Start by marking “Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)” as Want to Read:

Coaching is a way of managing, a way of treating people, a way of thinking, a way of being. Coaching has matured into an invaluable profession fit for our times and this fourth edition of the most widely read coaching book takes it to the next frontier.
Good coaching is a skill that requires a depth of understanding and plenty of practice if it is to deliver its astonishing
Published May 25th 2002 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published April 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Coaching for Performance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coaching for Performance

Barry
This was a book described as 'the definitive book on coaching' during a Coaching course I recently attended. I have to say I have been left a little disappointed with it.

I work hard at Coaching and although I am not a natural coach it is something I am developing. I would suggest this book is good for providing a high level of what coaching is but it really isn't a toolkit for relative novices to add to their knowledge and approach.

There is one huge positive in the book and that is Whitmore's G
Mohsen Rajabi
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
مربیگری برای عملکرد در سطح جهانی هنوز پدیدهای ناشناخته است و واضح است که هنوز کسی در ایران چنین چیزی را نشنیده است. در این کتاب نویسنده با مثالهای گوناگون و به اشکال مختلف تعریف جدید خود از «مربیگری» را ارائه میکند و میگوید که هدف از این مربیگری رسیدن به عملکردی است که در ابتدا دستنیافتنی به نظر میرسد و شرط چنین مسألهای بالابردن آگاهی و مسئولیتپذیری کارگران و کارمندان از کاری که انجام میدهند است

هرچند که این کتاب بیشتر برای مدیرانی نوشته که میخواهند در بازار ناثبات امروز کسبوکار خود را حفظ کنند و
Diana Buliga
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good reference for wanna be coaches, as well as being a tool for self-understanding.
Ricardo Cavalcanti
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching, leadership
It's a great book about coaching. Introduces the key fundamentals about coaching as well as a structured framework to apply as a coach.
Bogdan Florin
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Coaching for performance is one of the best books on the topic. It had reached already it’s 25 edition and counting millions of copies sold. If you want to become a better person, a better manager, a better team member, this book is a must for you.

Here are some aspects that you will learn:
- Coaching is unlocking a person's potential to maximize their own performance. It is helping them to learn rather than teaching them.

- The ideal coach is “patient, detached, supportive, interested, [a] good
Andreea Zanfir
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
O recomand celor care sunt la inceput de drum in domeniul coaching-ului.
Am citit-o foarte usor, in doar trei zile si m-a ajutat cu o structura clara si simpla pentru ceva ce eu faceam intuitiv.

Ce am apreciat:
- tehnica GROW si cum sa intelegi fiecare pas:
Goal.
Current Reality
Options (or Obstacles)
Will (or Way Forward)
- (foarte) multe intrebari, model sau in role-play.
- partea despre dezvoltarea si dinamica echipei

Definitely give it a try!
Abdurrahman AlQahtani
A great book that is at the foundation of coaching practice. John talks from experience and offers wisdom and practical questions that can help in coaching engagements. He explained GROW model with good examples, and offered an open buffet of questions that can help a coach to enrich coaching discussions. I especially liked the ones under “discovering meaning and purpose”. I actually used them in one of my coaching sessions, and they yielded great results.

On the other hand, I have a problem with
Ray Campbell
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
At the USRowing Convention this past December, a coach from the Saratoga Rowing Club mentioned this book as one of two he had read when starting his journey as a coach. The work was not intended as a manual for coaching sports, but rather coaching lifestyle, leadership, education or other endeavor. In other words, it is for someone interested in building a team and coaching members to work together effectively or to maximize potential in an individual in any context.

I found it an interesting an
Jamie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Didn't have any "ah ha" moments or find anything earth shattering to take away from this book.
Frank Calberg
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Passages I found particularly useful:

What are examples of coaching questions to create awareness and responsibility?
- Pages 46 - 47: Open questions can start with words like what, when, who, how much and how many. These questions are helpful to get facts and effective for creating awareness and responsibility.
- Page 51: What else?
- Page 51: If you knew the answer, what would it be?
- Page 52: What would the consequences be for you or for others?
- Page 52: What criteria are you using?
- Page 52: Wh
Mihai Rosca
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
First thing's first and this was my very first book about the subject at hand, which is coaching. I have been curious for quite a while about what coaching actually is, how it behaves in its entirety and what the benefits are. I'm afraid most of the descriptions that you will find at a superficial glance on the internet don't shed much light on that.

