Start by marking “Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)” as Want to Read:

Coaching is a way of managing, a way of treating people, a way of thinking, a way of being. Coaching has matured into an invaluable profession fit for our times and this fourth edition of the most widely read coaching book takes it to the next frontier.
Good coaching is a skill that requires a depth of understanding and plenty of practice if it is to deliver its astonishing
Published May 25th 2002 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published April 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Coaching for Performance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coaching for Performance

Start your review of Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
Barry
This was a book described as 'the definitive book on coaching' during a Coaching course I recently attended. I have to say I have been left a little disappointed with it.

I work hard at Coaching and although I am not a natural coach it is something I am developing. I would suggest this book is good for providing a high level of what coaching is but it really isn't a toolkit for relative novices to add to their knowledge and approach.

There is one huge positive in the book and that is Whitmore's G
Bogdan Florin
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Coaching for performance is one of the best books on the topic. It had reached already it’s 25 edition and counting millions of copies sold. If you want to become a better person, a better manager, a better team member, this book is a must for you.

Here are some aspects that you will learn:
- Coaching is unlocking a person's potential to maximize their own performance. It is helping them to learn rather than teaching them.

- The ideal coach is “patient, detached, supportive, interested, [a] good
Ricardo Cavalcanti
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching, leadership
It's a great book about coaching. Introduces the key fundamentals about coaching as well as a structured framework to apply as a coach.
Diana Buliga
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good reference for wanna be coaches, as well as being a tool for self-understanding.
Ian .
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great methodical book. Concentrates mostly on GROW model, quite a lot practical tips, also discusses some bigger philosophical questions - basically about the role of leaders in current world and how they can change the behaviour of many. Also good chapters about ethics etc.
Frank Calberg
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Passages I found particularly useful:

Focus on the person's values, interests and needs:
- Page 20: Create trust and safety.
- Pages 47 and 70: Focus on interests of the person. By doing that, the coach gains the coachee's confidence, because the interest and needs of the coachee are respected.
- Page 71: Body awareness brings with it automatic self correction. An example: Try focusing your attention on your facial muscles. Probably, you will notice a tight jaw. And almost simultaneously with the aw
Nathan Smith
This is a great book for life coaching
Abdurrahman AlQahtani
A great book that is at the foundation of coaching practice. John talks from experience and offers wisdom and practical questions that can help in coaching engagements. He explained GROW model with good examples, and offered an open buffet of questions that can help a coach to enrich coaching discussions. I especially liked the ones under “discovering meaning and purpose”. I actually used them in one of my coaching sessions, and they yielded great results.

On the other hand, I have a problem with
Jamie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Didn't have any "ah ha" moments or find anything earth shattering to take away from this book.
Simo Ibourki
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: coaching
Even if I wansn't interested in business coaching, 2 parts of this book were of great value to me, the first one on the GROW model and the second one on transpersonal coaching.
Stefano Di Lollo
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A relatively easy read by Sir John Whitmore (1937-2017), one of the pioneers of the coaching industry, that reviews most of the basic principles of coaching without diving too deeply into the intricacies of each. The author’s aim is to remain focused on creating high performance cultures (while only hinting at other potential coaching styles). The book offers clear and concise explanations, case studies, example dialogues, and practice activities based on the work of Whitmore’s Performance Consu ...more
Hillary Kirtland
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
What I'm getting from the book is that coaches should be unlocking the potential for coachees to create their own accountability and responsibility. I love the fact that it's all centered around the coachee as well. Although I bet that is the biggest struggle for most coaches, to let go of their own thoughts and opinions on the answers their coachees should choose.

The only area I struggle with are that certain psychological models (i.e. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs) are not widely accepted by the
Mihai Rosca
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-paperback-a
First thing's first and this was my very first book about the subject at hand, which is coaching. I have been curious for quite a while about what coaching actually is, how it behaves in its entirety and what the benefits are. I'm afraid most of the descriptions that you will find at a superficial glance on the internet don't shed much light on that.

I just put down the book a few minutes ago and I must say I liked it a lot. First of all, it's not a book about coaching in companies. No. Even thou
Andreea
Apr 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope, not for me. I did not learn very much from this book. I liked the GROW principle idea, but my main issue with this book is that it talks SO MUCH about how important coaching is for businesses and corporations, yet all the examples in this book are about sports. Yeah, the coaching idea comes from sports, however... if you don't show me how I can use this book in a corporate environment, then what's the point?

There's was also a tiny paragraph that stops me from giving this book two stars - a
Pap Lőrinc
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
* don't tell your view, rather ask questions that highlight the difference between the two thought patterns
* trust the other to come with *some* solution, the coach's job is to ask relevant questions
** in a way it's like a pedometer that tells your number of daily steps, without telling you what to do with it: you have to personalize it
* the job of the coach is to monitor and give objective feedback: people will naturally optimize on the provided metrics
* similar to therapy
* pull, not push based
Rebecca
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a few months of reading this in a book circle, it is finally done.

As an introduction to coaching, I'd say this is a great book. It starts out with selling coaching as a concept, which is something all these books seem to do, and then becomes very concrete and hands-on about the GROW model. This part of the book was a great learning experience and something I will definitely come back to over the years.

