Start by marking “Not That Kind of Girl” as Want to Read:
Not That Kind of Girl

Not That Kind of Girl

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  9,635 Ratings  ·  674 Reviews
Natalie Sterling wants to be in control. She wants her friends to be loyal. She wants her classmates to elect her student council president. She wants to find the right guy, not the usual jerk her school has to offer. She wants a good reputation, because she believes that will lead to good things.

But life is messy, and it's very hard to be in control of it. Not when there
Published September 1st 2010 by Push

To ask other readers questions about Not That Kind of Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not That Kind of Girl

Emily May
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2012

In short, this book is about high school, sexuality, girl power, challenging the "slut" idea... to say I wanted to love it would be an understatement. This book gets right down to the issues I am interested in and I appreciate any attempt to remind young men and women that, at the end of the day, most of us just really are that kind regardless of gender or sexual preference. As long as it's done with safety and consent, I don't think teen sex is a bad thing.

And I would love, I repeat love, to g
Tatiana
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: ya, 2011
Ok, after meditating on this story during my yoga class, I am going to knock off a star. The more I think about it, the more it seems to me the message this novel sends is rather wishy-washy.

I appreciate any YA book that explores the subject of female sexuality. And Not That Kind Of Girl conveys the sort-of-feminist message that if a girls has sex, she doesn't automatically become a slut, quite well. I just wish the author didn't choose to deliver this message by making the main female characte
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
I really appreciated how complicated the representation of overt female sexuality was and the two different perspectives on that embodied in the characters of Spencer and Natalie. I wanted the pair to interact even more and have that be the focus of the novel. Instead, it descended into a typical good girl mets jock boy romance that's I've seen one hundred times and did nothing to transform Natalie's judgemental attitudes.

If you're looking for more feminist reads, I'd definitely recommend this
Heather
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
When I picked up Not that kind of Girl, I was expecting light and fluffy. After all, the cover boasts a young, pretty couple in the throes of what looks to be a sweet, affectionate kiss. Naturally, I assumed this book would contain a three star YA romance albeit with some added teenage emotional drama for added conflict. In other words, I was expecting a Dessen novel, but what I got was so much more. While I was anticipating a cutesy romance, I received a wonderful tale about what it means to be ...more
Susan
Natalie's a humorless pill, the worst kind of feminist stereotype. She's a bad friend; she's also pushy, manipulative, and controlling. She sneaks away to make out with Connor, who actually is a nice guy, but she's ashamed of what she's doing and very judgmental of his motives.

Beyond the issue that Natalie is straight-up unpleasant and the book is from her POV, Vivian's message about girls and sexuality is about as clear as mud and as well rounded as a brick.

She skates around the idea that adole
Ariana
This book was as beautiful as the cover. I loved it!

The cover
I've been waiting to read this book from the moment I first saw the cover. Look at it. Isn't it beautiful? Not only the girl and the boy (they are cute), but that precise moment.

In my opinion this is one of the best moments in life (not as great as for example, holding your baby in your arms for the first time, but anyways you get my point).
It's one of those moments that fill your heart with joy and anticipation and in every cell of
Cory
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sarah Dessen and Elizabeth Scott
Recommended to Cory by: Tatiana
Eh, not bad. Kind of heavy on the messages though. And the cover is misleading. This isn't really heavy on the romance. Thankfully, it focuses more on girl/girl friendships. The first 1/3rd was four-star material. In fact, it reminded me of Saving Francesca. The second half was two-star material. It was very All-American Girl.

I don't agree with a lot of the messages, and only two characters really stood out: Spencer and Natalie. The rest were two-dimensional. Autumn had potential, but the messag
Nomes
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2011, swoon
Not That Kind of Girl is my third Siobhan Vivian book. I've read all her books in order: A Little Friendly Advice was cute but perhaps too lower YA for me (in themes, vibe). I really loved Same Difference ~ it has some aspects that make the book very much my thing ~ an artistic setting (summer art school) and an older YA crush (her college-aged assistant art teacher-y guy) and it's themes are strong but subtly explored.

However, I struggled with her third novel. Not in terms of reading it (read i
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
I had always known what kind of girl I was...until I didn't.

So, the idea of writing this review makes me laugh. I think it's because I finished it almost a week ago or maybe because I'm not quite sure what to say-and not because I finished it Friday. There were so many things I disliked about this story....but a lot of things I liked, for whatever reason. It was well-written, witty (at times), and had a really cute male lead that made me smile quite a bit-he's gone hand in hand with the books
Janina
Well. I just flew through Not That Kind of Girl in a couple of hours this afternoon. If you are wondering, yes, I actually would have had other, more important things to do. Such as studying, for example. But after exhausting myself pointlessly on a 6x6 matrix for about an hour, I decided to throw in the towel and reward myself with some quality book time. Which is something the main character here, Natalie, probably would not approve of.

Natalie has big goals in life. She is more intelligent th
  • Kiss It
  • Aces Up
  • Mostly Good Girls
  • Rhymes with Cupid
  • Winter Longing
  • The Other Boy
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
  • Tell Me a Secret
  • The Naughty List (The Naughty List, #1)
  • Boys, Girls and Other Hazardous Materials
  • The Unwritten Rule
  • Other Words for Love
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Crash Test Love
  • So Over You
  • The One That I Want
  • Nothing Like You
  • Caleb + Kate
Siobhan Vivian is the author of THE LAST BOY AND GIRL IN THE WORLD (April 2016), as well as THE LIST, NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, SAME DIFFERENCE, and A LITTLE FRIENDLY ADVICE. She also co-wrote BURN FOR BURN series with her best friend JENNY HAN. She currently lives in Pittsburgh.
More about Siobhan Vivian...
“You see, the best thing about wrong decisions is that they don’t prevent you from making the right decisions later on. It’s harder, but it’s not impossible.” 74 likes
“I let myself have feelings for you despite not knowing how this would end.” 37 likes