Start by marking “Liege-Killer (The Paratwa Saga, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Liege-Killer (The Paratwa Saga, Book 1)

Liege-Killer (Paratwa Saga #1)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  746 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Two hundred years after a nuclear apocalypse forced humanity to flee earth, humans still remember the most feared warriors of that planet—-the Paratwa, genetically modified killers who occupy two bodies controlled by one vicious mind. The legendary Paratwa named Reemul, known as the Liege-Killer, was the strongest of them all. Now someone has revived Reemul from stasis and ...more
Published (first published 1987)

Stephen
BE WARNED…THIS BOOK IS Photobucket

5.0 stars. This is one of those hidden “gems” that makes Goodreads so worthwhile as I would probably never have otherwise come across this book. It is always great to rave about the books you really love and hopefully encourage your friends to check it out. Unless, of course, they end up hating it, but I don't think that will be a problem here.

First let me say that this is SCIENCE FICTION so for those of you that are not SF fans, this may not be your cup of tea. However,
Emily (BellaGrace)
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, a-own-it
I can't remember where I heard about this book, but I think it's one of those unknown hidden gems. Liege Killer is an action packed thriller about a pair of assassins called "Paratwa" (which are lab bred teams who share one common consciousness, or they can split apart into two individuals) who are unleashed into a future where humans are peacefully living in colonies orbiting a destroyed Earth. My explanation might not be that great, but the story was a page turner. It's one of those books wher ...more
Pete Aldin
Quite possibly my favourite scifi novel of all time. Hinz created such an original and yet credible world and concept that I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by Hollywood yet (or even copied in other novels, to my knowledge).

The saddest thing to me was that he barely had anything else published but for this series.

The action is taut and well written, the hero complex, the villain(s??) very very creepy. The future well-imagined. Just reread it a year or two ago after a 15 year gap and loved i
Cassie
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassie by: Jeffrey
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2010
This book took me a pretty long time to read, but it was a great story. There was action, suspense, mystery, a great plot, and a well constructed world. In the beginning, I had trouble getting completely immersed because there did not seem to be a protagonist. But once Gillian emerged, the story became much easier to follow because there was someone to cheer for. I think one of the best parts of this book was the author's ability to flip the notions I relied on in the beginning of the story into ...more
Paul Darcy
Published in 1987 by Christopher Hinz.

This book is one I read almost as soon as it came out.

And, after finishing my last read I spotted this one on my “previously read” bookshelves and decided to give it another go to see if I would still like it now as much as I remember liking it then.

The immediate verdict? Hell yes! This is one fine book for many reasons, reasons you can find in Orson Scott Card’s “How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy.”

The prologue (yes it has one though no epilogue) actu
Josh
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think anyone bothers to read in-depth book reviews anymore, so I'll be brief. There are 2 reasons why I didn't like this book:

1) The world and characters Hinz created are OK, but there's nothing amazing about any of it. All the characters are one dimensional and the world just doesn't have enough flavor to it. The book wasn't horrid, but don't go into it expecting something along the lines of Asimov, Heinlein, Haldeman, etc. This book is more like something John Grisham or Dan Brown woul
Kris
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of a trilogy and like the movie trilogy "The Matrix" the first part is the one that captivaties you the most. Liege-Killer is set 200 years into the future when the earth has been rendered uninhabitable becasue of technology run rampant in the 21st century from a genocidol war. The surviors live in huge space habitats surrounding earth. The wars that devastated earth also created a new weapon but this one is a new type of being called the Paratwa. This is one consciousness ...more
Palmyrah
A fast-paced, suspenseful sci-fi thriller that reveals its author's past as a writer of comic books; even the setup, which involves repeated scenes of civic authorities trying to contain a spreading threat to their community is straight out of Batman. Read as a comic without pictures, Liege-Killer works just fine. Just don't expect any real science, gorgeous word-painting, character development or lambent prose: this is strictly meat-and-potatoes commercial sci-fi for the adolescent market.
Roy
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great underated scifi. Chracters are fun, especially Nick and Gillian. Plot is well constructed and world is something different and new. I've been told to avoid the 2nd and 3rd books as I will feel a little let down. At this stage I wont to read more in this world but am a little apprehensive due to the less than flattering reviews on the next in the series.
Christina Westcott
I read this book when it first came out in the eighties and remembered loving it--it's one of those books with such novel and vivid ideas that it has stuck with me all these years and undoubtedly influenced my own writing. I decided to revisit it and see if it held up to my memories. It did--for the most part. The story was just as riveting, with all its twists and turns and surprises, many of which I had forgotten, so in some ways it was almost like a new book. The only problems I had were not ...more
Roy
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book in 1987 (?) when it first came out and then read it's two sequels. I found this book to be an extremely well written and thought out world. My impression is that it never got the reader base I thought it deserved.
The plot has a slight resemblance to the 1993 movie Demolition Man in that a special being called a Paratwa which is a genetically engineered assassin with two bodies and one mind is defrosted about 250 years in the future. The future has mankind living in space coloni
spikeINflorida
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a good way this story reminded me of Blade Runner. A slightly demented, tortured soul but kinda cool, toting wicked weapons hero that's hunting psychotic genetically engineered assassins throughout a post nuclear apocalypse world. Great characters and world building. BUT In a bad way I experienced the Asimov effect...lots of talk ramping up to not much walk. How much who-done-it political intrigue gibber-jabber can a simpleton like me take? Three and one half stars.
Canyonxplorer
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago after picking it up on a trip to Bristol. This is one of the few sci-fi books that's actually blew me away when I read it. It is also one of my most borrowed books and every one who's read it has had the same reaction. Unfortunately, the promise of this book is never realised in the sequels, which although good never come up to the standards of this book.
Greg O'byrne
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK.

