Start by marking “Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!” as Want to Read:
Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!

Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!

(Anna Hibiscus #4)

Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa. Amazing Africa. But she is spending Christmas with her granny in Canada. She cant wait to see snow for the first time! And how will it feel to be so far from home?
Published March 1st 2011 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!

Start your review of Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!
Cheryl
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did not know dogs were not pets in Africa, or at least in the city in Nigeria. So Canada is cold, has dogs inside the house, and has bedrooms for only one person. Oh what an experience for Anna Hibiscus!
We all love these delightful books and are sad that this is the last one available as an audiobook. We have really enjoyed the Nigerian narration that helped bring Anna and her large family to life for us. As usual, the stories included are fun and joyful but also give you another perspective to consider without feeling preachy. We can’t wait for the physical library to open again so we can checkout the remaining four books in the series.
Lisa
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This might be my favorite of the first four Anna Hibiscus books, though we’ve loved all of them. This one focuses a bit more on cultural differences because Anna Hibiscus finally goes to Canada. The book is wonderful and the narrator is fantastic. (We listened to the audiobook version.)
Abigail
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna Hibiscus / Beginning Chapter-Book Readers
Anna Hibiscus leaves her home and family in Africa to visit her Canadian grandmother in this fourth installment of Atinuke's chapter-book series devoted to her adventures. Like its predecessors, there are four short stories presented here, beginning with Anna Goes to Canada, in which Anna bids farewell to her family, sleeps through most of her flight, and finally meets Granny Canada for the first time. Her worries that she will not be happy in this new place are assuaged by her first sight of sn ...more
Sarita
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, cute

Anna Hibiscus was a little girl who lived in Africa. She lived in a big white house with her whole family. Her cousins, her aunties and uncles, her mother and father and her Grandmother and Grandfather. Everybody in Anna's family was born in Africa, including Anna. Everybody except Anna's mother. Anna's mother was from Canada, and that's where snow was.
Anna wanted to see snow and play in snow so badly. So her family planed a trip for her to go there. Anna would visit her mother's mother, Gra
Marjorie Ingall
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Anna Hibiscus leaves "Africa, amazing Africa" for the first time to visit her Granny Canada a world away. (Anna's mother is white and her daddy is black.) She sees snow for the first time, and learns that dogs -- which in Africa are scary, bitey, germ-ridden, garbage-eating wild things -- can be excellent. This may be my favorite book in the series. Or maybe not. I LOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH I TELL YOU.
Brenda
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What, no more Anna Hibiscus books? Say it ain't so! Natalie and I loved the whole series and can't wait for more.
Franki Sibberson
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this series--how have I missed it. Time to order all 5!
Melisa
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was another great entry in the Anna Hibiscus series, including all of Anna Hibiscus's visit to Canada to meet her grandmother for the first time. She plays in the snow, learns to make friends with a dog, and celebrates a Canadian Christmas while remembering what Christmas in Africa is like, providing a nice comparison between her two worlds.
Madigan Mirza
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This charming series features easy to read, realistic fiction short stories about Anna Hibiscus, an earnest and funny little girl growing up in "Africa. Amazing Africa." She lives with her parents, her extended family, and her two baby twin brothers who simply go by the names, "Double" and "Trouble."

