Start by marking “The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal” as Want to Read:
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
On hit TV shows, in best-selling books, blockbuster films, video games, and comics, pop culture has been overrun by hordes of vampires, zombies, werewolves, ghosts, wizards, and other paranormal creatures. Luckily, the authors of the Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series are back with all-new, expert advice designed to help readers fend off the furry, fanged, freaky ...more
Published May 11th 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published April 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook

Andrew
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
What I learned: How to sell my soul and get out of the contract, how to astral project (useful), how to survive a love triangle between a werewolf and a vampire, and (my favorite) how to survive if there are children in my corn. The book however did not have instructions on how to get rid of the damn Sasquatch in my house, which was why I bought the book. Hurm. Oh well, still quite informative.
Nick Jones
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Disappointingly, this is actually The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Horror Movies, rather than a guide to dealing with (supposedly) real phenomena. How do I protect my farm animals from chupacabras? Doesn't say. How do I prove bigfoot exists? Doesn't say. How do I protect myself from people with psychic powers trying to read my mind? Doesn't say, but you probably already learned that when you wrenched the knowledge of this book from my brain. Thanks for nothing, David Borgenicht.

What
Stephanie
This was a cute quick read. There were a few (very few) laugh-out-loud lines. Mostly it was just smirk worthy, which was nice too. The pop-culture references were fun and I had a good time reading it and that's what matters most. There were also a few typo's, enough to be noticeable, which was a bit of a downer.
Alison C
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal , by David Borgenicht and Ben H. Winters, is a quite funny book, one of an apparently endless series that purports to tell readers exactly what to do (and what not to do) in a given situation where one's survival is at stake. This particular book tells us how to get rid of a ghost, how to catch a unicorn and how to adjust oneself to becoming a werewolf (or to dating one), among many other possible scenarios. It's very silly, but the nice t ...more
Sherry
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal is the classic handbook but packed with new illustrated instructions for crucial scenarios ranging from the domestic (How to Host a Cocktail Party When Your House is Haunted) to the scary (How to Survive a Zombie Attack in the First Day, First Week, and Long Term) to the practical (How to Break Up with a Vampire). This version is heavy on the comedic entertainment value and lacking on the real life lessons. There are a lot of vampire / werewo ...more
Nesie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A fun, quick read, for the hour or so I took paging through it. It's very much like their other "Worst Case" books, though it isn't as funny as their dating one.

I couldn't shake the feeling that they read a copy of Zombie Survival Guide while watching Twilight and decided to crank this out. I can't recommend this book at the full price; there are many other, better, spoofs on the genre out there. But if you picked it up for $4. 99 at Urban Outfitters like I did? It's well worth the cost of a pi
Conrad Zero
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
A different flavor of the "worst-case scenario survival" guides. The section "how to curse someone" reads like an actual how-to, without a single chuckle. But "How to survive watching a cursed Japanese videotape" or "How to catch a unicorn" make you laugh before you even start reading them.

Plenty of pop-culture references, but not enough laughs for me to recommend it to any but true paranormal/dark humor fans.
Nabilla
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to
For it's size this book contained more than expected even having read a few of the guides before. By necessity of the subject matter the advice is very general and tongue in cheek.
If you liked previous guides, the paranormal interests you (especially if you don't actually believe it exists) and you don't actually expect the advice to be of practical use you will probably like this book.
Roy Hudson
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nerdy good fun for any fan of the horror genre. I loved how they included horror movie trends of the past decade, like the cursed videotape and "how to survive being a survivor of a disaster you were meant to die in." Great stuff!
Levi
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Just a fun little book to use when you're in a bind and need to know things like how to survive a zombie attack, how to know if you're in the Twilight Zone, how to avoid Alien Abductions, or how to break up with a Vampire.

You know, paranormally useful stuff.
HeavyReader
Dec 25, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: how-to
I didn't even know this book existed! Now that I know, I want to read it. I hope I can find it on BookMooch or at a thrift store.
J. Gowin
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Few things are as important as dealing properly with those kids in the corn field.
Ashley-Marie
Hint: Don't read late at night. Especially when you get freaked out by the Twilight Zone.
Andrew Uys
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun little book collecting the common-lore of supernatural beasties and how to fight them, it'll make a cute stocking stuffer for the fantasy-lover in your life.
Angelo Chiriaco
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
entertaining
Stine
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Det står ikke noe nytt her som du ikke har sett på film fra før.
Nancy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I giggled for a good five minutes over the How To Survive If There Are Children In Your Corn title.
Jerel
May 03, 2012
Felicia
Nov 12, 2013
Đức Đragon
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2015
Oct 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Life: Life
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College: College
  • The Vampire Survival Guide: How to Fight, and Win, Against the Undead (Zen of Zombie Series)
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • 2001 Things to Do before You Die
  • The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • The Boys Book
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream of the Crap
  • Uncle John's 24-Karat Gold Bathroom Reader
  • Asimov Laughs Again: More Than 700 Jokes, Limericks and Anecdotes
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2
  • Art and Science of Dumpster Diving
  • The Choir Boats (Longing for Yount #1)
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Fidelity