be, this is a bible for all Bowie fans.
  • Strange Fascination: David Bowie: The Definitive Story
  • Pass Thru Fire: The Collected Lyrics
  • Post Everything: Outsider Rock and Roll
  • Bowie: A Biography
  • Tony Visconti: The Autobiography: Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy
Nicholas Pegg is a British actor, director and writer.

His acting work in the theatre includes productions for Nottingham Playhouse, Scottish Opera, Birmingham Repertory Theatre and the Theatre Royal, Plymouth. He appears in several audio plays based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who. He also appeared as a Dalek operator in numerous episodes of the 2005 relaunch of the televis
More about Nicholas Pegg

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
    $14.99 $1.99
  • In the Beginning . . .: Science Faces God in the Book of Genesis
    $8.99 $1.99
“A girl wearing a red dress in a forest will be some strange vision of unexpected eroticism, but a girl wearing a red dress on a catwalk will be highly predictable.” 1 likes
“music does have an implicit message of its own; it makes its case very pointedly. If that were not the case, then classical music would not have succeeded to the extent that it did ... It makes me very angry ... when people concentrate only on the lyrics because that’s to imply there is no message stated in the music itself, which wipes out hundreds of years of classical music. Ridiculous.” 0 likes