In this set of adventures, Anna is off to Canada to visit with her white grandmother. She has never seen snow before, is frightened of Grandma Canada's pet dog, isn't sure if she'll be able to stoma
Nancy Kotkin
Children's chapter book series about a young girl growing up in Africa, within her family's walled-in compound. The stories are bursting with authentic African scenery and daily life. The protagonist is only five or six years old, which is young for a chapter book, but it works well for this series because it allows readers to learn things about African culture while Anna herself grows in her understanding of the world around her. While Anna's family is financially secure, Anna and her readers c ...more
Mary
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I really liked this book of the Anna Hibiscus series. Here comes her trip to Canada. What will it be like? Her family advises her on all the things to watch out for but she comes to find out that things are different in Canada. Dogs do come in the house and are not like the wild skinny dogs in Africa that eat from the garbage. She finally sees snow and makes friend. She makes one final friend who coincidentally is taking a trip to Africa to see her father on the same flight that Anna Hibiscus is ...more
Christina
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delicious drawings, heartwarming story and wonderful characters. I definitely want to read more from this author. The story involves a young girl of indeterminant age, perhaps early elementary, who travels from her native Africa to visit relatives in Canada. Author Atinuke has an incredible way of expressing complicated emotions with extremely simple descriptions. There is a grace and terseness to her writing that is highly satisfying. It is warm and childlike but never childish or silly. It's k ...more
Betsy
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think the Anna Hibiscus books get better as you read through the series! While my daughter (age 6) and I enjoyed the first one, we've enjoyed each consecutive one more and more (and we've read them totally out of order after book 1). This was the second one we read. We enjoyed Anna's first sled ride, her determination to be herself in the midst of a cold, snowy Canada, her insecurity turned into friendships and memories, and her relationship with her grandmother (besides, who wouldn't want to ...more
Sherrie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna is off to visit her Grandmother, who lives in Canada. Anna lives in Africa and has never been away from home. When she gets to Canada, she finds it's very cold and lots of snow. Her grandmother has a dog, Qimmac, who Anna doesn't trust. In her country dogs are bad, they bite, they are dirty and they give you sickness. So seeing Qimmac, she thinks he's a bad dog. But they soon make friends. Anna also makes friends with the children of the neighborhood. She learns how to slide down a snowy hi ...more
Maren
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
I love Anna Hibiscus. Atinuke has an amazing talent for relating to a young child's emotions and to make other complex issues presentable to very young readers. Culture shock and prejudice were presented in very simple yet effective ways in this book, but it was still completely charming and heartwarming. I'm sad that my oldest feels she has outgrown this series, but I'm looking forward to her younger siblings getting to experience Anna Hibiscus in the near future.
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anna Hibiscus lives in amazing Africa with her father’s large family, but now she is visiting wintry Canada alone for the first time to stay with her maternal grandmother. Her visit addresses the cultural complexities of being a visitor in a foreign land, and particularly an African in Canada. The writing avoids being heavy handed, however, and Anna Hibiscus also has plenty of fun enjoying the activities Canadian winter has to offer. Age 7+.
Heather
In this entry, Anna Hibiscus is visiting Granny Canada all by herself and learning that a lot of things are different than at home. Not only the snow, but the food and the clothes and the dogs. And without all of her cousins surrounding her, Anna Hibiscus learns about making friends and standing up for her differences. This series just continues to be fabulous!
Karen Arendt
Each chapter in the Anna hibiscus stories is a story of its own. In the fourth Anna story, Anna is finally going to Canada to visit her grandmother. There she learns that dogs are not always dirty, full of worms and germs, and bite. She also shows other children not to be judgmental about people from other countries. This was my favorite Anna story yet!
Daria
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Need to order rest in series. Just disappointed that this title doesn't mention the country she lives in, just states that she lives in Africa. Towards end of text, does state that Africa is a big continent with lots of countries. Can't wait to share this with students when they return.
Claire Carlisle
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Anna Hibiscus series is wonderful. Its gentle, loving storytelling is an antidote to today's madness. I'm reading the whole series, but Have Fun is, to my mind, the pinnacle so far. Perfect little story, wonderful illustrations. It's worth a read just to witness Anna seeing snow for the first time, and the lovely double-spread illustration that represents the moment.
B
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So far, this has been my favorite with Anna leaving behind her family for a month to visit her Granny in Canada and experiencing snow and another culture which includes having dogs live inside a house. Her new experiences with warm clothing, "yellow socks that went right up and turned into knickers", and the beautiful and cute illustrations warmed my heart.
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This story tells about Anna's trip from her home in Africa to visit her grandmother in Canada during Christmas, so it provides readers with a peek at some of the differences in those lifestyles and cultures. This is part of a series that's a great pick for younger advanced readers.
Alison Donnelly
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
Anna's dream of seeing snow comes true as she visits Granny Canada. This is a great series that makes the world seem smaller for children and teaches them how things can be both different and the same, no matter where we travel.
Ginger
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful early reader chronicling the adventures of Anna Hibiscus asshe visits her Granny Canada.
Jacqueline
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy to read. I liked the multicultural aspect comparing wintertime in Canada to Anna's home in Africa. Anna is a lovable character.
Tracy
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These books make me want to visit Canada and Africa.
Lisa
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the waggly warm illustrations of Qimmiq the dog!
Hillvan

• The Shortest Day
  • The Littles
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Here and There
  • Almost American Girl
  • While the Clock Ticked (The Hardy Boys, #11)
  • Everett Anderson's Goodbye
  • Nate the Great Saves the King of Sweden
  • Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #3)
  • The Whipping Boy
  • This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World
  • Hush Hush, Forest
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Hanukkah
  • Holes in the Sky
  • Akimbo and the Lions
Atinuke is a Nigerian-born author who started her career doing traditional oral storytelling. Her books include a Boston Globe–Horn Book Honor Winner, a Notable Book for a Global Society, a Cybils Award Winner, and an Africana Award Winner. She lives in Wales.

Anna Hibiscus (8 books)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!
  • Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Go Well, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Love from Anna Hibiscus!
  • You're Amazing, Anna Hibiscus!

News & Interviews