I just put down the book a few minutes ago and I must say I liked it a lot. First of all, it's not a book about coaching in companies. No. Even thou
Pap Lőrinc
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
* don't tell your view, rather ask questions that highlight the difference between the two thought patterns
* trust the other to come with *some* solution, the coach's job is to ask relevant questions
** in a way it's like a pedometer that tells your number of daily steps, without telling you what to do with it: you have to personalize it
* the job of the coach is to monitor and give objective feedback: people will naturally optimize on the provided metrics
* similar to therapy
* pull, not push based
Julie  Capell
Maybe it's just not the right time for me to be reading this. It came highly recommended but I didn't realize it would be so focused on coaching in the business world. I quit listening to this about one hour in because it doesn't seem to be about life coaching in the way I understand that term. Maybe I will pick it up again later but for now I am moving on.

[I listened to this as an audio book read by Erik Synnestvedt. Really slow reader but when I increased the speed a bit, the narration was sti
Andrew
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working for a professional organization where there is a focus on performance, and where I am expected to manage and coach a small team, this book provided practical tips and examples.

It also emphasized the difference between coaching people and instructing them. It is all too easy to fall into the trap of telling people what to do, rather than helping them work out what needs to be done themselves!

This is the first book I have read on coaching but would like to apply some of the ideas outlined
Koen Wellens
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
I found this book very useful! Not every chapter was as useful as the ones about the GROW technique, but still worth the read. I even took pictures from this book. I've never done that before!

For me this book is worth 4 stars. Not really a book that I want to talk about with everyone, but I am glad that I read it. And if you're into coaching, you really got to read this book!

Read the full review at my blog.
Dany Le Goaix
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this for my Coaching Accreditation requirements. Alot of good big picture points but that's the flaw in my mind. I wanted to learn more about the GROW (Goal, Reality, Options, Will/Way Forward) coaching model and the key questions to ask in each stage. Although he does list out some questions it doesn't give context as to why the questions are important and help with the flow and outcome.
David
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone trying to move from a "tell" to an "ask" style of management, and being very much at the start of my journey, i found this book to be a great springboard from which to start.
I'm sure there are plenty more substantial and conflicting approaches out there that i have yet to read and experience, that being said i enjoyed the read and have started to put my learnings to good use...i think.
Robert
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Es hora de empezar a dejar de dirigir para empezar a liderar. Mucho mas efectivo, pero mas dificil, y con recompensas mayores. El siglo XXI viene marcado por los unicos activos de la empresa que no se devaluan con el tiempo, las personas, pero hay que cuidarlas.

La buena noticia, se puede aprender a liderar.

Y otra vez, como no, el metodo GROW del coach, es el mismo a la herramienta A3 del Lean.
Ben Lobaugh
Great coaching base to learn coaching as a management style

Modern coaching methods stem from this book. The coaching methods described in here are still very applicable. The authors emphasis on coaching as a management technique was spot on. Would be 5 stars but there was lots of unnecessary political posturing that distracted from the coaching content.
Dai Reading
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well written and constructed work on Coaching. Whilst it is written with big corporations/organisations in mind, I gained a great deal of useful information/knowledge/technique etc from this book for myself on a personal and much lower level. Highly recommend it for anyone who aspires to get the best out of themselves and others on a number of levels.
Jules
Not bad, read this initially to learn more about the GROW model which was useful and practical. The other parts of the book were not bad, but I wouldn't say that this is THE book you'd want to read to learn more about how to become an effective executive coach. It's useful though, for understanding why you'd want to use coaching techniques as a leader in your organisation.
David
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent as a resource for coaches despite being a bit preachy. A quick read despite poor editing (either there are new grammar rules I'm not aware of or this edition was rushed at the expense of proper editing).
Carl
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Important skills to master for leaders looking to improve.
Kim Caudill
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Would not recommend.
Marcus Goncalves
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good book, one of the essential for any business leader as it takes an unique approach to coaching and mentoring, leading to effective leadership.
Adrian
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GROW model is a fantastic approach, easy to use for both professional and personal life.
Cristina Simion
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, lots of practical examples, great structure
Colin Campbell
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Useful for coaching teams in a professional context.
Chandy OT
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
John provide step by step coaching to improve performance. The concept can learn and take straight away to practice in real work place.
Eslam
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing
The Qualities of a Successful Chartered Accountant 1 1 Jul 09, 2018 05:38AM
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High- Performance Culture
  • The Inner Game of Work: Focus, Learning, Pleasure, and Mobility in the Workplace
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
  • Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach
  • NLP at Work : The Difference That Makes a Difference in Business
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • Coaching with the Brain in Mind: Foundations for Practice
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
“As with any new skill, attitude, style, or belief, adopting a coaching ethos requires commitment, practice, and some time before it flows naturally and its effectiveness is optimized.” 4 likes
“Coaching focuses on future possibilities, not past mistakes” 3 likes