Start by marking “Home/Birth: A Poemic” as Want to Read:
Home/Birth: A Poemic

Home/Birth: A Poemic

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A lyric essay & total collaboration of extraordinary & shocking beauty, this hybrid text troubles the waters of genre, gender, motherhood, and the politics & poetics of birthing. An exacting and honest conversation between two of our most interesting writers and our most dedicated activists.
Published December 1st 2010 by 1913 Press

To ask other readers questions about Home/Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home/Birth

Melissa
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Blue
I loved this book. As soon as I got it from the library, I started reading it and didn't put it down for a couple of hours, reading almost all of it, skipping to the end, crying a little. It's really an incredible document of an honest, powerful, beautiful conversation between these two women. I've read over half a dozen books about birth, and none like this. My only critique is that some of the lyric poem fragments separating the sections just aren't that good.

I could excerpt from anywhere real
Mia
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have many thoughts about this book, most of which I just want to tell to one particular friend. I loved reading it. It's momentous! I found the telling of the homebirth of Day, a stillborn child, to be profoundly moving, and deeply encouraging. What solace and wisdom and (somehow!) goodness, there. There is a need for a movement toward dying at home, of course. Hospice began that return.

Other thoughts, which I will ask said friend, will be about these things: Do true radicals call themselves r
Megan
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing...I put this book down stunned by the presence and vulnerability of these two authors in this text.
Matthew Salesses

Would be useful if you are thinking about a home birth.
missy jean
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
This "poemic" is cerebral and visceral, painful and beautiful, triggering and illuminating. Kind of like birth.
Katelyn Lucy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
As a midwife and a homebirth mama myself, I know how deeply important birth is to mom's, babies, families. Though I respect the telling of their stories by these poets/writers/mamas, the book does not acknowledge that homebirth is, for many women, an educational and financial privilege, and that idealization of homebirth, oversimplification of the politics of birth and judgement of choice of birthplace/medications/provider/etc. does not further their cause or promote the normalization of homebir ...more
Lisa M.
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5252, poetry
I saw Greenburg and Zucker read at the 2011 AWP. It was at a workshop that considered the idea of poetic collaboration. Honestly, I remember the other performances more. But the reading inspired me enough to buy this book, which was popular with the literary crowds that year. I attempted reading this shortly after I got home, but I was too busy with my thesis and personal life to get into it. This book is not for people who have issues with control. Originally, I had difficult reading this. This ...more
Patricia
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The advocacy in this book is powerful because the imagery is vivid and honest. Because Zucker and Greenberg are poets, they know how to make words paint a vivid picture and they never shy away from telling the truth as they know it. I can't imagine any women of childbearing age, reading this book and not recognizing the home birth is the best option.

My guess is that I'm the same age as their mothers and they are the age of my daughter and daughters-in-law so I've witnessed the much of the histo
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, non-fiction
I read this book in two days. If I didn't already have a toddler, it would have been one. Lots of good stuff about the fucked up maternity care system in America. Good arguments for home birth and doulas and midwives. Scary statistics about c-sections and unnecessary interventions. It was like reading a conversation about The Business of Being Born.

And holy cow did I cry at the end. Spoiler alert! The Maine home birth ends in stillbirth. Not the thing to read while pregnant and hormonal. And I
Literary Mama
Feb 24, 2012 added it
Shelves: memoir
Home/Birth, affirms a birthing woman's individual knowing, and the right to birth where she feels safest and most empowered. Arielle Greenberg and Rachel Zucker are friends, established poets, and mothers with a variety of birthing experience. Home/Birth is a call and response that weaves together threads of conversation: birth stories (their own and others); legalities and politics; bumper stickers and slogans; humor; sadness; anger; and joy.
Read Literary Mama's full review of Home/Birth here:
Margaret Adams
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book read like a transcript of a conversation between two women--prose-poems of late-night emails back and forth, maybe, but with the to's and from's and date-stamp's deleted. I loved it for the structure of the writing as much as for the content. You don't necessarily have to be a birth junkie AND an unusual-narrative-structure junkie to love this book, but you probably ought to be one or the other.
Summer Thorp-lancaster
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Raw, juicy and true. It was like reading some of the many conversations I've had with my best friend over the years. I deeply appreciate the inclusion of Day's stillbirth, although I imagine it was horrifyingly difficult to write/include.
Khadijah
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wrenching and skilled collaborative work. A must-read.
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes I feel this responsibility to be very normal so that people I'll not think that only freaks can have homebir5hs." - pm. 187

Beautiful. Poignant. Emotional. Love every page.
Laurel
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm still processing this book, and not ready to review, but it knocked me off my feet. I cried, reading it. I ate it in one sitting.
Shin Yu
Nov 13, 2012
Allison
Oct 29, 2017
C
rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2012
  • Lady's Hands, Lion's Heart- A Midwife's Saga
  • Birth Matters:  A Midwife's Manifesta
  • Chronic
  • The Narrow Road to the Interior: Poems
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The Kingdom of Ordinary Time: Poems
  • I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill a Girl: Poems
  • Tender Hooks: Poems
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide (medically updated)
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad for Business
  • Humanimal: A Project for Future Children
  • Diary of a Midwife: The Power of Positive Childbearing
Arielle Greenberg is the author of My Kafka Century (Action Books, 2005) and Given (Verse Press, 2002), along with the chapbooks Shake Her (Dusie Kollektiv, edited and made by Jen Hofer, 2009) and Farther Down: Songs from the Allergy Trials (New Michigan Press, 2003). Her poems have appeared in journals including the American Poetry Review, Denver Quarterly, Black Warrior Review, Crazyhorse and Am ...more
More about Arielle Greenberg...
“What's most aggravating is feeling like I'm a radical for saying something so commonsense.” 1 likes