I just re-read this book and I have to say that it is just fantastic. If anyone is currently reading the Expanse series, Liege-Killer compares very favorably with that series. The setup, the villains, the action - everything is just great.

One of those books that made me read it every minute I could.

Noah
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Perhaps my most formative sci-fi world. Words, names, phrases, etc...that spring from this book when it was first released largely dictated my personality.

Returning after so many years was a great treat.
Cory
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series has an extremely cheesy name and extra cheese on the book covers.. but it contains some great concepts and is action packed. I highly recommmend it if you are into sci-fi and can ignore the cover art of the second and third books.
Mark
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Read it more than once. It's just good sci-fi fun. Fast paced action, and interesting characters -- lots of twists and turns. I highly recommend it.
Ntharotep Dragon
Very intriguing and insane characters in this trilogy. Not your typical scifi fair not even your typical postapocalyptic fair.
I rather enjoyed these books.
Phil
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is great action science fiction.
Scooby Doo
Very unique sci-fi premise, engaging mystery, good action. The mystery reveal at the end was kind of too much, but didn't detract in a big way. Suffered from occasional confusing POV shifts in the middle of a scene.
Lyle Young
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dystopian sci-fi thriller; humanity leaves a ruined Earth and migrates to a peaceful outerspace colony. In the last days of Earth, a genetically engineered assasin species: The Paratwa (two bodies sharing the same mind, and bred to 'get off' on violence) get out of control, create their own religion, turn on their creators, and the whole damn planet had to be nuked just to deal with them! Hundreds of years later, a single Paratwa (?) is woken up inside the colony and runs amok. The colony's on ...more
Clifton Hill
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bio-engineered sociopaths, space colonies, an irradiated earth, and a whole lotta bloody-fun going on.

The Paratwa were bio-engineered, lab grown humans, born in pairs with a single linked-consciousness. With a tendency toward terrible violence, the highest of their breed rose up, and as humanity fell, they left the planet a blasted wasteland. But before all was lost, they were brought down.

Or so humanity thought.

Hundreds of years later, humanity huddled away in 20 mile long cylindrical colonies
Mark
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liege Killer
By Christopher Hinz

Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Published In: New York, NY
Date: 1987
Pgs: 458

Summary:
200 years ago, an apocalypse swept across Earth. Man escaped to orbital colonies leaving the madness behind. The Paratwa, the deadly assassin genetic twins, were extinct. Man lived in harmony on the edge of space scattered among hundreds of colonial cylinders. But…something has awakened. A piece of the past has come back. The body count is rising. Can the civilized future man embrace w
Andy Mac
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable book. My wife picked this up for free at work, and I thought I'd give it a shot. It's not "hard" science fiction by any real stretch (which is my general preference when I'm able to find it), but it also didn't deal in "magic" science fiction. Things seemed plausible enough.

The story itself was a good one. It felt a bit rushed at the end compared to the pace throughout the rest of the book, but it kept me entertained from beginning to end and kept me guessing about what mi
Jean Tessier
A very hasty re-read during the holidays. I skipped some of the more boring
parts and focused on exposition about the main gimmick of the series: the
paratwa.

First one best of the lot. Others are typical three-act story: first act is
self-contained. Second act expands on the first and sets up the third. Third
act tries to explain everything, wrap up all arcs, and has unexpected twists.
Peter Tillman
Eh. On sale for $2, and that may be more than it's worth. I read Ash Ock (Paratwa #2) back in 1993 and like it pretty well then. But I'm struggling with #1. First-novel teething problems? I'm stalled at 21%, 12/6/16.

OK, I'm formally giving up. Not horrible, but too many books to waste time on it. Eh.
Baldurian
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il risveglio dei Paratwa è un ottimo thriller fantascientifico: Hinz ha messo insieme una trama solida, un'ambientazione convincente e un cast di personaggi ben tratteggiato. Questo romanzo, senza essere particolarmente innovativo, è la prova che la fantascienza old school, se ben scritta, non passa mai di moda.
Etan Ilfeld
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sci-fi books ever written!
Thomas Lassanske
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I've read it two or three times, and everyone I've introduced it to have loved it as well.
Mzungo
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good pace. Plenty of action. Overall imaginative story. It works well as a stand-alone book, though I will be interested in reading the next book of the series.
  • The 97th Step (Matador, #5)
  • The Coming of the Horseclans (Horseclans, #1)
  • Killer Chromosomes (The Destroyer, #32)
  • A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)
  • REHO
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • Who Goes Here? (Warren Peace, #1)
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Science Fiction
Christopher Hinz is an author of science fiction thrillers – novels, comic books, screenplays and more.

Born in 1951 in Reading, PA, USA, his early passion for all things SF led to the writing of his first “book” in elementary school. A four-page epic, it featured a giant monster brought back from Mars who escapes and climbs the tallest building in Chicago, only to be blasted from that perch with a
More about Christopher Hinz...

Paratwa Saga (3 books)
  • Ash Ock (Paratwa Saga #2)
  • The Paratwa (Paratwa Saga #3)