Start by marking “Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction

Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction

Critical Theory emerged in the 1920s from the work of the Frankfurt School, the circle of German-Jewish academics who sought to diagnose-and, if at all possible, cure-the ills of society, particularly fascism and capitalism. In this book, Stephen Eric Bronner provides sketches of leading representatives of the critical tradition (such as George Lukacs and Ernst Bloch, Theo ...more
Published 2011 by Oxford University Press

To ask other readers questions about Critical Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Theory

Start your review of Critical Theory: A Very Short Introduction
Johannes Bertus
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This might be a good book on some level, but as an introduction it fails completely. I wish the editor of the series would remind authors of the difference between academic and popular writing - avoid esoteric jargon, explain references to lesser known thinkers, etc. This book assumes far too much prior knowledge to qualify as an introduction.
WL
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
The book should be rewritten. I'm generally interested in philosophy and sociology, but I find the presentation in this book very unclear. The author jumps around from figure to figure, making brief comments on each. He almost assumes we are already familiar with their ideas when we're not, as this is an introductory book. I was thoroughly confused and couldn't continue with the book after one-third of it.
Leona
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
A good book for people informed enough not to need it.
Devon
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Helpful in providing context to a class on critical theory, but without the knowledge from that class this book would be incomprehensible as an introduction. The author frequently neglects to define specialized terms and the reader is left to infer what they mean.
Andrew Ringsmuth
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Would you like to learn about an intellectual field so full of verbose waffle and flourishing vagaries that you can see whatever meaning you like in it? Would you like to suffer through page after page of untestable claims about the nature of the world and marvel at the gargantuan self indulgence of their authors? Yes?! Then this may well be the book for you! To be fair, the author seems to have done a good job of summarising the history of these bizarre cognitive contortions; he’s just the mess ...more
Muhamed
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theory
The author does a great job of introducing critical theory and its key figures. He provides abundant quotes - something quite rare in the VSI series - and this makes the contact with the thinkers of the group more concrete. I am not sure what to make of the author's own opinions at the very end of the book, but imho he did a good job of presenting ideas even when he disagreed with them. Overall, one of the best books in VSI series.
David Berry
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
I read Peter Singer's outstanding introduction to Hegel from the same series. This book is two leagues down. It superficially treats the intellectual concerns of the Frankfurt School and turns glib in its contemporary politics.
l.
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
books like this are why my engagement with theory over the last six years of university has been incredibly piecemeal.
Allyson
Sep 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Absolutely boring. And when it wasn't boring, I didn't understand any of it. A very short introduction for experts is more like it.
Skye
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theory
Incomprehensibly organized. Useful only perhaps as a source for a reading list of the Frankfurt School. The writing was so contrived, there were some sentences I was sure were grammatically incorrect. Overall an unsuccessful book if intended to be a true introduction.
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy, sociology
Not great as an introduction, assumes you already know a lot about the topic and uses a lot of jargon.
Katrina Sark
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introduction: What is Critical Theory?

p.1 – Critical theory was generated between World War I and World War II, and its most important representatives would wage an unrelenting assault on the exploitation, repression, and alienation embedded within Western civilization.

p.2 – Both Kant and Hegel incarnated the cosmopolitan and universal assumption deriving from the European Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. They relied upon reason to combat superstition, prejudice, cruel
Gnuehc Ecnerwal
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
(Second Edition)
This book provides a thumbnail summary of the very wide scope that the ambitious Frankfurt School tried to conquer with their critical analysis. Needless to say, it is lacking in details. It does an adequate job in covering the key figures and their contributions to the movement. The author went beyond retracing the interactions between the ideas that came out of the Frankfurt School and the greater political and cultural environments that they reached, he chose to add some of h
Mohit Dhanjani
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little detour, courtesy of Prof. Avijit Pathak.
It was entirely a new perspective and subject for me to consider.
This book was light, smooth, short and updated.

Considering it was new to me and there were a lot of books mentioned in it, I will have to reread it sometime later.

Overall, a book if you are interested in the Frankfurt School.
Stephen Bedard
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I hear many people speaking of critical theory but with very little explanation (or understanding) of what it is. For some, it is enough to know that it is linked to Marxism. I found this introduction to critical theory to be helpful to at least situate the discussion for me. More reading is needed but this is a good first start.
Jim Hurley
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just like the title says - very informative.
Daniel Cunningham
I'm going to second what a number of other reviewers have written, namely that for the uninitiated the lack of definitions or introductions of a number of terms is confusing, to say the least. It is odd because the author notes early on that excessive jargon and a certain amount of obscurantism was built into the writing of the critical theorists more or less on purpose. Having pointed that out he, or his editors, leave out the extra signposts and definitions that would combat this.

