Start by marking “A Star Looks Down” as Want to Read:
A Star Looks Down

A Star Looks Down

Professor Alexander van Zeust's sister was ill, and her four young children needed someone to care for them. He asked Beth Partridge-- kind, capable, sensible Beth--to watch them for a week. She did a fantastic job, so one week extended to two, and then longer.... The professor was happy--the children loved Beth and their mother knew they were in good hands. Everyone was h ...more
Paperback, Best of Betty Neels, 218 pages
Published August 2007 by Harlequin Presents (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about A Star Looks Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Star Looks Down

Kay
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 Stars ~ Beth is a nurse in the prep and surgical recovery of a busy London hospital. She lives with her brother who in the same hospital is completing his training to be a doctor. Rushed one morning, Beth literally runs into a tall, large man with her bicycle. She meets him again later and learns that he's a Dutch surgeon lecturing and performing surgeries for a few weeks. Her brother William is quite impressed with him and is shocked when he hears how familiar she speaks to the esteemed Profe ...more
Lynn Spencer
B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars We’ve had a pretty mild winter here, but I could still use a few afternoons to curl up with a comfort read. This time around, I sought the comfort of a favorite author. I read a fair amount of category romance, but I’ve never found another author quite like Betty Neels. She wrote for Harlequin for decades, but somehow her books always have a fairytale feeling to them as the setting of her books seems anything but real or modern. If you like her world of fabulously rich – ...more
Pamela Shropshire
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Elizabeth Partridge is a recovery room nurse in London. She comes from Somerset, once the daughter of the manor; after her father and then her mother died, her elder stepbrother inherited and made it clear that Beth and her younger brother, William, were no longer welcome. So they moved to London, she to train and then work as a nurse and William to study to become a physician.

Beth, on her bicycle, runs into a large man one day. He turns out to be a Dutch professor of surgery, Alexander van Zeus
Idella Sanders
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tender romance!

I am, and it seems, always, have been a fan of Ms. Neels' books. She has a way of drawing one into the scenes without boredom. The characters are distinctive, and charming. The relationships are tender, and sweet. I recommend all her works to those who enjoy old fashioned boy meets girl romance. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!
Helen Manning
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TGB spins a good tale here. Beth and Alexander make wonderful leads and he is a little more forthcoming in his feelings than your typical RDD. Great supporting characters. The children are nicely imaged; impish and mischievous. A fun read.
Bhagya
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Well am pleased at last professor asked her 2 marry him
Kobie
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
love her books! hard to believe this was written in 1975. feels older than that. tot ziens means goodbye, as in see you later.
E_bookpushers
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Again a read by a comfort author. Not one of my favorites by her.
Mudpie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bad-hero
Livia
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A STAR LOOKS DOWN, is one of the hard-to-find Betty Neels that I very recently acquired.

The Rich Dutch Doctor has a sister that needs an emergency appendectomy. She has four children and one of his British trainees has a sister that is perfect with kids. Nurse Elizabeth Partridge agrees to take on the job of caring for these kids while, Professor Alexander van Zeust's sister is recuperating.

The kids are easy to deal with except for the oldest, ten year old Dirk who turns out to be the rotten ap
Audrey Hayler
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner for Betty Neels

This is my favourite story of Betty Neel's book. Because unusually , the Dutch Surgeon hero loves the English nurse on sight, when she literally bumps into him on her bicycle. It is her gentle voice and efficient nursing abilities why he wants her to take care of his brothers sickly wife and four children in Holland. A happy ending? If course. Just one thing would enhance the book? I wish It was on Audible!
Monique E. Lacroix
Enjoyed it very much

I haven't read one story by Betty Neels that I haven't liked. Some more than others but I liked them all. This one is a bit above the middle. Great story!
Patricia schmit
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice Romance

Well written with just enough description to keep one informed of places. The children's story comes through as entertaining, and brings a smile or two. But of course it's the romantic part that's best as always.

Maggie
Melody
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Luke
  • Kyriakis Curse (The Kyriakis Series Book 1)
  • Dido's Prize
  • Knight of Glory (Kingdom of Arnhem, #2)
  • Slave Girl in the Harem
  • A Walk in the Clouds
  • The Rebellious Ward (Regency, #2)
  • Again
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Beloved Highlander
  • Bound To Please
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: Historicals #3)
  • Dakota Child (Dakota #1)
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • My Forever Love
  • Beguiled (Devoted, #2)
  • Long, Tall Texans:  Emmett, Regan  Burke: Emmett\Regan\Burke
  • The Gladiator
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more