However, the last part is basically just business talk. ROI, coaching planning and pric
Koen Wellens
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
I found this book very useful! Not every chapter was as useful as the ones about the GROW technique, but still worth the read. I even took pictures from this book. I've never done that before!

For me this book is worth 4 stars. Not really a book that I want to talk about with everyone, but I am glad that I read it. And if you're into coaching, you really got to read this book!

Read the full review at my blog.
Julie  Capell
Maybe it's just not the right time for me to be reading this. It came highly recommended but I didn't realize it would be so focused on coaching in the business world. I quit listening to this about one hour in because it doesn't seem to be about life coaching in the way I understand that term. Maybe I will pick it up again later but for now I am moving on.

[I listened to this as an audio book read by Erik Synnestvedt. Really slow reader but when I increased the speed a bit, the narration was sti
Andrew
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working for a professional organization where there is a focus on performance, and where I am expected to manage and coach a small team, this book provided practical tips and examples.

It also emphasized the difference between coaching people and instructing them. It is all too easy to fall into the trap of telling people what to do, rather than helping them work out what needs to be done themselves!

This is the first book I have read on coaching but would like to apply some of the ideas outlined
Dany Le Goaix
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this for my Coaching Accreditation requirements. Alot of good big picture points but that's the flaw in my mind. I wanted to learn more about the GROW (Goal, Reality, Options, Will/Way Forward) coaching model and the key questions to ask in each stage. Although he does list out some questions it doesn't give context as to why the questions are important and help with the flow and outcome.
David
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone trying to move from a "tell" to an "ask" style of management, and being very much at the start of my journey, i found this book to be a great springboard from which to start.
I'm sure there are plenty more substantial and conflicting approaches out there that i have yet to read and experience, that being said i enjoyed the read and have started to put my learnings to good use...i think.
Cori
What intrigued me: Fiona lent me this book, as I am trying to expand my coaching relationships at work.

What I liked: Practical and straight forward. I have already tried out some of the techniques listed in the book.

What I didn't like: The closing chapter on Transpersonal Coaching seemed a little out there.

Favorite quote: “Information is not the same as prescription.”
Raquel Coelho
May 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I could easily give this book 1 star, but I won't because I probably did not give it the best chance.
I tried reading it twice and both times I felt that:
1. It did not make reference to research and did not provide opportunities to follow up on claims made.
2. It had a lot of fluff. It's a thick book that says very little.
3. It is all written in a male voice. I have the paper copy, so I do not mean the narrator. I mean they use "he" and "him".
Lee Griffith
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid book going through the basic principles of the coaching conversation. Particularly useful for those in leadership positions, or with aspirations for leadership, as it dissects how coaching - rather than managing - can improve performance, teamwork and business results. Includes a number of useful exercises and coaching questions that leaders can use, as well as demonstrating through example conversations how the theory can work in practice.
Stefan Bruun
The book is very basic. The first quarter of the book is trying to sell the reader on the idea of coaching. Most people picking up the book are probably already sold. The last quarter of the book seems focused on justifying investments in coaching - probably for larger organizations.

The real takeaway of the book is the GROW framework. It's a good framework, but could probably have been described in a blog post or article rather than a long book.
Ben Lobaugh
Great coaching base to learn coaching as a management style

Modern coaching methods stem from this book. The coaching methods described in here are still very applicable. The authors emphasis on coaching as a management technique was spot on. Would be 5 stars but there was lots of unnecessary political posturing that distracted from the coaching content.
Dai Reading
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well written and constructed work on Coaching. Whilst it is written with big corporations/organisations in mind, I gained a great deal of useful information/knowledge/technique etc from this book for myself on a personal and much lower level. Highly recommend it for anyone who aspires to get the best out of themselves and others on a number of levels.
Jules
Not bad, read this initially to learn more about the GROW model which was useful and practical. The other parts of the book were not bad, but I wouldn't say that this is THE book you'd want to read to learn more about how to become an effective executive coach. It's useful though, for understanding why you'd want to use coaching techniques as a leader in your organisation.
Philip Joubert
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The GROW model is really good and if the book actually focused more on that it would be 5 stars. Instead the author spends the last half of the book on a rant about why coaching is important, the environment and therapy rather than how to do coaching.

I'm going to be looking for another book on the GROW model because those chapters were insanely useful.
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephbe
I just wrote a 500 word report on this book for college, so I could give you an extensive review!
But, I’ll just say, if you want to raise your leadership to the next level, or if you are interested in become a coach, this book is not only essential reading but a handbook which you will refer to often.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Qualities of a Successful Chartered Accountant 1 1 Jul 09, 2018 05:38AM

• Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
  • The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
  • The Inner Game of Work: Focus, Learning, Pleasure, and Mobility in the Workplace
  • Coach the Person, Not the Problem: A Guide to Using Reflective Inquiry
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance
  • Maverick: The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual Workplace
  • Effective Modern Coaching
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • Humble Consulting: How to Provide Real Help Faster

News & Interviews

“Coaching is unlocking people’s potential to maximize their own performance.” 6 likes
“Coaching focuses on future possibilities, not past mistakes” 5 likes