That said, I
Frank Spencer
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you read this book, you will know more about Critical Theory than you did before reading it. The author is very experienced, and covers the area well. I saw critical theory more as interdisciplinary than I did when I started. It covers topics in Sociology, Philosophy, Psychology, Political Science, and many other traditional disciplines. Eric Fromm is covered quite extensively in the book. I will probably cover him in my book on Healers and Feelings. There is an entry about Fromm here http:// ...more
Ian
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I felt like this could have been written much better. The author was too verbose and used a lot of philosophical terms that a layman wouldn't know without defining them. He injected his opinion quite a bit too, but that was a good thing at times.

On Critical Theory itself, it seems like an interesting way of interpreting the world and the idea that subjectivity as a refutation of the reverence of the concrete, which pervades society, is important. At the same times it is distant and pretentious.
Nat
Aug 20, 2018 added it
Somewhat unsympathetic introduction to critical theory, which is criticized for being too critical and not constructive enough in the final chapter. But some of this book's less pessimistic proposals would have benefited from more negativity, like the following (written in 2011):

"Entertainment and reflection are not always mutually exclusive. Alternative media and cyberspace offer new options for progressive forces" (p.114).
Ben Hourigan
Not what I was hoping for, which was a plain-language guide to critical theory. Once near-nonsense terms like “the ontology of false conditions” are introduced, Bronner happily relies on them for the rest of the book. It’s a shame, because plenty of interesting ideas came out of the Frankfurt School, but incomprehensible writing style is often a major flaw. Critical theory deserves a guide that clearly communicates what it has to offer, but this is not it.
Jamshid
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a person with no firm background in philosophy, I found this book too heavy and abstract to understand. So it is definitely not a good start for somebody who wants to get a hint or just be introduced to the topic.

Though one can find some other resources in the book that seem to be more comprehensible and thus a better starting point.
Margaret Dugger
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A lot of information that isn't necessarily organized in the greatest way. It's very helpful in capturing the larger picture. Especially when you've already read a bit of Critical Theory, and provides a nice "further reading" list.
Aaron
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Maybe it is the subject matter, but I found this book difficult to understand. Part of the problem with what little critical theory I’ve read is that it can be abstract. So I would have liked a book that was more concrete and clearer.
Sandra
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
this was a very uncomfortable experience... I can't say much about it because it was very hard to understand.
Paris Sel
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Needs a "Not so Short Introduction to Philosophical Jargon" first
Steve
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really hope that there's a better entry point for getting acquainted with critical theory than this, because the most beneficial part of this one for me is probably the bibliography.
Marc Porlier
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Very short, but not an introduction.
Ben Bampton
Decent introduction. Poorly written.

Stephen Eric Bronner neatly charts all the main thinkers, themes and ideas from the Frankfurt School. Their relevance to other thinkers - there's a good section relating Bloch and Marcuse to Freud - is a helpful extra. Bronner is especially good on the culture industry, the conflicting methods of the School's members and the practical political relevance (or irrelevance) of the thinkers, to both their own times and today. The final chapter, where Bronner criti
Greg Mathis
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Imagine knowing very little about horses. You walk into the bookstore and see a piece entitled “Horses: A Very Short Introduction.” “Great!” you think. But then you read it. Though you’re a reasonably well educated individual, it soon becomes viscerally clear that the author is not interested in *introducing* anyone to Horses. He may even be attempting to project his own sense of intelligence by exhibiting to his readership his deep knowledge of all Horse species, kingdoms, and phyla. But at the ...more

• Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Postmodernism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Foucault: A Very Short Introduction
  • Poststructuralism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Continental Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • Marxism and Literary Criticism
  • Fools, Frauds and Firebrands: Thinkers of the New Left
  • Hermeneutics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
  • Like A Thief In Broad Daylight: Power in the Era of Post-Humanity
  • Hegel: A Very Short Introduction
  • Jung: A Very Short Introduction
  • The End of Policing

News & Interviews

“Adorno puts the matter clearly in one of his 1965 lectures that dealt with Negative Dialectics: “[P]hilosophy is the contradictory effort to say, through mediation and contextualization, what cannot be said.” The longing for the totally other fosters a situation in which the conceptual must constantly seek to grasp the non-conceptual. The connection is palpable between Adorno’s outlook and that of Beckett in The Unnamable (1953): “I can’t go on. I will go on.” 1 likes
“Luftmensch—the impractical individual whose imagination has lifted him beyond the world.” 0 likes